[comp.windows.ms] Mac Vs. Windows?

hal@world.std.com (Harry A Levinson) (05/10/91)

I am afraid to ask this because I don't want to start a roaring
fire of flames but...

I have been using both a Mac and a DOS machine for about 5 years.  I have
recently been trying to help some friends with their 386 machine
running Windows 3/ W4W and XL4W (facelift is installed and enabled).
The 386 is 16MHz with 2Mb.  The printer is an Okidata 24 pin.

My impression of Windows are:

1. It has tryed to impose a GUI environment where it does not quite fit.
   As a result computer novices take longer to learn how to use a Windows
   machine than a Mac.  However once acquainted with Windows both environments
   provide similar capabilites.

2. Adding applications and peripherals is easier (for a novice) on the Mac.

3. It seems to take more Intel machine to get the same response as a Mac.

Are these consistent with others?

I would appreciate it if comments could be limited to those with working
knowledge of both Windows and Mac.  I am especially interested in
comments from people who have seen reactions to both systems from
complete computer illiterate types learning to use a computer for the
first time.

Thanks,
harry levinson
hal@world.std.com

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.135518.5538@world.std.com> hal@world.std.com (Harry A Levinson) writes:
>My impression of Windows are:
>1. It has tryed to impose a GUI environment where it does not quite fit.

Could you clarify what you meant by that? I ask because it has a lot
of bearing on your next sentence.

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

jim@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim (James) Ruehlin) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.135518.5538@world.std.com> hal@world.std.com (Harry A Levinson) writes:
>My impression of Windows are:
>
>1. It has tryed to impose a GUI environment where it does not quite fit.
>   As a result computer novices take longer to learn how to use a Windows
>   machine than a Mac.  However once acquainted with Windows both environments
>   provide similar capabilites.

I've extensively used and programmed on both machines.  I'm currently
working on an application for Windows 3.0.
I mostly agree with this statement, but I think the Mac is a bit smoother
and easier to use, even for advanced users.  However, Win 3.0 is a little
more customizable.  I think both of these are minor differences.

>2. Adding applications and peripherals is easier (for a novice) on the Mac.

No question about it.  Easier for the pro too, if you ask me!

>3. It seems to take more Intel machine to get the same response as a Mac.

I agree, but I think part of the reason for this is the Mac mouse is
controlled by hardware, while the poor intel chip has to handle everything.
It's just a matter of one machine being built for the mouse and the
other isn't.

- Jim Ruehlin

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.135518.5538@world.std.com>, hal@world.std.com (Harry A Levinson) writes:
>I am afraid to ask this because I don't want to start a roaring
>fire of flames but...
>My impression of Windows are:
>
>1. It has tryed to impose a GUI environment where it does not quite fit.
>   As a result computer novices take longer to learn how to use a Windows
>   machine than a Mac.  However once acquainted with Windows both environments
>   provide similar capabilites.

I agree that Windows doesn't quite fit.  After having used it on a
day-to-day basis for the past 6 months, I'm convinced that it's a
shell, not an OS.  Now, granted, it's one hell of a shell, adding
numerous new capabilities to the operating system, especially in the
area of graphics.  But it is still layered on top of DOS, and all its
limitations.  (memory, device handling, file names, ad nauseum)

>2. Adding applications and peripherals is easier (for a novice) on the Mac.

Adding an application still requires an often-lengthy "install"
process (although more Mac applications need to be "installed" these
days), and files such as CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, WINDOWS.INI, and
the like often need to be modifies and tweaked by hand.  Then you
still have to install the icon in a Windows group.  (One of my biggest
complaints - the Program Manager has -no- relation to disk structure
or even to real files.  It's just a bunch of pointers.)

>3. It seems to take more Intel machine to get the same response as a Mac.

I've got an IBM PS/2 model 30 on my desk (10 Mhz 286, 16 color VGA, 2
MB RAM, 20 MB HD), and it runs Windows programs significantly slower than
a Mac Plus (8 Mhz 68000, 9" b/w screen, 1 MB RAM, 20 MB HD) runs
comparable programs.  (Windows Write - MacWrite II, Terminal - Red
Ryder, Windows Paint - Canvas).  And here I thought that the '286
machines were supposed to be similar in response to '020s.  (Gross
oversimplification).

In the end, IMHO, Windows doesn't compare to System 6.0x.  System 7.0
will make the comparison even worse.  However, Windows 3.0 is the best
thing going for MS-DOS machines at the time being.

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.183738.15661@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
>I agree that Windows doesn't quite fit.  After having used it on a
>day-to-day basis for the past 6 months, I'm convinced that it's a
>shell, not an OS.  Now, granted, it's one hell of a shell, adding
>numerous new capabilities to the operating system, especially in the
>area of graphics.  But it is still layered on top of DOS, and all its
>limitations.  (memory, device handling, file names, ad nauseum)

The only thing DOS is used for (and thus imposes limits on) is the file system.
Windows takes over memory management and device handling.  Okay, this is
a bit of a simplification, but the exceptions are few...

>>2. Adding applications and peripherals is easier (for a novice) on the Mac.
>
>Adding an application still requires an often-lengthy "install"
>process (although more Mac applications need to be "installed" these
>days), and files such as CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, WINDOWS.INI, and
>the like often need to be modifies and tweaked by hand.  Then you
>still have to install the icon in a Windows group.

Funny.  Most programs I install do it automatically.

As for ease of use installing peripherals, is it easier to get a <name your
favorite non-Apple printer> working on a Mac or with Windows, in general?

>>3. It seems to take more Intel machine to get the same response as a Mac.
>
>I've got an IBM PS/2 model 30 on my desk (10 Mhz 286, 16 color VGA, 2
>MB RAM, 20 MB HD), and it runs Windows programs significantly slower than
>a Mac Plus (8 Mhz 68000, 9" b/w screen, 1 MB RAM, 20 MB HD) runs
>comparable programs.  (Windows Write - MacWrite II, Terminal - Red
>Ryder, Windows Paint - Canvas).  And here I thought that the '286
>machines were supposed to be similar in response to '020s.  (Gross
>oversimplification).

Note that you have VGA (4 bits/pixel) and the Mac is monochrome (1 bit/
pixel).  Thus, in terms of raw graphics speed, you'd expect the PS/2 to be
1/4th the speed in screen-intensive stuff.  Better comparison: a 10 MHz
286 with a Herc and a Classic.  I think you'll find it to be much closer--
My 12 MHz machine is easily as fast as a classic (and probably faster,
subjectively).  Even then, the Herc shuffles around 50% more pixels than the
tiny Classic screen.  Comparing Apples and non-Apples is never easy :-)

>In the end, IMHO, Windows doesn't compare to System 6.0x.  System 7.0
>will make the comparison even worse.  However, Windows 3.0 is the best
>thing going for MS-DOS machines at the time being.

The one problem I have with this kind of thread and the OS/2 vs. Windows
one is that people tend to buy and use applications, not operating systems.
OS/2 is much better than Windows, but Windows apps are in general better (or
at least more plentiful) than OS/2 apps.  There are some good Mac apps, but
for what I do the Windows apps are better.  For me, that is the final line...
That and price, that is!

Aaron Wallace

lester@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jim Lester) (05/11/91)

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:

>In article <1991May10.183738.15661@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
>>I agree that Windows doesn't quite fit.  After having used it on a
>>day-to-day basis for the past 6 months, I'm convinced that it's a
>>shell, not an OS.  Now, granted, it's one hell of a shell, adding
>>numerous new capabilities to the operating system, especially in the
>>area of graphics.  But it is still layered on top of DOS, and all its
>>limitations.  (memory, device handling, file names, ad nauseum)

>The only thing DOS is used for (and thus imposes limits on) is the file system.
>Windows takes over memory management and device handling.  Okay, this is
>a bit of a simplification, but the exceptions are few...

I'll buy that, however the file system is a BIG part of any computer

>>>2. Adding applications and peripherals is easier (for a novice) on the Mac.
>>
>>Adding an application still requires an often-lengthy "install"
>>process (although more Mac applications need to be "installed" these
>>days), and files such as CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, WINDOWS.INI, and
>>the like often need to be modifies and tweaked by hand.  Then you
>>still have to install the icon in a Windows group.

>Funny.  Most programs I install do it automatically.
I have just finished installing both W4W and Word, PageMaker for Windows and
PageMaker on the Mac etc... and Mac is easier hands down...

>As for ease of use installing peripherals, is it easier to get a <name your
>favorite non-Apple printer> working on a Mac or with Windows, in general?

I have done a number of non-apple printers which are plug and play...
My mother can do it (and has)

>>>3. It seems to take more Intel machine to get the same response as a Mac.
>>
>>I've got an IBM PS/2 model 30 on my desk (10 Mhz 286, 16 color VGA, 2
>>MB RAM, 20 MB HD), and it runs Windows programs significantly slower than
>>a Mac Plus (8 Mhz 68000, 9" b/w screen, 1 MB RAM, 20 MB HD) runs
>>comparable programs.  (Windows Write - MacWrite II, Terminal - Red
>>Ryder, Windows Paint - Canvas).  And here I thought that the '286
>>machines were supposed to be similar in response to '020s.  (Gross
>>oversimplification).

>Note that you have VGA (4 bits/pixel) and the Mac is monochrome (1 bit/
>pixel).  Thus, in terms of raw graphics speed, you'd expect the PS/2 to be
>1/4th the speed in screen-intensive stuff.  Better comparison: a 10 MHz
>286 with a Herc and a Classic.  I think you'll find it to be much closer--
>My 12 MHz machine is easily as fast as a classic (and probably faster,
>subjectively).  Even then, the Herc shuffles around 50% more pixels than the
>tiny Classic screen.  Comparing Apples and non-Apples is never easy :-)

Sure compare same IBM PS/2 to Mac II and the Mac II will come out favorably

>>In the end, IMHO, Windows doesn't compare to System 6.0x.  System 7.0
>>will make the comparison even worse.  However, Windows 3.0 is the best
>>thing going for MS-DOS machines at the time being.

>The one problem I have with this kind of thread and the OS/2 vs. Windows
>one is that people tend to buy and use applications, not operating systems.
>OS/2 is much better than Windows, but Windows apps are in general better (or
>at least more plentiful) than OS/2 apps.  There are some good Mac apps, but
>for what I do the Windows apps are better.  For me, that is the final line...

I will agree that it is more a matter of personal preference

>That and price, that is!
as an amusing aside I was Window Shopping yesterday :-)
Microsoft Office  PcConnection Price  $629 (ie windows version)
                  MacConnection Price $525 (ie Mac version)
>Aaron Wallace
Jim Lester
  Guy who does neat MAC stuff who is now living in a Windows World
  Finicial Management Support
   Indiana University
Disclaimer: IU didn't put this foot in my mouth
               (It barely puts food in my mouth :-) )

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.183738.15661@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
>I agree that Windows doesn't quite fit.  After having used it on a
>day-to-day basis for the past 6 months, I'm convinced that it's a
>shell, not an OS.

Sorry, but I can't help be a little sarcastic when I say ... give Mr Gaynor
a prize ... he has (finally) realized windows IS NOT AN OS !!! ...

I wish uSoft had done the job right & made it an OS (starting to sound like
os2 ?!?) ... but for the moment we will have to love with what (little) we have.

>                   But it is still layered on top of DOS, and all its
>limitations.  (memory, device handling, file names, ad nauseum)

But it tries to do the best it can.  It has (amongst other things)
"legitimalized" 386 extenders ... of course they had to do it differently than
the already accepted ways) ...

>I've got an IBM PS/2 model 30 on my desk (10 Mhz 286, 16 color VGA, 2
>MB RAM, 20 MB HD), and it runs Windows programs significantly slower than
>a Mac Plus (8 Mhz 68000, 9" b/w screen, 1 MB RAM, 20 MB HD) runs
>comparable programs.

