[comp.windows.ms] Adobe Type Mgr questions

stevek@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Steve Kauder) (06/11/91)

Hi,

I am actually planning to get some music printing software which
runs under Windows 3.0.  (The package is called Finale.)

It seems that I'll also need to get Adobe Type Manager even though
my [old] Laserjet Plus [2mb] doesn't support PostScript.  Soooooo,
my questions are:
    Comments/feedback on ATM
    Pitfalls to avoid
    Versions of ATM to look for, to avoid
    Anything else about ATM I should know

More details on my system:
    '386
    4mb of ram
    20mb free disk space
    I have DOS 4.01 (if that matters)
    I have a disk cache and a print cache
    I still have 2mb free ram
    I generally do not run Windows.  Most of my software is DOS-based
        and I run it from DOS.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Kauder                       Phone: 303-229-3541
WSY/Colorado Escalations           Unix Mail: stevek@hpfcla

"Computers, Music, Astrology, The Course in Miracles, what's next??"

mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) (06/13/91)

In article <7180001@hpfcmgw.HP.COM> stevek@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Steve Kauder) writes:

>I am actually planning to get some music printing software which
>runs under Windows 3.0.  (The package is called Finale.)
>
>It seems that I'll also need to get Adobe Type Manager even though
>my [old] Laserjet Plus [2mb] doesn't support PostScript.  Soooooo,

That should not be a requirement to get ATM unless Finale only
supports PS.  Windows supports the LaserJet so that should be
enough.  Where you have problems is in the choice of fonts
(perhaps Finale wants to print small words? I don't know
music.)

>my questions are:
>    Comments/feedback on ATM

I like it.  It works.

>    Pitfalls to avoid

Don't download too many fonts from cica.  Do devote enough RAM to
ATM.

>    Versions of ATM to look for, to avoid

There is only one -- 1.1.  It comes with 13 fonts; the optional
Plus Pack comes 22 to make the 35 fonts that are standard on PS
printers.  There are three other font packages that are good
deals if you want any of those fonts.

>    Anything else about ATM I should know
>
>More details on my system:
>    '386
>    4mb of ram
>    20mb free disk space

Be careful.  Windows, Finale, and ATM  will need space.

>    I have DOS 4.01 (if that matters)

You might be interested in checking out DOS 5.0.  It frees up
a bit more RAM.

>    I have a disk cache and a print cache

Disable the print cache before you go into Windows.  I use the
standard SMARTDRV as my disk cache and (when I only had 4M) that
was about the minimum that worked well.

>    I still have 2mb free ram
>    I generally do not run Windows.  Most of my software is DOS-based
>        and I run it from DOS.

You can still run DOS things from Windows.  Or you can exit windows
all together.

--
Mike Lipsie
dosbears!mikel@pyramid.com