[comp.windows.ms] Is MS-Windows.....?

jones@hal.uvm.edu (Mike Jones) (06/11/91)

What kind of multi-tasking does Windows3-386 use ?
I have heard.....
 1.)  Non-preemptive multi-tasking.  (i.e. does a routine have to yield the
					CPU on it's own)
 2.)  pre-emptive (kernel gives each process a slice of CPU time.)

mrj.

jones@uvm.edu 				(internet)
jones%griffin.uvm.edu@uvmvax.bitnet  	(bitnet)

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (06/11/91)

In article <JONES.91Jun10173637@hal.uvm.edu> jones@hal.uvm.edu (Mike Jones) writes:
>What kind of multi-tasking does Windows3-386 use ?
>I have heard.....
> 1.)  Non-preemptive multi-tasking.  (i.e. does a routine have to yield the
>					CPU on it's own)
> 2.)  pre-emptive (kernel gives each process a slice of CPU time.)
>
>mrj.

BOTH.  #1 is used in the Windows VM.  #2 is used between all VMs including
the windows and DOS VMs.  This is in 386Enh in Standard or Real only #1 is
used.

Chris

--
Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1

pshuang@athena.mit.edu (Ping-Shun Huang) (06/12/91)

In article <JONES.91Jun10173637@hal.uvm.edu> jones@hal.uvm.edu (Mike Jones) writes:

 > 1.)  Non-preemptive multi-tasking.  (i.e. does a routine have to yield the
 > 					   CPU on it's own)
 > 2.)  pre-emptive (kernel gives each process a slice of CPU time.)

Both.  Windows 3.0 running in 386 enhanced mode can use time-slicing to
provide CPU time to DOS applications running in virtual-86 boxes, but it
depends on non-preemptive, cooperative multitasking *BETWEEN* real
Windows applications.  In other words, if you have a Windows app which
is being a CPU hog by not yielding properly, the other Windows
application starve for cycles, but DOS apps will still get their time
slices.  Example: you have Wordperfect 5.1 and Word for Windows and
another buggy Windows app multitasking together.  The buggy app goes
into a loop where it does not make the proper system call to yield the
CPU.  Word for Windows will grind to a halt, but Wordperfect will not.

--
Singing off,
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang).

bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT) (06/16/91)

In jones@hal.uvm.edu (Mike Jones) writes:
%% What kind of multi-tasking does Windows3-386 use ?
%% I have heard.....
%%  1.)  Non-preemptive multi-tasking.  (i.e. does a routine have to yield the
%% 					CPU on it's own)
%%  2.)  pre-emptive (kernel gives each process a slice of CPU time.)

Both...

Non-preemptive among Windows applications.

Preemptive among virtual machines (i.e., among DOS sessions and the
Windows session).
--
--  NOTE:  The above is mine alone; I do NOT speak for Microsoft.