Far be it for me to say windows is not slow (the people at uSoft tech support
were themselves surprised at how slowly my 20MHz DX w/2MB, 135MB disk system,
running ATM with >150 fonts) would go through the basic steps of working
with printers on the control panel.  I would like however to point out that
the Mac 9" b/w screen requires less video manipulations to redraw the entire
screen (512*384*1=196,608 bits=24,576 bytes) than the 16 color vga
(640*480*4=1,228,880 bits=153,600 bytes) ... 6.25 times as much to be exact
... at least compare apples with apples :-) ( I din't really say that, did I?!)

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn L. Austin) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.135518.5538@world.std.com>, hal@world.std.com (Harry A Levinson) writes:
> I am afraid to ask this because I don't want to start a roaring
> fire of flames but...
>
> I have been using both a Mac and a DOS machine for about 5 years.  I have
> recently been trying to help some friends with their 386 machine
> running Windows 3/ W4W and XL4W (facelift is installed and enabled).
> The 386 is 16MHz with 2Mb.  The printer is an Okidata 24 pin.
>
> My impression of Windows are:
>
> 1. It has tryed to impose a GUI environment where it does not quite fit.
>    As a result computer novices take longer to learn how to use a Windows
>    machine than a Mac.  However once acquainted with Windows both environments
>    provide similar capabilites.

That was my impression as well.  I believe Windows ends up requiring a higher level
of user as well, due to the many non-standard peripherals available for DOS machines.
This makes it much more difficult to change the operating system, both for the users
and the developers.

> 2. Adding applications and peripherals is easier (for a novice) on the Mac.

See comment above about peripherals.

> 3. It seems to take more Intel machine to get the same response as a Mac.

That is consistent with my evaluation as well.  A few years ago (when the 386 was
just announced), I put an 8088, an 80286 and an 80386 all running DOS on a logic analyzer.
My results were surprising -- all three processors when executing code were doing
byte fetches, in spite of the fact that the 286 and 386 had 32-bit buses.  After doing
some comparitive evaluations of the designs of the 680x0 and the x86, I came to the
following conclusions:

1) Average instruction length for the Intel processors is approximately 5 bytes (using
general-purpose code), and is fetched on a byte-by-byte basis.  The fetch cycle is
due to the limitations of the 86 architecture.  By keeping relatively compatible with
the 8080, additional instructions for newer processors must use a flag byte to denote
an instruction for a newer processor.  For example, all new 386 instructions start
with $0F with no indication as to the actual instruction without reading this first
byte.

2) Average instruction length for the Motorola processors is approximately 3.5 bytes
(using general-purpose code), and is fetched on a long-word basis, if long-word aligned.
By using long-word fetches, approximately 80% of the more common instructions are
loaded with one memory access.  This explains why fewer wait states on the Mac have
a smaller affect than on the PC.

3) The Intel processors are designed more for use with higher-level languages.  They
provide easier string processing at the expense of more specialized registers and
more complex setup.  The Motorola processors are designed more for use with C and
Assembly, and provide more register flexibility at the expense of specialized functions.

4) Windows is added to DOS, and is reliant upon DOS and BIOS for all of the peripheral
access, except video and specialized drivers.  The Mac O/S was designed in from the
beginning, so there are no "levels" of OS to contend with.

> Are these consistent with others?
>
> I would appreciate it if comments could be limited to those with working
> knowledge of both Windows and Mac.  I am especially interested in
> comments from people who have seen reactions to both systems from
> complete computer illiterate types learning to use a computer for the
> first time.

Just for the record, I've been programming for 15 years, including 13 on mainframes
and minis, 9 on the PC, and 6 on the Macintosh.  I've worked extensively with MS/DOS,
UNIX and the Macintosh, and I've found that not only is the machine faster, but the
time for developing products is significantly less, if the same care is given to the
user interface to make the program easy to use.  The Mac is my machine of choice for
both use and development, if the comparison is limited to microcomputers.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:     G.AUSTIN3                | AOnline:   GAustin                    |

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May10.203309.22163@leland.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:
>In article <1991May10.183738.15661@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
>>I agree that Windows doesn't quite fit.  After having used it on a
>>day-to-day basis for the past 6 months, I'm convinced that it's a
>>shell, not an OS.  Now, granted, it's one hell of a shell, adding
>>numerous new capabilities to the operating system, especially in the
>>area of graphics.  But it is still layered on top of DOS, and all its
>>limitations.  (memory, device handling, file names, ad nauseum)

>The only thing DOS is used for (and thus imposes limits on) is the file system.
>Windows takes over memory management and device handling.  Okay, this is
>a bit of a simplification, but the exceptions are few...

Then please explain why I can't use the CASE tool I need to (a piece of junk
called excelerator) AND then network software I need to print with at the same
time on the 286 clone I have to use at work, even WITH windows.  On a 4 meg
machine.  I'll tell you why; 640K limit.  Yes, even windows still must deal
with this.  And it sure is damn slow switching from a dos application to the
program manager...The only thing I could do is put excelerator in one dos
shell, and the network in another.  But if I try to quit the network shell,
windows dies because the network goofs up some memory stuff that windows needs
in dos, but doesn't bother to save before starting the shell, and restore after
exiting it.  And why does windows drop me into it's directory when I invoke a
dos shell instead of the directory I started window in?  Sheesh, like I'm going
to run dos applications from the windows directory...

>>Adding an application still requires an often-lengthy "install"
>>process (although more Mac applications need to be "installed" these
>>days), and files such as CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT, WINDOWS.INI, and
>>the like often need to be modifies and tweaked by hand.  Then you
>>still have to install the icon in a Windows group.

>Funny.  Most programs I install do it automatically.

Really?  Hmm...perhaps I installed the disk cache I use incorrectly.  Or the
video driver, or the other stuff I use...but then the manuals told me to
modify the autoexec.bat or config.sys; not an installer.  And hell, when I
let the windows installer modify the path setting, it created a path that was
too long for dos to handle.  And didn't even check...I had to go in and
manually fix it; I'd have been is some serious shit if I had been a novice.

>As for ease of use installing peripherals, is it easier to get a <name your
>favorite non-Apple printer> working on a Mac or with Windows, in general?

Easier on the mac.  Lets see...do I have the printer attached to com 1, lpt 1,
etc.  Hmm...I'm not sure; I didn't install the printer...

