[comp.windows.ms] getting pkunzip to work

eaton@eecs.ucdavis.edu (William Eaton) (06/12/91)

I just tried to ftp some stuff from cica.cica.indiana. I got pkunzip
and a whole bunch of other files. When I went to run pkunzip, all I
got was a flashing cursor. No hard drive activity, no nothing. I made
sure to do a binary transfer, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Any ideas?

Here's what I did:
	*logged onto school mainframe using terminal
	*ftp'd to cica
	*gave binary command
	*got files
	*quit ftp
	*tranferred files to my PC using kermit protocol
	*exited windows
	*typed "pkunzip" -> nothin' happened
Bill Eaton
insert standard disclaimer here

sguerke@chopin.udel.edu (Stephen Guerke) (06/12/91)

In article <9155@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> eaton@eecs.ucdavis.edu (William Eaton) writes:

 >	*exited windows

 Did you change to the directory that you downloaded too?

 >	*typed "pkunzip" -> nothin' happened

 check  the name of the file you transfered.  PKZIP110.EXE is the way
 it is usually stored on bullitin boards, Genie and Compuserve.  This
 is a self extracting file.  Once you have extracted the pkzip files
 you can then type pkunzip <filename>.  be sure to include the filename
 that you are unziping.  You also must include the path if the file you
 are unziping is in another directory.
 your command should look something like:
 c:\pkzipdir>pkunzip c:\somedir\filename.zip

 >Bill Eaton
 >insert standard disclaimer here

 Good luck

   Stephen Guerke, Coord. Computer Resources  sguerke@brahms.udel.edu
   University of Delaware Parallel Program    stephen.guerke@mvs.udel.edu
   Georgetown, DE 19947                       ILV20078@UDELVM.UDEL.EDU

mccashin@salal.chspr.ubc.ca (Brian McCashin) (06/12/91)

In article <9155@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> eaton@eecs.ucdavis.edu (William Eaton) writes:

>I just tried to ftp some stuff from cica.cica.indiana. I got pkunzip
>and a whole bunch of other files. When I went to run pkunzip, all I
>got was a flashing cursor. No hard drive activity, no nothing. I made
>sure to do a binary transfer, so that shouldn't be the problem.
>Any ideas?
>
>Here's what I did:
>	*logged onto school mainframe using terminal
>	*ftp'd to cica
>	*gave binary command
>	*got files
>	*quit ftp
>	*tranferred files to my PC using kermit protocol
>	*exited windows
>	*typed "pkunzip" -> nothin' happened
>Bill Eaton
>insert standard disclaimer here

You mention using kermit to transfer from the "school mainframe". Are you
sure you told your mainframe to transfer binary as well as FTP cica->mainframe.
pkunzip has been on cica for a long time so I doubt that it's corrupt.

Brian McCashin                            Internet: mccashin@unixg.ubc.ca
Senior Programmer/Analyst                 Bitnet: USERJAZZ@UBCMTSG
Centre For Health Services and Policy Research
University of British Columbia, Vancouver CANADA

bdh@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Brian D. Howard) (06/12/91)

eaton@eecs.ucdavis.edu (William Eaton) writes:

>	*tranferred files to my PC using kermit protocol

What were you using for that kermit file transfer and
did you tell it that it was a binary file transfer.

>	*typed "pkunzip" -> nothin' happened

What happens when you just run pkunzip by itself?
Is the disk good?  (Run chkdsk)
--
"Hire the young while they still know everything."

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Miramar [Eugene Mok]) (06/14/91)

eaton@eecs.ucdavis.edu (William Eaton) writes:

>	*quit ftp

Tell both the local and remote kermit 'set file type binary'
and you should be home free

     | o o |    Eugene Mok  s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au  (Melbourne OZ)
     \  ^  /