[comp.windows.ms] MS-DOS v5.0 Release Date 11th June

ALAN.MCADOO@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Alan McAdoo) (05/31/91)

Microsoft Holland have informed me that thay are now accepting orders
for MS-DOS 5.0, which will be released World-Wide on 11th June.

Here in Holland, I have ordered the MS-DOS v5.0 UPGRADE. ( I had to
send a photocopy of the first page of my MS-DOS Manual).
The price for the upgrade here is $120.

I have actually ordered it from an update service -
LogicSoft tel (31)20-614-6161). Microsoft tel (31)2503-13181.

Stanadard Discaimer Applies.

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (05/31/91)

In article <b6a4pw.hvy@wang.com> ALAN.MCADOO@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Alan McAdoo) writes:
>Microsoft Holland have informed me that thay are now accepting orders
>for MS-DOS 5.0, which will be released World-Wide on 11th June.

How will the operation of Windows 3.0 be affected by DOS 5.0, if at all?
Carl Riehm.

gurganus@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (James P Gurganus) (06/02/91)

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:

>In article <b6a4pw.hvy@wang.com> ALAN.MCADOO@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Alan McAdoo) writes:
>>Microsoft Holland have informed me that thay are now accepting orders
>>for MS-DOS 5.0, which will be released World-Wide on 11th June.
>>

>How will the operation of Windows 3.0 be affected by DOS 5.0, if at all?
>Carl Riehm.

I saw someone using a beta version of Ms Dos 5.0.  They said you needed
some extra file in your root directory to run Windows 3.0.  Does anyone
know what this file does or if its really needed?

Renee@cup.portal.com (Renee Linda Roberts) (06/03/91)

DOS 5.0 has (of all things), a task manager similar to Windows. Also, the
limited docs I have don't mention the filename necessary for Windows and
DOS to function together. I will chat with MS and see what I can see,

Renee Roberts

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (06/04/91)

In article <gurganus.675797385@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> gurganus@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (James P Gurganus) writes:
>riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
>I saw someone using a beta version of Ms Dos 5.0.  They said you needed
>some extra file in your root directory to run Windows 3.0.  Does anyone
>know what this file does or if its really needed?

That is correct.  The file is called something like WINA20.386.  I
don't know what it does, and I haven't tried deleting it either.

gettys@yacht.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys) (06/04/91)

	The file for Windows V3 and DOS 5 to co-exist is called WINA20.386.
It looks like it might have something to do with the 64k HMA from the error
messages contained within.

	/s/	Bob

p.s. - I can state that windows will not run without it!

schuster@panix.uucp (Michael Schuster) (06/04/91)

In article <42913@cup.portal.com> Renee@cup.portal.com (Renee Linda Roberts) writes:
>DOS 5.0 has (of all things), a task manager similar to Windows. Also, the
>limited docs I have don't mention the filename necessary for Windows and
>DOS to function together. I will chat with MS and see what I can see,

WINA20.386

It has something to do with A20 gating (to access "high" memory) in
virtual 8086 mode on 386 machines.

--
 Mike Schuster                                      |    CIS: 70346,1745
 NY Public Access UNIX:  ...cmcl2!panix!schuster    |    MCI Mail, GENIE:

dcrowley@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (David Crowley) (06/04/91)

In article <gurganus.675797385@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> gurganus@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (James P Gurganus) writes:
>riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
>
>>>for MS-DOS 5.0, which will be released World-Wide on 11th June.
	And not before time too :-(

>>How will the operation of Windows 3.0 be affected by DOS 5.0, if at all?
	Win3 works fine for me under Dos5 though there were a fee initial
      hiccups, cause I don't have enough memory to put all that I want
      up into himem like you can do with qemm. But no I'm hooning and
      get more memory for dos apps under windows. :-)

>some extra file in your root directory to run Windows 3.0.  Does anyone
>know what this file does or if its really needed?
	Yep, this is true. When you get all your N disks that come with
      Dos5 and then type setup to install it, it puts a file called
      WINA20.386 in to root dir on your boot disk (ie C:) and if this
      file does not exist windows will not run in 386enh mode.
	Ohh, yea and another thing. Is it possible to set up expanded
      memory, extended memory, put stuff up in himem and still be able
      to run win in standard mode? I couldn't get it to work. I can
      only run in 386enh mode which is fine, but I was wondering?-)

								David...

--
-----------------=\|/= = = = = Don't blow up, it's more fun to implode ! = = =
  David Crowley  --@--  Database Programmer, Macquarie University, Australia

tran@peora.sdc.ccur.com (Nhan Tran) (06/05/91)

   What is new features in MS-DOS v5.0 ?   Are they worth switching to?

Nhan Tran

galenr@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Galen Raben) (06/05/91)

In comp.windows.ms, dcrowley@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (David Crowley) writes:

>	Ohh, yea and another thing. Is it possible to set up expanded
>      memory, extended memory, put stuff up in himem and still be able
>      to run win in standard mode? I couldn't get it to work. I can
>      only run in 386enh mode which is fine, but I was wondering?-)

>								David...
>-----------------=\|/= = = = = Don't blow up, it's more fun to implode ! = = =
>  David Crowley  --@--  Database Programmer, Macquarie University, Australia
>----------------- /|\             email: dcrowley@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au
>At MacUni-Phone = 61 2 805-8792 Room = EsevenB 238. At home-Phone = 489-5384

I've also run into the same problem with running in standard mode - seems to
have something to do with the EMM386 driver supplied...  If I don't load EMM386
Windows runs standard mode just fine (but then you can't take advantage of
(no I'm not complaining, its a great product!)

Galen

jcohen@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Josh Cohen [890918]) (06/06/91)

I have seen a machine here running DOS5.00, and windows..  Its is cool.
Dos loads itself int o HI Memory.. normally, it takes up 13k!
typing mem at the dos prompt, show 612k free!.
it seems to work VERY well with windows.. more to follow
Josh COhen
jrc5@pl118c.cc.lehigh.edu

n65j@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (06/07/91)

In article <1300064@hpgrla.gr.hp.com>,
galenr@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Galen Raben) writes:
> In comp.windows.ms, dcrowley@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au (David Crowley) writes:
>
>>	Ohh, yea and another thing. Is it possible to set up expanded
>>      memory, extended memory, put stuff up in himem and still be able
>>      to run win in standard mode? I couldn't get it to work. I can
>>      only run in 386enh mode which is fine, but I was wondering?-)
>
>>								David...
>>-----------------=\|/= = = = = Don't blow up, it's more fun to implode ! = = =
>>  David Crowley  --@--  Database Programmer, Macquarie University, Australia
>>----------------- /|\             email: dcrowley@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au
>>At MacUni-Phone = 61 2 805-8792 Room = EsevenB 238. At home-Phone = 489-5384
>
> I've also run into the same problem with running in standard mode - seems to
> have something to do with the EMM386 driver supplied...  If I don't load EMM386
> Windows runs standard mode just fine (but then you can't take advantage of
> (no I'm not complaining, its a great product!)
>
> Galen

EMM386 is not designed to work with Standard mode.  Try Quarterdeck's
QEMM; version 5.11 or 5.12 works with Standard mode well, in my experience,
providing some EMS memory and also replacing HIMEM.SYS.

-- regards, Steve Pacenka, Cornell U.

bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT) (06/07/91)

(David Crowley) writes:
%% (James P Gurganus) writes:
%% >riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
%% >some extra file in your root directory to run Windows 3.0.  Does anyone
%% >know what this file does or if its really needed?
%% 	Yep, this is true. When you get all your N disks that come with
%%       Dos5 and then type setup to install it, it puts a file called
%%       WINA20.386 in to root dir on your boot disk (ie C:) and if this
%%       file does not exist windows will not run in 386enh mode.
%% 	Ohh, yea and another thing. Is it possible to set up expanded
%%       memory, extended memory, put stuff up in himem and still be able
%%       to run win in standard mode? I couldn't get it to work. I can
%%       only run in 386enh mode which is fine, but I was wondering?-)

The file WINA20.386 is a Windows 3.0 virtual device driver, and arbitrates
the A20 line used by HIMEM.SYS.  This virtualization should be handled
in the next version of Windows, but for now the file is required.

While DOS installs put the file in your root, you don't have to leave
it there.  By adding the line

    switches = /w

to your DOS 5 CONFIG.SYS, you can put WINA20.386 anywhere.  Just be sure
to add the line

    device=c:\dos\wina20.386 ; or wherever the correct path is

to the [386Enh] section of SYSTEM.INI.

As for the conflict between DOS 5 UMB support and Windows '286 mode...
You're not hallucinating; the conflict is real.  Windows detects that
some other protected-mode software is running, and won't load.  I can't
say if/when this conflict will go away.

--
--  Bob Schmidt             bobsc@microsoft.UUCP
--

timr@gssc.UUCP (Tim Roberts) (06/11/91)

In article <72798@microsoft.UUCP> bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT) writes:
>(David Crowley) writes:
>%% 	Ohh, yea and another thing. Is it possible to set up expanded
>%%       memory, extended memory, put stuff up in himem and still be able
>%%       to run win in standard mode? I couldn't get it to work. I can
>%%       only run in 386enh mode which is fine, but I was wondering?-)
>
>As for the conflict between DOS 5 UMB support and Windows '286 mode...
>You're not hallucinating; the conflict is real.  Windows detects that
>some other protected-mode software is running, and won't load.  I can't
>say if/when this conflict will go away.

Bob, is this the official Microsoft position, or are you speaking on your own?
Your last sentence shows extreme short-sightedness and a lack of understanding
of the seriousness of this problem.

Why was this incompatibility allowed to happen?  This failure in DOS 5 nearly
makes it unacceptable for Windows developers.  Our drivers have to work in
EACH of the Windows modes.  Now, running DOS 5's EMM386, I can no longer test
Standard mode.

QEMM happily coexists with Windows in Real, Enhanced, AND Standard modes.
If Quarterdeck can achieve 386 memory detente with your OS and your
window manager, then surely Microsoft itself should be able to do at least
as good a job!

This is a SIGNIFICANT deficiency.  I sincerely hope Microsoft is making more
of an effort to isolate and correct this flaw than is indicated in your mail.
--
timr@gssc.gss.com	Tim N Roberts, CCP	Graphic Software Systems
						Beaverton, OR

This is a very long palindrome. .emordnilap gnol yrev a si sihT

conrad@tharr.UUCP (Conrad Longmore) (06/12/91)

Well, I have to say that the launch in the UK was a farce. There were only
400 or so seats available in the auditorium, and Microsoft invited 43,000
people. It didn't matter much if you'd been invited and confirmed that you
were going, because only a few hundred people were registered on the
Microsoft database! Worse it was hosted by "trendy" TV presenter Jonathan
Ross who's knowledge of computers is probably as good as my cat's! (Only
joking Mr Ross)

Now, where did I put the phone number for DR?

--
    // Conrad Longmore   / Uucp: ..!ukc!axion!tharr!conrad / All opinions   //
   // Academic SysAdmin / Janet: tharr!conrad @ uk.ac.ukc / stated are     //

jsims@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (J. Robert Sims) (06/13/91)

In article <6669@gssc.UUCP> timr@gssc.UUCP (Tim Roberts) writes:
>In article <72798@microsoft.UUCP> bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT) writes:
>>(David Crowley) writes:
>>%% 	Ohh, yea and another thing. Is it possible to set up expanded
>>%%       memory, extended memory, put stuff up in himem and still be able
>>%%       to run win in standard mode? I couldn't get it to work. I can
>>%%       only run in 386enh mode which is fine, but I was wondering?-)
>>
>>As for the conflict between DOS 5 UMB support and Windows '286 mode...
>>You're not hallucinating; the conflict is real.  Windows detects that
>>some other protected-mode software is running, and won't load.  I can't
>>say if/when this conflict will go away.
>
>Bob, is this the official Microsoft position, or are you speaking on your own?
>Your last sentence shows extreme short-sightedness and a lack of understanding
>of the seriousness of this problem.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was the official position.  I
called tech support because Word for Windows appeared to be grabbing
more system resources than it should; I had two documents open, and
couldn't print due to insufficient memory! (With _ample_ available
RAM).  The resources figure was quite low, but from what I could tell
WfW was grabbing over 50% of system resources.  Tech support told me
that the resources had disappeared into a black hole; the solution was
to restart Windows, because Windows does not properly release
resources when applications are finished.  When I asked about an
update, I was told that "Microsoft doesn't consider this to be a bug,"
and that I should reboot my machine often to eliminate the problem.

Microsoft said the same thing about a bug in Word for Dos 5.5's
postscript driver.  In certain fonts (Courier, I think), subscripts
are totally misaligned horizontally.  I was told that this fix was not
on their future plan; their developers were working on a different
project.

Microsoft tech support is also unhelpful with any problem or question
not documented in the manual, and does not return phone calls when
they say they will.  Microsoft's policy is to develop something until
it's saleable, and then screw anybody with problems.

If Microsoft developers would spend more time on the core of the
software, and less on fancy hidden credit screens, the software might
be better.

Rob

bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT) (06/15/91)

I wrote:

  As for the conflict between DOS 5 UMB support and Windows '286 mode...
  You're not hallucinating; the conflict is real.  Windows detects that
  some other protected-mode software is running, and won't load.  I can't
  say if/when this conflict will go away.

Tim Roberts responded:

  Bob, is this the official Microsoft position, or are you speaking on your own?
  Your last sentence shows extreme short-sightedness and a lack of understanding
  of the seriousness of this problem.

  Why was this incompatibility allowed to happen?  This failure in DOS 5 nearly
  makes it unacceptable for Windows developers.  Our drivers have to work in
  EACH of the Windows modes.  Now, running DOS 5's EMM386, I can no longer test
  Standard mode.

  QEMM happily coexists with Windows in Real, Enhanced, AND Standard modes.
  If Quarterdeck can achieve 386 memory detente with your OS and your
  window manager, then surely Microsoft itself should be able to do at least
  as good a job!

  This is a SIGNIFICANT deficiency.  I sincerely hope Microsoft is making more
  of an effort to isolate and correct this flaw than is indicated in your mail.

My reply:

  I am speaking on my own.  I should have stated such in my signature,
  and aplogize for the confusion.  I have ammended my signoff to reflect
  this.  I was not stating any official Microsoft position, but rather
  simply confirming someone else's observation.  The "Microsoft"
  in my signature lets readers know who/where I am; it does *not*
  imply an endorsement of my words by MS.

  As an employee of Microsoft Product Support, I am quite limited
  in what I'm allowed to discuss in a non-confidential forum, such
  as this.  Other parts of the company may enjoy more freedom; I don't.
  When I post something to UseNet, even in a "non-official" capacity,
  I have a sometimes ill-defined line I cannot cross.  Trust me, I
  wish it were otherwise.

  I figure it's better to say something than nothing at all.  In my
  former life, I was a Microsoft customer; I want to help you.
  Please know that I'm operating in "good faith" for both you all and MS.

  Now, concerning EMM386...I can honestly tell you that both Windows
  Development and DOS Development are looking at it.  There is no
  word yet on a fix.  I don't know why this was "allowed to happen".
  My conjecture is that Windows was not written with DOS 5 in mind,
  and that the DOS people felt the plus of UMB outweighed this minus.
  The file WINA20.386 falls into this same category, as a work-around
  for Windows not expecting DOS to mess with the A20 line.

  My educated guess is that we will fix this in the next release of
  Windows (along with obviating WINA20.386).  Note that the conflict
  only arises when you use EMM386 for UMB support.  You can turn
  off UMB, and the problem will go away.  This will at least allow
  you to run in standard mode, although maybe not under the memory
  configuration you would like.
--
--  NOTE:  The above is mine alone; I do NOT speak for Microsoft.
--
--  Bob Schmidt        bobsc@microsoft.UUCP
--
--  Bellevue WA USA    Windows SDK Support
--  Sydney NSW AUS     Developer Support (after 1 Oct)

antonio@qualcom.qualcomm.com (Franklin Antonio) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun13.161907.25853@vuse.vanderbilt.edu> jsims@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (J. Robert Sims) writes:
>It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this was the official position.  I
>called tech support because Word for Windows appeared to be grabbing
>more system resources than it should; I had two documents open, and
>couldn't print due to insufficient memory! (With _ample_ available

I have seen this very same symptom.  I have often had two documents open
(sometimes just one page memos), and been unable to switch documents
or print the second document after printing the first.  W4W interacts
with Windows to produce some kind of memory management confusion.  In one
case, i was unable to switch to a 2nd document, even tho the program
manager said i had 1800k mem and 62% of system resources available.
It's pretty obvious that W4W gets Windows confused.

>Tech support told me
>that the resources had disappeared into a black hole; the solution was
>to restart Windows, because Windows does not properly release
>resources when applications are finished.

I think it's more complicated than that.  I've seen W4W claim there wasn't
enough memory, even when there was, in cases where NO APP HAD EVER TERMINATED
in the present windows session!

>When I asked about an
>update, I was told that "Microsoft doesn't consider this to be a bug,"
>and that I should reboot my machine often to eliminate the problem.

It's pretty obvious that there are memory management bugs in W4W.
Microsoft has the habit of putting some pretty junior people on the
tech support phone lines.  My theory is that that's how they train
new people.

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (06/16/91)

Note: This post has absolutely nothing to do with Windows, DOS 5.0, or
the IBM PC, and no doubt belongs in whatever the administration
conference (group) is for Usenet, but since I a) don't know what group
that would be and b) don't follow any such group, I am posting it here.
Be advised and assured that I know doing so is/was wrong...

Now, how's that for a caveat???  But wait, it gets better...

bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT) writes:

>  I am speaking on my own.  I should have stated such in my signature,
>  and aplogize for the confusion.  I have ammended my signoff to reflect
>  this.  I was not stating any official Microsoft position, but rather
>  simply confirming someone else's observation.  The "Microsoft"
>  in my signature lets readers know who/where I am; it does *not*
>  imply an endorsement of my words by MS.

>  As an employee of Microsoft Product Support, I am quite limited
>  in what I'm allowed to discuss in a non-confidential forum, such
>  as this.  Other parts of the company may enjoy more freedom; I don't.
>  When I post something to UseNet, even in a "non-official" capacity,
>  I have a sometimes ill-defined line I cannot cross.  Trust me, I
>  wish it were otherwise.

I've been reading these disclaimers for quite a while now, and after a
while they do get tiresome.  Does anyone really think they are necessary?
(I like the ones by people who are basically one man shops and they can
quite truthfully say that what they right does represent the views of
their organization/boss/whatever...)

I suggest two possible alternatives (to having to continually wade
through this drivel [nothing personal at all toward you, Bob.  I've been
thinking this for quite a while, and arbitrarily chose this occasion to
post; probably something about the current state of my body chemistry...])

	a) People cease putting their corporate affiliations in their
	signatures.  Then readers will never get the impression that
	authors are speaking for their companies.  This notion is
	consistent with the general fact that Usenet is a adamantly
	non-commercial entity, and people are *never* speaking for their
	companies here (except for the degenerate case mentioned above)
	(Contrast this with Compu$erve or GEnie, which are commercial
	entities, with company sponsored groups, etc)

	b) Failing this, can't we just change the default assumption to
	be that whatever is posted here does not represent anyone else's
	views or official positions (unless explicitly stated otherwise)

So?  Whaddya think?  Food for thought...
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

bobsc@microsoft.UUCP (Bob SCHMIDT) (06/16/91)

In article <72917@microsoft.UUCP> I wrote:

   [concerning EMM386 and WIN /2 conflict]

%% My educated guess is that we will fix this in the next release of
%% Windows (along with obviating WINA20.386).  Note that the conflict
%% only arises when you use EMM386 for UMB support.  You can turn
%% off UMB, and the problem will go away.  This will at least allow
%% you to run in standard mode, although maybe not under the memory
%% configuration you would like.

I want to clarify this a bit.  While the UMB support does cause this
conflict, so will EMS.  That is, if EMM386 has actually allocated and used
EMS on behalf of some application, Windows will not run in standard mode.
For example, add the lines

    device=c:\dos\emm386.exe on
    device=c:\dos\ramdrive.sys /a

to CONFIG.SYS and reboot.  This creates a RAM-drive in expanded memory.
Now WIN /S (or WIN /2) will generate the familiar "can't run" message.

Also, the question was raised "why does QEMM work?".  It appears
that QEMM works by patching the Windows DOS extender (DOSX.EXE).
If true, this is extremely version-bound; I've heard that the
QEMM version that works in Windows 3.00 breaks in Windows 3.00A.
All this is from unverified sources within MS; you'd have to
contact Quarterdeck for the real scoop.
--

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun15.180650.19010@midway.uchicago.edu>
valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>I've been reading these disclaimers for quite a while now, and after a
>while they do get tiresome.
>
>I suggest two possible alternatives
>
>	a) People cease putting their corporate affiliations in their
>	signatures.  Then readers will never get the impression that
>	authors are speaking for their companies.  This notion is
>	consistent with the general fact that Usenet is a adamantly
>	non-commercial entity, and people are *never* speaking for their
>	companies here (except for the degenerate case mentioned above)
>	(Contrast this with Compu$erve or GEnie, which are commercial
>	entities, with company sponsored groups, etc)

     Posting one's corporate affiliation is necessary so that we can
figure out who may have ulterior motives in pushing a product or
suggesting a commercial solution to someone's problems.  As for Usenet
being "adamantly non-commercial", nonsense.  Lots of companies post
official (or semi-official, or semi-unofficial, or ...) information to
Usenet.  That is generally accepted as a useful service to the
community, as long as this isn't abused by turning it into a pile of
advertising.  Since this is the case, it is necessary for employees of
companies to tell us whether they're speaking officially, guessing or
just plain sneaking out corporate secrets for us.  I agree though that
some people go way overboard.  I always think it's a little ridiculous
when I see a disclaimer by someone affiliated to a University.

                                Sincerely,

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca