[comp.windows.ms] WFW memory woes/ salvaging garbage documents

Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.bc.ca (Bruce Dunn) (06/17/91)

> fahole@cc.usu.edu writes:
> I was working on a short (20 page) doc and got a message that I was
> low on memory and should close some windows and save the doc.  I didn't have
> any windows to close so I just saved the doc.  Windows started the save, then
> UAEed me.  Whats worse, when I tried to reload the doc after rebooting I got
> an immediate UAE.  I have, as a result, lost the entire doc back to my
> previous
> tape backup, hours of work.  The new file is extremely effective at causing a
> UAE anytime I care to have one just by trying to load it.  I found out too
> late
> that clicking the "make backup" box in save as options only applies to the
> current file.

     I had a similar thing happen to me with a WORD for DOS document - a file
corrupted by a bad floppy drive had some aberrant character or sequence in the
formatting section of the file which caused the computer to lock up when
scrolling the document.  I salvaged the text of the document by loading the
file into a text editor (in this case Norton Commander).  Both WORD for DOS and
WORD for WINDOWS store information for formatting etc. in front of the text and
at the end of the text.  I deleted the formatting information and saved the
result, creating a file with all the original words of the document but without
the information on fonts, tabs etc.
     If you get a word processing file that hangs when it it opened, try this -
look at the file with any text editor and delete the stuff which isn't text.
Save the remaining text, reload into your word processor, and reformat.  Sure
beats trying to recreate a lost document.  Of course, we all never get in this
situation because we all make frequent backups :-)
--
Bruce Dunn    Vancouver, Canada   Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.bc.ca