[comp.windows.ms] ADOBE Type Manager ?'s

atjmw@acad2.alaska.edu (06/11/91)

Excuse my yellowness and lack of experience concerning type managers, but I am
interested in knowing several things about Adobe Type Manager. First, I have a
Okilaser 400, HP Series II compastible. Although I don't forsee any
compatibility issues, is it possible that I might have trouble using this
printer with Adobe Type Manager? Secondly, the Soft fonts I currently use have
jagged edges and look "amateurish". Does Adobe Type Manager clean up the Laser
Printer Font output in addition to the screen appearance of the font? Third,
will Adobe Type Manager convert Type I, II, PostScript Soft fonts to PCL
language for output on an HP laser? And lastly, how is Adobe Type Manager
different from other softfont programs, like Publishers Powerpack?

The reason why I am asking these questions is because I am strongly interested
in purchasing Adobe Type Manager for Windows. However, I want to get an
unbiased opinion concerning it's output efficacy.

-James Wiedle -      PPPP   PPPPPP  PPPP    PPP
                     P   P  PP       PPPP  PPP
                     PPPP   PPPPPP    PPPPPPP	<- AT ACAD2.EDU.AK
                     P          PP      PPP
		     P      PPPPPP      PPP

tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) (06/12/91)

atjmw@acad2.alaska.edu writes:
>Excuse my yellowness and lack of experience concerning type managers, but I am
>interested in knowing several things about Adobe Type Manager. First, I have a
>Okilaser 400, HP Series II compastible. Although I don't forsee any
>compatibility issues, is it possible that I might have trouble using this
>printer with Adobe Type Manager?

ATM uses whatever printer driver you have currently selected in Windows 3.0.
If you can use the printer for graphics in Windows right now, you should have
no problems.

>Secondly, the Soft fonts I currently use have
>jagged edges and look "amateurish". Does Adobe Type Manager clean up the Laser
>Printer Font output in addition to the screen appearance of the font?

ATM only uses PostScript Type 1 fonts.  You can use a printer's cartridge and
soft fonts (i.e. those you would normally use with a PCL printer without ATM.)
or you can turn them off/on at any time with a check box in the ATM control
panel.  But, ATM will not modify them.

>Third,
>will Adobe Type Manager convert Type I, II, PostScript Soft fonts to PCL
>language for output on an HP laser?

As mentioned above, ATM only used Type 1 fonts.  I does not use Type 3 fonts.
No, the characters will not be converted to PCL fonts, ATM actually will send
the printout as graphics data (except for characters you formated for use
with cartridge or soft fonts with that feature turned on.)  You will be
sending much more data to the printer so printing will be slower than without
ATM, but you can scale your ATM fonts from 4 - n (I've made characters the
size of the paper so only one character would fit per page.)