[comp.windows.ms] winqvt

cmdegg@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu (RADIATION RESEARCH) (07/23/90)

I have been using WINQVT 4.30 for a couple of weeks and have found a couple
of bugs that I would like to report.  I would report them directly to QPC, but
they conveniently don't have and E-mail address or a telephone number available
to us paying users (I hate US mail because I don't usually get answers when
I ask questions, just a note acknowledging they know about it, maybe... I am not
saying that QPC is this way, just they way other developers are...).
Monitor Saver seems to ignaore input from the comm port for blanking the screen
(I would try Screen Peace, but it seems that there are enough problems with it
that all of you have posted about it in one way or another).  The other, and
probably most annoying thing is that when I launch WNQVT from an icon represent
a config file, I get that QVT.GLB can't be found (I tried copies of the GLB in
both the directory that WINQVT.EXE is in and in the WIN3 directory.
Anyone have a suggestion as to what to do about this?  I do have some globals
that I would like to have initialized when I use QVT, and I think that one of
the best part of Windows 3.0 is the ability to launch an application from
one of its data files.

Thanks in advance

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-|

Gregg Cohen
University of Iowa
Department of Psychiatry
Mental Health Clinical Research Center
1-160A PH University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242

INTERNET	cohen@brodmann.iaf.uiowa.edu
BITNET		cmdgropg@uiamvs
ATTNET		(319)353-6358

Mental Health is more than a state of mind!
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-|

Barry Bailey (10/26/90)

   I have attempted to perform a KERMIT file transfer with WINQVT over
   our 9600 baud PBX/IBX dataline. On our mainframe I run KERMIT and
   initiate a SEND filename command. I then select TRANSFER DOWNLOAD
   KERMIT RECEIVE from the WINQVT pull down menu (also tried the KERMIT
   GET option). Regardless of the FLOW CONTROL or PARITY setting the
   transfer times out. Whether it times out or I select the ABORT option
   under WINQVT I successfully return to my VT100 terminal session (if I
   ABORT, the mainframe KERMIT displays the USER ABORT message,
   indicating that is received a KERMIT FINISH escape sequence).

   While using MSKERMIT for file transfers I have to set PARITY EVEN
   (even though to connect I have to SET PARITY NONE). Typically before
   the file transfer will commence I have to press the ENTER key one to
   three times after MSKERMIT has displayed its file transfer status
   screen. The ENTER key increments the RETRY COUNT by one for each time
   I press it. Usually by the third time MSKERMIT and the mainframe
   KERMIT begin file transfer.

   Does anyone have experience transferring files using WINQVT and
   KERMIT over PBX datalines? How might I send an ENTER key code under
   WINQVT (sort of a kick in the pants to the mainframe KERMIT)? Is
   there another solution?

   barry

   ps

   I suspect that the reason WINQVT works over a PBX at all is its
   support of both SOFTWARE and HARDWARE hangup. HARDWARE hangup entails
   dropping DTR (which is something MSKERMIT also is capable of doing).

   Others developing WIN3 communications packages would do well by a
   somewhat small community of users by including DTR control
   capabilities (WINCOMM?, WINKER?, etc.).

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Miramar [Eugene Mok]) (06/05/91)

How do I send a break signal in Winqvt?

Also how do I set my Unix account so that it sends more
than 25 rows and 80 columns? I tried stty rows 30 or
stty columns 100 but it said unknown mode on both counts.
My system is an Encore Multimax running UMAXV

Thanks...

--
-----/ _ _ \--------------------------------------------------------------------
     | o o |    Eugene Mok  s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au  (Melbourne OZ)
     \  ^  /
------\ o /---------------------------------------------------------------------

bchen@argon.berkeley.edu (Benjamin Chen) (06/05/91)

>Also how do I set my Unix account so that it sends more
>than 25 rows and 80 columns? I tried stty rows 30 or
>stty columns 100 but it said unknown mode on both counts.
>My system is an Encore Multimax running UMAXV

'rows' and 'cols' are valid modes in most BSD-like UNIX systems I've come
across, i.e. Ultrix, SunOS, etc.  To REALLY get > 25 rows, there usually is a
program called 'resize' which sets a variable in your TERMCAP environment
variable: (from man page on /etc/termcap)
     li     num         Number of lines on screen or page.
This is a sample entry from termcap for vt100:
d0|vt100|vt100-am|dec vt100:\
	:cr=^M:do=^J:nl=^J:bl=^G:co#80:li#24:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:\
				       ^^^^^
        :le=^H:bs:am:cm=5\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=2\E[C:up=2\E[A:\
        ... (left out)
'resize' will automatically set li for you, providing the terminal supports
the program....  I've gotten WinQVT to support > 25 lines with this program
WinQVT definitely supports it.

	Hope this helps,

	BC

Benjamin Chen
Electronics Research Laboratory   550-A4 Cory Hall, University of California
(bchen@argon.Berkeley.EDU,  ...!ucbvax!argon!bchen)

mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (06/05/91)

In <1991Jun4.191003.6564@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au>
s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Miramar [Eugene Mok]) writes:

>How do I send a break signal in Winqvt?

Use the F5 key.

While we're on the subject of WinQVT (and have been through several
recent postings), are we certain that with all the griping about
version 4.65 (the most recent on cica.cica.indiana.edu
[129.79.20.22]), that 4.65 is the *most recent* version QPC Software
is putting out?  Are registered users using version 5.xx or something?

I just hate seeing all this bashing of QPC Software (specifically
winQVT) when it may or may not be justified...

Just wondering.

BTW, CICA's network troubles seemed to be cleared up now.  Keep your
fingers crossed!

--

michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu

todd@pvi.UUCP (Todd Bradley x293) (06/06/91)

In article <mr.676135350@ogre> mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>While we're on the subject of WinQVT (and have been through several
>recent postings), are we certain that with all the griping about
>version 4.65 (the most recent on cica.cica.indiana.edu
>[129.79.20.22]), that 4.65 is the *most recent* version QPC Software
>is putting out?  Are registered users using version 5.xx or something?
>
>I just hate seeing all this bashing of QPC Software (specifically
>winQVT) when it may or may not be justified...

I just got my registered version in the mail two days ago, and yes,
it is version 4.65, just like the shareware version but with a manual.
As far as the QPC Software bashing goes--I'm not sure it does any
good to complain here, as I got the feeling that they aren't connected
to the net anyhow (please prove me wrong).  There are certainly many
things to complain about the software, but it would be more productive
to complain to the vendor directly.

Todd.

--
Todd Bradley (extension AXE)         Disclaimers are for wimps who have
Supreme Ruler of The Galaxy          some sort of job security.

mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (06/06/91)

In <778@pvi.UUCP> todd@pvi.UUCP (Todd Bradley x293) writes:

>As far as the QPC Software bashing goes--I'm not sure it does any
>good to complain here, as I got the feeling that they aren't connected
>to the net anyhow (please prove me wrong).  There are certainly many
>things to complain about the software, but it would be more productive
>to complain to the vendor directly.

Agreed.  However, QPC *does* get wind of many Usenet discussions on
their products.  I've received mail from Pam Arnold at QPC Software
(76676,1420@compuserve.com) who has commented directly to me about
things said here regarding winQVT and QVTnet and about the CICA
archive generally.

--

michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu

eaton@eecs.ucdavis.edu (William Eaton) (06/18/91)

Which file do I have to edit to make winqvt look to COM2 at startup? I
just downloaded winqvt from cica and I have a terminal server plugged
into COM2.

I don't have any problems getting 'terminal' or 'wn100k' to fire up.

Bill Eaton
Insert Standard Disclaimer Here

oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (06/19/91)

In article <9196@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, eaton@eecs.ucdavis.edu (William Eaton) writes:
> Which file do I have to edit to make winqvt look to COM2 at startup? I
> just downloaded winqvt from cica and I have a terminal server plugged
> into COM2.
>
> I don't have any problems getting 'terminal' or 'wn100k' to fire up.

	There should be a file named default in there.  You need to use
	an editor (one of the ones supplied in Windows should work) to
	change com2 to com1.

  Sharon Lindsey O'Neil  	  "I could be happy/I could be quite naive/
  Bitnet: oneil@unomai1		   It's only me and my shadow/Happy in our
  Internet: oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu 	make believe/Soon." -- Tears for Fears