[comp.windows.ms] WfW question

bboone@kean.ucs.mun.ca (LATE NIGHT WITH .....) (06/05/90)

In article <45720@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bose@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bhaskar Bose) writes:

 >I am considering purchasing a word processor for windows.  The choices are:
 >AMI, AMI Professional, or MS Word for Windows.  I am looking for a word
 >processor that isjust as easy to use for short one page memos, as well as
 >large documents. The word processor should be simple to use, but still be full
 >featured (spell checker, index generation, etc).  Any comments would be
 >helpfull.  Thanks in advance.

Creating tables and equations in my documents is very important to me.
Can these packages do a good job with them?

brian

akm@getafix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (06/07/90)

In article <92987@kean.ucs.mun.ca> bboone@kean.ucs.mun.ca (LATE NIGHT WITH .....) writes:
>In article <45720@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bose@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bhaskar Bose) writes:
>>
>Creating tables and equations in my documents is very important to me.
>Can these packages do a good job with them?

Tables are a breeze, just downright fun with word for windows.
Equations it can sorta handle. A lot depends on whether your printer
driver/printer fonts support symmbol fonts. If not, you are out of
luck. So, I get resonable symbol fonts on my LX-800, but garbage on my
Deskjet, which is really sad because I do my "publish quality" papers
on the Deskjet. End up prnting them on a Laserwriter offf a
Macintosh... Sigh.

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

gouvea@zariski.harvard.edu (Fernando Gouvea) (06/11/91)

Here's a strange winword problem:  I made some changes to the macros in
the letter.dot template that came with version 1.1, and the result works
pretty well, except that it *always* asks me if I want to save changes to
letter.dot, even when no changes were made...  It seems that something I
did sets the "changes" flag irrespective of whether any real changes were
made.  Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

Fernando Gouvea   ---- gouvea@heac.mast.queensu.ca

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (06/12/91)

In article <6988@husc6.harvard.edu> gouvea@zariski.harvard.edu (Fernando Gouvea) writes:
>Here's a strange winword problem:  I made some changes to the macros in
>the letter.dot template that came with version 1.1, and the result works
>pretty well, except that it *always* asks me if I want to save changes to
>letter.dot, even when no changes were made...  It seems that something I
>did sets the "changes" flag irrespective of whether any real changes were
>made.  Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?

There is a pari of macros, I don't know precisely what they are called now,
that change the margin settings between paper and stationary... And these
macros modify the menus...  They act as a toggle, so if you change the setting
during a session, you will get prompted to save the template.

It may be that the actual state of this toggle is out of kilter with what
you have set up in AutoOpen or AutoNew as the setting -- so AutoOpen is
always resetting it to the opposite of what the "disk" state is.

You might try loading while holding down a shift key (this will bypass
any automacros) and examine the menu under Format...