[comp.windows.ms] Associated Files

martin@hq.af.mil (Gregory.J.Martin) (06/11/91)

Question, I've setup WIN.INI to launch my own text editor when I select
a *.doc or *.txt file, however, windows always feeds the path to my
editor as the filename for the file I want to edit.  So instead of
editing c:\subdir\some.txt I wind up editing c:\acc\some.txt.  I've
tried specifying the path to my editor in win.ini and not specifying it.
Anyone have a hint?

\Greg
-- DPNET                 | Capt Greg Martin HQ AFMPC/DPMDW| Penn State Alumnus
-It's what I do          | Rm 4E150 Pentagon, DC 20330    |
-It's what I love        | Comm:703-697-7558 Mil:227-7558 | Disclaimer: These
-It's what they pay      | DPNet: Greg@dpnet mgt@dp       |  are my opinions--
             me for!     | Internet:Greg@dpnet.hq.af.mil  |   but I share!

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven List) (06/13/91)

martin@hq.af.mil (Gregory.J.Martin) writes:

>Question, I've setup WIN.INI to launch my own text editor when I select
>a *.doc or *.txt file, however, windows always feeds the path to my
>editor as the filename for the file I want to edit.  So instead of
>editing c:\subdir\some.txt I wind up editing c:\acc\some.txt.  I've
>tried specifying the path to my editor in win.ini and not specifying it.
>Anyone have a hint?

Yup - if you specify a path from which to start your executable in
WIN.INI, then it uses that path as both the startup directory and
the path from which to get the file.  Try including the directory that
includes your editor in your PATH and then just the executable name
in WIN.INI.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :