[comp.windows.ms] Basic Windows questions

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) (06/12/91)

I have a few questions regarding MS-Windows.  I have used MS-Windows
just a little bit, and have never programmed anything for this
platform.  My gut feeling is that it must be a real bear to write
MS-Windows applications.

    - Is this true?

    - What about the fact that it runs on top of MS-DOS - isn't this
      inherently limiting?

    - Is memory access beyond 640K slow?

    - Do you crave OS/2?

I also have another question which is, er, kind of embarassing.  RTFM
is an acceptable response.  I erased the solitaire executable from the
windows directory.  I now want to reinstall the game.  I copied the
executable back from the floppy, but it doesn't run.  I get a nasty
error message which tells me I should shut down Windows.  What do I
have to do to get this thing working again?

Thanks!

    Peter

Peter E. Wagner          (401)863-7685        pew@cs.brown.edu
Department Computer Science   Box 1910        pew@BROWNCS.BITNET
Brown University, Providence, RI 02912        uunet!brunix!pew

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven List) (06/14/91)

pew@cs.brown.edu (Peter E. Wagner) writes:

>I have a few questions regarding MS-Windows.  I have used MS-Windows
>just a little bit, and have never programmed anything for this
>platform.  My gut feeling is that it must be a real bear to write
>MS-Windows applications.
>
>    - Is this true?

If you're talking about using C or C++, yes it's true.  Using one of the
packages like ToolBook or Actor or Smalltalk is much easier.  Or you can
wait a little while for Borland and others to come out with things like
the Object Windows Library for C++, which should make life much easier.
There are lots of packages out there now that make it a lot easier in
both 3GL, 4GL, and OOP environments.

>I also have another question which is, er, kind of embarassing.  RTFM
>is an acceptable response.  I erased the solitaire executable from the
>windows directory.  I now want to reinstall the game.  I copied the
>executable back from the floppy, but it doesn't run.  I get a nasty
>error message which tells me I should shut down Windows.  What do I
>have to do to get this thing working again?

I believe you have to expand the file.  There should be an EXPAND.EXE on
on of the disks.  I don't have the precise details on how to run it, but
it's not too tough...  I believe you just execute "EXPAND sol.exe".
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (06/18/91)

Is it a bear to write MS Windows in C/C++?  Well it depends what you're
comparing...  (I'm currently finishing up a port of a 30,000 line program
from DOS to WINDOWS).

If you're used to writing programs that simply write to standard output
and read from standard input, converting the program from a teletype-style
user interface to a GUI user interface will be a big job

IF HOWEVER you're used to writing all the GUI code YOURSELF, Windows
programing is a breeze.  In my DOS program, I wrote all of the dialog
box handling code, all of the menu handling code, etc.  In other words I
wrote the code to put a dialog box on the screen and interpret it.  Ditto
for menus.  What a chore!  (yes I know that there are libraries out there).

Anyway it was a joy to move the program over to Windows, THROW AWAY my
printer drivers (the three I wrote took maybe 2 weeks each), THROW AWAY
my menu manager and dialog box manager, and port the remaining application.

Anyway, the punchline is this:  if you're used to writing programs that provide
a modern user interface, Windows programming will seem easy.  If you've yet
to step up to drop-down menus, dialog boxes, etc. it will seem more difficult.

Note that this isn't a plug for C/C++.  Use what works.

Terrell