[comp.windows.ms] Does FileManager understand DDE ???

rehne@daimi.aau.dk (Soren Rehne) (06/11/91)

Soren Rehne
Denmark

bonneau@hyper.hyper.com (Paul Bonneau) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.100942.18657@daimi.aau.dk> rehne@daimi.aau.dk (Soren Rehne) writes:
>Soren Rehne
>Denmark

Yes.  It talks to the Program Maneger.  If you drag an
executable icon from a File Manager window to the Program
Manager, it gets "installed" in the group dragged to.  DDE is
used for the inter-process communication.

cheers - Paul Bonneau.

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.215405.17084@hyper.hyper.com> bonneau@hyper.UUCP (Paul Bonneau,,) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.100942.18657@daimi.aau.dk> rehne@daimi.aau.dk (Soren Rehne) writes:
>
>Yes.  It talks to the Program Maneger.  If you drag an
>executable icon from a File Manager window to the Program
>Manager, it gets "installed" in the group dragged to.  DDE is
>used for the inter-process communication.

I'm returning this reply in a hurry because I think the answer given
above is wrong. I would have tested it using Spy, but my Development
kit is currently off my machine awaiting more disk space. I *believe*
that the FileManager and the Program Manager have a couple of
undocumented calls that they use to do the info passing. Perhaps
someone with better info can confirm this.

I seem to recall that the calls are mentioned somewhere in the
voluminous SDK docs, but developers are warned not to use them as they
are currently not supported. I got the feeling that MS was leaving its
options open as far as support was concerned.

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.215405.17084@hyper.hyper.com> bonneau@hyper.UUCP (Paul Bonneau,,) writes:

>Yes.  It talks to the Program Maneger.  If you drag an
>executable icon from a File Manager window to the Program
>Manager, it gets "installed" in the group dragged to.  DDE is
>used for the inter-process communication.

				sorta . the method in which FM and PM
does this is kind of " meta-DDE " ; a proprietary method which may or
may not be standardized in later versions . you can't really do it with
straight DDE .

--
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @