[comp.windows.ms] Does DOS 5.0 improve Windows Speed

u1713971@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (06/16/91)

Does DOS 5.0 improve speed...

I haven't put it to the old stop wath test, but it seems to load things
faster than DOS 4.01 on my machine.  I have a 20 Mhz 286, 2 meg, 80 meg IDE
drive.
Impressions so far, it has a smoother feel to it that I can't seem to explain.
If only I could get 4DOS to work with it properly.  That chews up to much
memory.  I have 618 K free on my 286 with an increase in loading programs,
both in windows and dos.

	Terry
		terryr@uno.cs.mu.oz.au

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun16.181446.2067@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> u1713971@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au writes:
>Does DOS 5.0 improve speed...
>
>I haven't put it to the old stop wath test, but it seems to load things
>faster than DOS 4.01 on my machine.  I have a 20 Mhz 286, 2 meg, 80 meg IDE
>drive.
>Impressions so far, it has a smoother feel to it that I can't seem to explain.
>If only I could get 4DOS to work with it properly.  That chews up to much
>memory.  I have 618 K free on my 286 with an increase in loading programs,
>both in windows and dos.

Here is what I have found so far withDOS 5.0, QEMM, 4DOS, and WINDOWS.

1.) I have 3 floppy drives. DOS 3.30 use to label my floppies A:, B:, and C:.
I have an Adaptec AHA1542B SCSI controller with a 307Mb CDC Wren IV drive. I
used to have it partitioned as drives D: through M:. Now under DOS 5, I made
two partitions, a 287Mb one for DOS, and a 20Mb one for a permanent swapfile.
With DOS 5, it moved my third floppy to the end, at drive E:. My HD partitions
are C: and D:. This meant some paths had to change.

2.) QEMM, DOS, and 4DOS all seem to have different ideas about UMB's. If I use
QEMM, I can use 4DOS and it loads into high memory just fine. Unfortunately
the "mem" command shows no UMB's. I haven't tried everything, but QEMM's
loadhi.sys also gives QEMM exceptions. If I use QEMM and try to use the DOS 5
command interpreter with the "DOS=HIGH,UMB" in config.sys, QEMM gives an
exception.

I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.

3.) Windows so far seems to work OK. I need to fix lots of paths since my HD
structure changed.

I still need to play around. It is slow going. Half the time my machine won't
boot when I change something and have to boot off floppy and restore the
config.sys parameters.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254