As opposed to putting the printer driver in the system folder and selecting it
from the chooser.

Hell, the top 3 megs on that 286 (out of 4) were sitting by USELESS until
I added a 3 meg disk cache.  Now, at least, I'm getting a little performance
out of it (ond before anybody flames the size of my disk cache, you try
searching an 8 meg database without it...)

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

"Mad scientists HATE shopping for shoes!" -- Peaches

carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May10.135518.5538@world.std.com> hal@world.std.com (Harry A Levinson) writes:
>I am afraid to ask this because I don't want to start a roaring
>fire of flames but...
>
>I have been using both a Mac and a DOS machine for about 5 years.  I have
>recently been trying to help some friends with their 386 machine
>running Windows 3/ W4W and XL4W (facelift is installed and enabled).
>The 386 is 16MHz with 2Mb.  The printer is an Okidata 24 pin.
>
>My impression of Windows are:
>
>1. It has tryed to impose a GUI environment where it does not quite fit.
>   As a result computer novices take longer to learn how to use a Windows
>   machine than a Mac.  However once acquainted with Windows both environments
>   provide similar capabilites.
>
>2. Adding applications and peripherals is easier (for a novice) on the Mac.
>
>3. It seems to take more Intel machine to get the same response as a Mac.
>
>Are these consistent with others?
>
>I would appreciate it if comments could be limited to those with working
>knowledge of both Windows and Mac.  I am especially interested in
>comments from people who have seen reactions to both systems from
>complete computer illiterate types learning to use a computer for the
>first time.
>
>Thanks,
>harry levinson
>hal@world.std.com

Your impression that it takes more Intel machine is correct, intel CPU's
are brain damaged.

--Gregory

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (05/12/91)

From article <1991May11.235337.8359@daffy.cs.wisc.edu>, by carter@cat23.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter):

[lots of stuff deleted]

> Your impression that it takes more Intel machine is correct, intel CPU's
> are brain damaged.
>
> --Gregory

Well..., Actually DOS is the Brain-Dead part.  The Intel processors are
actually pretty good.  Particurlarly the 386 and above.  I suggest that
the OS over the chips is usually the problem.  BTW, I wonder what makes
you think Intel's toys are Brain-Dead?  BTW, the MAC operating system
is just as Brain-Dead as DOS.  I won't go into detail here, possibly
by e-mail if you wish to rebut.  IMHO there are two GREAT OS's available
at this time:  MACH and OS/2.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

In article <1991May12.023111.25863@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:

>at this time:  MACH and OS/2.
                         ^^^^
Uh huh.  Yes, Mr. Napolean.  Now just put your arms through this coat here..
No, it's not backwards, it is supposed to be that way... Elba?  No, this isn't
Elba...
:-)

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (05/13/91)

From article <1991May12.211518.24682@eng.umd.edu>, by russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto):
> In article <1991May12.023111.25863@ccad.uiowa.edu> cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) writes:
>
>>at this time:  MACH and OS/2.
>                          ^^^^
> Uh huh.  Yes, Mr. Napolean.  Now just put your arms through this coat here..
> No, it's not backwards, it is supposed to be that way... Elba?  No, this isn't
> Elba...

This may sound nasty, it isn't meant to be, but... How long have you
used either MACH and/or OS/2 (2.0 Beta that is).  BTW, not a bad comeback.
.9 points.

ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Alexander Edwin Jauch) (05/17/91)

In <1991May10.183611.3392@donner.SanDiego.NCR.COM> jim@tortuga.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim (James) Ruehlin) writes:

>>3. It seems to take more Intel machine to get the same response as a Mac.

>I agree, but I think part of the reason for this is the Mac mouse is
>controlled by hardware, while the poor intel chip has to handle everything.
>It's just a matter of one machine being built for the mouse and the
>other isn't.

Well Jim, I don't agree with this one.  I have used windows without a mouse
(horrors!) and it is still much slower redrawing windows and such than a Mac.
I would blame the speed differential in that Macs have much of there system
calls in ROMs and they are specifically tailored to run a GUI.  Windows is
grafted onto a DOS machine and has two layers of crap to get through.  I would
say that considering it's inherent disadvantage it is quite speedy.

--
Alex Jauch
*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu       |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole*

dsals@vms.macc.wisc.edu (David Sals) (05/17/91)

I worked at ComputerLand for a while, and was asked to compare
window and the mac quite often.  The main differences I have seen
with regard to new users are as follows:

1)  Windows runs slower on a comparatively powerful machine (of
	course, you can't really compare mac and ibm power, but the
	windows environment is a software "emulation" shell, whereas
    the mac environment is built into the hardware.  Of course it
	is going to run faster on the mac.

2)  Windows is a little more awkward, a little less intuitive.
	When Microsoft wrote windows, they had to make it look and
	function significantly differently from the mac system so that
	they wouldn't get sued (they got sued anyway).  While the
	differences are just fine for most DOS users, people who
	haven't used computers before usually seemed much more confused
	with windows.  They would try to do things the way they did
	them on the macintosh, and it just doesn't work.  Note: even
    though you are using a graphical interface, you are still
	using the DOS filing system.  Whenever you want to add a new
	program to your windows library, you have to locate it in the
	normal DOS mode of access.

3)  This is the most important difference, in my oppinion.  When
	programs are written for the macintosh, they are all (with a
	very few exceptions) written to use the same menu structure,
	the same mouse functions, often even the same commands (cut,
    copy, paste, print, all show up in the same place in most
	programs).  What this means to a new user, is that, once they
	learn how to use ONE program on the mac, it is very easy to
	transfer that knowledge to other software.  The learning curve
	goes way up.

	Now let's talk about windows.  Many programs that the user
	might want to use, aren't even available for windows.  Yes,
	you might be able to start Wordperfect from windows, but you
	won't be able to take advantage of the cut/paste or linking
	features which make windows worth having.  More importantly,
	since there has been no standard set for DOS programs, the
	interfaces are all over the place.  Every time a user wants
	to learn a new program, they are going to have to start from
	scratch (at least as far as memorizing the commands, if not
	learning the functions of the program).  The learning curve
	is much lower.

What this all comes down to, is that windows is a poor substitute
for a macintosh.  I have nothing against DOS systems, and in fact
use one often, but I almost never use windows.  It's not a lot
more than a toy to me.  I would rather use batch commands to start
my programs.

If you want to take advantage of specific DOS software, get a DOS
system, and if you like, get windows too.  If you want to get a
graphically based, intuitive machine, get a macintosh.  Windows is
a poor substitute at best.

						:-D ave

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.170732.13608@macc.wisc.edu> dsals@vms.macc.wisc.edu (David Sals) writes:
>What this all comes down to, is that windows is a poor substitute
>for a macintosh.

Windows is a poor substitute for a Macintosh in just the same sense that
a haircut is a poor substitute for new shoes.  You're not comparing
equivalent things.

If a customer is faced with the choice of buying Windows or a Mac, he or
she should ALWAYS buy Windows.  Why?  Because it's much less expensive
than a Mac!  If you're ready to buy Windows, this implies you ALREADY
have a PC.  Think about it.

Now if you have NEITHER a PC nor a Mac, then the question is: should you
buy a PC *and* Windows, or a Mac.  Very different question.

The *correct* approach is to start with what the customer actually wants
to *DO* with their computer!  Whoa, scary concept there huh?  Jeez,
what'll they think of next.  If you can characterize the APPLICATION or
applications the customer has in mind, you can select SOFTWARE that does
what he or she wants; and in turn sell them HARDWARE to support it.

This approach has actually been known to yield the unheard-of beast
known as a "satisfied customer."  Clearly a dangerous trend. :-)

On the other hand, if the customer just wants a computer for some
nebulous undefined bull**** reason, just to HAVE one or because they've
been reading computer rags on the Trump shuttle and sort of think they
must need one somehow, then sell them the most expensive computer in
the shop, because they are stupid -- so you win all their money.

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.170732.13608@macc.wisc.edu> dsals@vms.macc.wisc.edu (David Sals) writes:
>1)  Windows runs slower on a comparatively powerful machine (of
>	course, you can't really compare mac and ibm power, but the
>	windows environment is a software "emulation" shell, whereas
>    the mac environment is built into the hardware.  Of course it
>	is going to run faster on the mac.

A number of people have talked about how the fact that much of the
MacToolbox is in ROM makes it faster than Windows, where the code for
all the graphics resides in RAM. Does this really make a difference? I
have the following reasons for believing this doesn't make a
difference:

1.	Many PC clones allow for shadow ram, which copies the ROM
	routines to RAM, which substantially speeds the machines up.

2.	The System distributed for the Mac contains patches to fix
	bugs in the ROM, so some Toolbox routines execute in RAM

3.	There are a couple of applications that exist in both Windows
	as well as PM versions (e.g. Word for PM and Word for
	Windows), and the PM versions are faster (InfoWorld reported
	on this a while back. This is done by running the two versions
	of the program on the same machine, so they are using the same
	ROM (to whatever extent the ROM is used at all...)

So, my question is: if the Mac is faster than a "comparable" pc in
execution, what is the reason? Is it ROM? (I don't think so for the
reasons listed above.) What other things can make a difference?

cheers,

kartik

--

mariusk@Lise.Unit.NO (Marius Kjeldahl) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May18.050842.5732@cs.uoregon.edu>, akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
|> In article <1991May17.170732.13608@macc.wisc.edu> dsals@vms.macc.wisc.edu (David Sals) writes:
|> >1)  Windows runs slower on a comparatively powerful machine (of
|> >	course, you can't really compare mac and ibm power, but the
|> >	windows environment is a software "emulation" shell, whereas
|> >    the mac environment is built into the hardware.  Of course it
|> >	is going to run faster on the mac.
|>
|> A number of people have talked about how the fact that much of the
|> MacToolbox is in ROM makes it faster than Windows, where the code for
|> all the graphics resides in RAM. Does this really make a difference? I
|> have the following reasons for believing this doesn't make a
|> difference:
|>
|> 1.	Many PC clones allow for shadow ram, which copies the ROM
|> 	routines to RAM, which substantially speeds the machines up.
|>
|> 2.	The System distributed for the Mac contains patches to fix
|> 	bugs in the ROM, so some Toolbox routines execute in RAM
|>
|> 3.	There are a couple of applications that exist in both Windows
|> 	as well as PM versions (e.g. Word for PM and Word for
|> 	Windows), and the PM versions are faster (InfoWorld reported
|> 	on this a while back. This is done by running the two versions
|> 	of the program on the same machine, so they are using the same
|> 	ROM (to whatever extent the ROM is used at all...)
|>
|> So, my question is: if the Mac is faster than a "comparable" pc in
|> execution, what is the reason? Is it ROM? (I don't think so for the
|> reasons listed above.) What other things can make a difference?
|>
|> cheers,
|>
|> kartik
|>
|> --
|> Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
|> Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)
|> Department of Computer Science,                         (503)346-3989 (direct)
|> University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1202

1. Usually RAM is faster than ROM, thats why they incorporate things like
shadowram and so on.

2. That is one of the drawbacks with the operatingsystem in ROM - you'll usually
need hardware to perform the upgrade. This kind of solution you are mentioning
does not sound healthy.

3. This is difficult to measure..

Generally: Applications across hardware platform usually contains small, but
quite a lot of different features so it is not always rights to test against
time only. Anyway the actual speed of an application varies with what kind of
hardware it is being run on. The critical points are the usual microprosessor
type (speed, fpu's and so on), speed of RAM (and ROM if used), speed of
harddisk and so on. But often _more_ important is the way that the application
has been written! Well, I want try to judge what is more fair to judge by, but
just wanted to say there are many ways to perform speed tests. Usually this
speed is not so critical (often in terms of seconds), but ofcourse there are
applications where speed is the only essential factor.. Well, probably did not
make you a lot wiser, just keep these things in mind...

wchang@qin.Berkeley.EDU (William Chang) (05/19/91)

I believe the Mac ROM exists in order to make the Mac legally unclonable,
by copyright.

The original Lisa was more powerful, but the Mac came out with 64K ROM,
128K RAM, and 400K floppies, and ran essentially the same interface
we are now using.  Obviously a great deal of genius and hard work went
into it.  (X windows is how many megs? How fast is it on 50 Mhz workstations?)

The more compact the code, the faster it is (usually!).  Think of the Mac
ROM as a collection of device drivers--the hardest software to write--
with the GUI as one big device.

Nobody else has done as well, for better or for worse.

				    William Chang (wchang@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu)

plim@hpsgwp.sgp.hp.com (Peter Lim) (05/20/91)

/ akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) /  1:08 pm  May 18, 1991 /
writes:

$ So, my question is: if the Mac is faster than a "comparable" pc in
$ execution, what is the reason? Is it ROM? (I don't think so for the
$ reasons listed above.) What other things can make a difference?
$
Is it really so ?  First off, it is hard to determine what is a "comparable"
pc to a mac. Secondly, I tend to find that Windows has a greater minimum
requirement for things to start rolling. From my experience, for "properly"
configured system vs. "in-properly" configured system, a proper 25 MHz
non-cached 386 can run (say PowerPoint) up to 5 times faster that a 33 Mhz
cached 386.  This was clocked with printing to a PaintJet printer.

If you have been trying to get Windows to fly with 2 MB RAM, then you WILL
be disappointed even with a 33 Mhz 386. I would say, a minimum of 4 MB RAM
is preferred; with proper disk cache configuration --- then, Windows will
run very nicely.

It is not fair for me to say how it compares with the Mac (heck, I only
have a lowly Mac/SE original with 4 MB RAM). But, like I said above,
Windows need a lot more before it starts to fly. So, I would tend to say
it is not fair comparison for a mac and pc both equiped with 2 MB RAM.

Regards,     ___o``\________________________________________________ ___ __ _ _
Peter Lim.   V````\  @ @ . .. ... .- -> 76 MIPS at under US$20K !!   --- -- - -
                  /.------------------------------------------------ === == = =
             >--_//      . .. ... .- -> 57 MIPS at under US$12K !!
                `'       . If you guessed SUN, IBM or DEC, you are wrong !

E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,
                                             Singapore   0410.

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May18.050842.5732@cs.uoregon.edu>, akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
> So, my question is: if the Mac is faster than a "comparable" pc in
> execution, what is the reason? Is it ROM? (I don't think so for the
> reasons listed above.) What other things can make a difference?

Two things -- processor effeciency and levels of routines.

1) Windows sits on top of (and beside) DOS.  This is the reason that PM
is faster -- its part of the OS.
2) The Motorola (and for that matter, any linear-addressing processor) is
faster than segmented memory.
3) The average instruction length of normal instructions on the 80x86 processors
is 5 bytes, read a byte at a time (usually -- hook up a logic analyzer and
see for yourself!), where the 680x0 average instruction length is 3-4 bytes,
read a long-word at a time (at worst case, a word at a time).  Less than
half the accesses to memory (RAM OR ROM) is faster.  This is also why zero-wait
state 80x86s show better speed increases than their 680x0 counterparts.

> Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
> Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)
> Department of Computer Science,                         (503)346-3989 (direct)
> University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1202

How about that -- someone else from Eugune! :-)

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) (06/04/91)

In article <0E010021.e0mxxc@gla-aux.uucp> glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu writes:

>In article <1991May18.050842.5732@cs.uoregon.edu>, akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>> So, my question is: if the Mac is faster than a "comparable" pc in
>> execution, what is the reason? Is it ROM? (I don't think so for the
>> reasons listed above.) What other things can make a difference?
>
>Two things -- processor effeciency and levels of routines.

[ rest of post deleted ]

>2) The Motorola (and for that matter, any linear-addressing processor) is
>faster than segmented memory.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in small (or tiny) memory model apps,
the 80x86 is essentially a linear-addressing processor.  I would tend
to think it would be faster shuffling 16-bit addresses (since the
segment registers do not change) than a Motorola with (is it?) 32-bit
addresses.

Of course, this is straying from discussion of Win3....

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (06/05/91)

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) writes:

>In article <0E010021.e0mxxc@gla-aux.uucp> glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu writes:
>>
>>In article <1991May18.050842.5732@cs.uoregon.edu>, akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>>> So, my question is: if the Mac is faster than a "comparable" pc in
>>> execution, what is the reason? Is it ROM? (I don't think so for the
>>> reasons listed above.) What other things can make a difference?
>>
>>Two things -- processor effeciency and levels of routines.

>[ rest of post deleted ]

>>2) The Motorola (and for that matter, any linear-addressing processor) is
>>faster than segmented memory.

>Correct me if I am wrong, but in small (or tiny) memory model apps,
>the 80x86 is essentially a linear-addressing processor.  I would tend
>to think it would be faster shuffling 16-bit addresses (since the
>segment registers do not change) than a Motorola with (is it?) 32-bit
>addresses.

Not really. apps for the 680x0 chips can use a 'short' addressing,
which is 32K either side of 00000000 (ie bottom & top 32K of address
space). which is really fast.

>Of course, this is straying from discussion of Win3....

Yeah, I think the mac groups need a '.advocacy', like the amiga groups,
for all sorts of mac vs {ibm|amiga|next|unix|other gui}.

>Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

| Luke Mewburn [Zak]                | #disclaimer: I _own_ these opinions, |
| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au      |      No-one else deserves them  :-)  |

dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) (06/05/91)

Responding to the following:

"Correct me if I am wrong, but in small (or tiny) memory model apps,
the 80x86 is essentially a linear-addressing processor.  I would tend
to think it would be faster shuffling 16-bit addresses (since the
segment registers do not change) than a Motorola with (is it?) 32-bit
addresses."

Well, not really. I'm assuming that even though the segment "window" doesn't
have to be moved, the accessing routine is still slower. The window doesn't
change, but it's still there. In order to request a memory address, a segmented
chip must do an extra multiply (at least) every time. That is, it multiplies
the address location within any segment by the segment being used, so it doesn't act as linear-addressing at all. The 386+ DOES have a fairly good linear
memory mode, but this isn't used by any OS's except for Unix. Also, there are
many other factors in 680x0 vs 80x86. Intel's line doesn't even come close
in most cases to MC's chip line. Also, because the 80x86 began as 16-bit chips
internally, many kludges had to be performed in order to maintain compatibility
across the line, and thus the 680x0 line is also accelerating past the 80x86
at a faster clip because it isn't being held back by mode up mode implimentation. Sorry is this letter isn't spaced properly.

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.154854.19649@dbase.A-T.COM>, tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) writes:
> In article <0E010021.e0mxxc@gla-aux.uucp> glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu writes:
> >
> >In article <1991May18.050842.5732@cs.uoregon.edu>, akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
> >> So, my question is: if the Mac is faster than a "comparable" pc in
> >> execution, what is the reason? Is it ROM? (I don't think so for the
> >> reasons listed above.) What other things can make a difference?
> >
> >Two things -- processor effeciency and levels of routines.
>
> [ rest of post deleted ]
>
> >2) The Motorola (and for that matter, any linear-addressing processor) is
> >faster than segmented memory.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but in small (or tiny) memory model apps,
> the 80x86 is essentially a linear-addressing processor.  I would tend
> to think it would be faster shuffling 16-bit addresses (since the
> segment registers do not change) than a Motorola with (is it?) 32-bit
> addresses.

It would be -- if they dealt with 16-bit (or wider) fetches, but because
of the roots of the 80x86 in the 8080, and the fact that extensions beyond
the 8086 generally have a single prefix byte (which must be fetched before
it can determine that it IS an extension to the 8086 instruction set), the
80x86 tend to be inefficient in memory accesses.  This is (once again) why
zero-wait-state RAM has more benefits on the 80x86 than it does on the Motorola
680x0 processors (which do long word and word fetches).

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Don't take me too seriously -- I never do!  :-)                             |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |

risto@tuura.UUCP (Risto Lankinen) (06/06/91)

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) writes:

>In article <0E010021.e0mxxc@gla-aux.uucp> glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu writes:
>>
>>In article <1991May18.050842.5732@cs.uoregon.edu>, akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:

>[ rest of post deleted ]

>>2) The Motorola (and for that matter, any linear-addressing processor) is
>>faster than segmented memory.

>Correct me if I am wrong, but in small (or tiny) memory model apps,
>the 80x86 is essentially a linear-addressing processor.  I would tend
>to think it would be faster shuffling 16-bit addresses (since the
>segment registers do not change) than a Motorola with (is it?) 32-bit
>addresses.

>Of course, this is straying from discussion of Win3....

Hi!

To stray back, a small model program for Windows doesn't necessarily gain
as much as it would in DOS, where the library calls and indirect references
to data really are near/short.  In Windows, all calls to external modules
will inavoidably be far, most of which also require pointers to be long.

The (static) library calls still are near, but there is an option of not
using them at all, in which case you'll get 99% identical executables in
both small and medium model for many source codes.

(This is *not* to say, that programs made for Windows are inefficient in
one way or other, nor am I doing any comparison between Windows and Mac!)

Terveisin: Risto Lankinen
--
Risto Lankinen / product specialist ***************************************
Nokia Data Systems, Technology Dept *  2                              3   *

mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) (06/06/91)

In article <20@ryptyde.UUCP> dant@ryptyde.UUCP (Daniel Tracy) writes:

>Well, not really. I'm assuming that even though the segment "window" doesn't
>have to be moved, the accessing routine is still slower. The window doesn't
>change, but it's still there. In order to request a memory address, a segmented
>chip must do an extra multiply (at least) every time. That is, it multiplies
>the address location within any segment by the segment being used, so it doesn't
>act as linear-addressing at all.

Er.  This explanation makes me worry about the rest of your logic.  It does
NOT do a multiply; it does an ADD.  The segment register multiplied by 16
is added to the offset register.  In 8086 mode this means the _equivalent_
of a four bit shift to the segment register.

>                                   The 386+ DOES have a fairly good linear
>memory mode, but this isn't used by any OS's except for Unix. Also, there are
>many other factors in 680x0 vs 80x86. Intel's line doesn't even come close
>in most cases to MC's chip line. Also, because the 80x86 began as 16-bit chips
>internally, many kludges had to be performed in order to maintain compatibility
>across the line, and thus the 680x0 line is also accelerating past the 80x86
>at a faster clip because it isn't being held back by mode up mode implimentation.

You can't be "better" and then "pass the competition".  Make up your mind.

--
Mike Lipsie
dosbears!mikel@pyramid.com

f85-bli@byse.nada.kth.se (Bengt Lidgard) (06/06/91)

I heard this funny rumour that Apple is planning
to release System 6 for Intel chips. To use on former DOS machines!

Is this total nonsense ?!!! Is it possible???!

Wondering,

Bengt

c60c-1jo@e260-1e.berkeley.edu (Payam Mirrashidi) (06/11/91)

Could any tell me what the actual number of MIPS and FLOPS the various
Motorola have.  I guess that the numbers for FLOPS are going to drastically
different if a floating point co-processor is included, so those numbers would
be great too.

Payam

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun4.154854.19649@dbase.A-T.COM> tomr@dbase.UUCP (Tom Rombouts) writes:
>In article <0E010021.e0mxxc@gla-aux.uucp> glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu writes:
>>
>>In article <1991May18.050842.5732@cs.uoregon.edu>, akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>>> So, my question is: if the Mac is faster than a "comparable" pc in
>>> execution, what is the reason? Is it ROM? (I don't think so for the
>>> reasons listed above.) What other things can make a difference?
>>
>>Two things -- processor effeciency and levels of routines.
>
>[ rest of post deleted ]
>
>>2) The Motorola (and for that matter, any linear-addressing processor) is
>>faster than segmented memory.

Excuse me but this is not the case.  If you have an OS like Unix, System 7
or any OS that provide virtual memory you are back to -(drum roll please)
a segmented OS.  Pages are just large segments.

But honestly it depends entirely on how efficient the architecture to
to begin with.  An efficiently designed segmented arch. can be faster than
a non-segmented one.  Also the entire system will design will effect
performance.

>Correct me if I am wrong, but in small (or tiny) memory model apps,
>the 80x86 is essentially a linear-addressing processor.  I would tend
>to think it would be faster shuffling 16-bit addresses (since the
>segment registers do not change) than a Motorola with (is it?) 32-bit
>addresses.
>
>Of course, this is straying from discussion of Win3....
>
>Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) (06/12/91)

In article <56nD02AQ08cd01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>>In article Something'er'other, someone wrote:
>>>2) The Motorola (and for that matter, any linear-addressing processor) is
>>>faster than segmented memory.
>
>Excuse me but this is not the case.  If you have an OS like Unix, System 7
>or any OS that provide virtual memory you are back to -(drum roll please)
>a segmented OS.  Pages are just large segments.

Paged != Segmented.  Pages are, by definition, fixed in size.  Segments are, by
definition, variable in size.  To have fixed page segments defeats the purpose
of the hardware support given to segmentation.  This aside, a paged system is
much more efficient than a segmented system.  This is because there is not
nearly the amount of overhead to keep track of on a paged System.  For example,
if one had a "demand segmenting" system vs a "demand paging" system (two
possible ways to implement VM given different hardware support), the complexity
of the OS would be vastly different.  In the demand segmenting system, not only
owuld the OS have to worry about swapping in a segment, but it would also have
to worry about "creating" the right amount of space tin order to fit the
segment in.  Most of the time, a perfect fit cannot be made so space is wasted
in memory and overall performance dips.  On a demand paging system, if a page
needs to be swapped in, it is just a matter of swapping out a page to create
the necessary space... much simpler and more efficient.

Also, (this is in reply to the quote of the quote of the...) not all Macintosh
Models are linearly addressed (this is especially true with the introduction of
VM in System 7).  On some models with the PMMU (the IIci comes to mind), memory
is not linear even *WITHOUT* virtual memory.  The PMMU makes it look that way
to software, but it really isn't the case...

>--
>/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
>/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */
>/*                                                           */
>/*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */

--Doug
--
Doug Bitting             | "And we know that in all things God works
PO Box 3043 Yale Station |  for the good of those who love him..."

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.055711.21457@cs.yale.edu> bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) writes:

>>Excuse me but this is not the case.  If you have an OS like Unix, System 7
>>or any OS that provide virtual memory you are back to -(drum roll please)
>>a segmented OS.  Pages are just large segments.
>
>Paged != Segmented.  Pages are, by definition, fixed in size.  Segments are, by
>definition, variable in size.  To have fixed page segments defeats the purpose
> [etc...]

>Also, (this is in reply to the quote of the quote of the...) not all Macintosh
>Models are linearly addressed (this is especially true with the introduction of
>VM in System 7).  On some models with the PMMU (the IIci comes to mind), memory
>is not linear even *WITHOUT* virtual memory.  The PMMU makes it look that way
>to software, but it really isn't the case...

I've never actually programmed a Mac (life does have it's small blessings!),
but I remember that my girlfriend once had do for a Pascal class.  I remember
her having to worry about arranging static data into segments and getting
segment too large errors.  I've read elsewhere that, lovely as the linear
address space is, Apple went through all kinds of hoops and backflips to
simulate a segmented memory system on the Mac.

Personally, I think segments are great.  64K segments, that's a different
matter...

Aaron Wallace

doner@Aero.org (John Doner) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.152813.20074@leland.Stanford.EDU>, aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:

|> I've never actually programmed a Mac (life does have it's small blessings!),
|> but I remember that my girlfriend once had do for a Pascal class.  I remember
|> her having to worry about arranging static data into segments and getting
|> segment too large errors.  I've read elsewhere that, lovely as the linear
|> address space is, Apple went through all kinds of hoops and backflips to
|> simulate a segmented memory system on the Mac.

What looks like a segmented memory system to some is mainly just a compiler
limitation.  They use 16-bit integers as array subscripts, so arrays get limited
to 2^16.  They always generate branches using the 16-bit offset instructions,
instead of the 32-bit ones, so CODE segments get limited to 32K.  None of this
is Apple's doing, or intrinsic to the hardware or the Mac OS.

One limitation that is in the OS is the jump table size of 32K.  This limits the
number of external (i.e., inter-CODE-resource) references accordingly.  Not much
of a problem, except with MacApp.  (Does System 7 fix this?)

Actually, it's hard to fault the compiler writers.  It seemed so reasonable at
the time.  But with today's cheap memory, it's a bad idea to build those limitations
into the compilers.

John Doner

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (06/13/91)

John Doner <doner@Aero.org> writes:
> aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) writes:
>|> I've never actually programmed a Mac [...]  I remember
>|> having to worry about arranging static data into segments and getting
>|> segment too large errors.  I've read elsewhere that, lovely as the linear
>|> address space is, Apple went through all kinds of hoops and backflips to
>|> simulate a segmented memory system on the Mac.

> What looks like a segmented memory system to some is mainly just a compiler
> limitation.  They use 16-bit integers as array subscripts, so arrays get
> limited to 2^16.  They always generate branches using the 16-bit offset
> instructions, instead of the 32-bit ones, so CODE segments get limited to
> 32K.  None of this is Apple's doing, or intrinsic to the hardware or the
> Mac OS.

Having done development work on a Mac since early January, 1984 (although
admittedly not recently), I can confirm that it is *NOT* a MC68000 or Mac
hardware limitation.  It is, however, a limitation built into the Mac OS,
designed to make it possible to run reasonable apps on a machine with just
128K or RAM.  by swapping segments in and out of main memory. That, of
course, is just like Windows' segment-swapping.

> Actually, it's hard to fault the compiler writers.  It seemed so reasonable at
> the time.  But with today's cheap memory, it's a bad idea to build those
> limitations into the compilers.

Compiler writers?  Heck, we were using a cross-assembler to do this, and we
had the same limitation!  There weren't a lot of development tools available
before January 24...

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

ccimino@athena.mit.edu (c cimino) (06/13/91)

It seems likely that the difference in speed is largely based on the underlying
system software.  Windows is less efficient because it is built on top of DOS
instead of DOS being redesigned for Windows.

-chris cimino   my thoughts are my own.