[comp.windows.ms] Windows Help colors

bushey@uvm.edu (Gary Bushey) (06/12/91)

When I use my windows help program, the keywords are displayed in green so that
I can not read them.  Does anyone know how to change them.  I went into the
colors in setup, but did not find anything.

tim@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Tim Lowery) (06/19/91)

In <1991Jun12.150413.1866@uvm.edu> bushey@uvm.edu (Gary Bushey) writes:

>When I use my windows help program, the keywords are displayed in green so that
>I can not read them.  Does anyone know how to change them.  I went into the
>colors in setup, but did not find anything.

Once upon a time I contacted Microsoft about this very issue.  After I
was finally able to make the tech support droid understand what I was
asking, and after he checked with several other people, he told me
that that color is currently hard-coded.  It is not changeable via
the control panel or by editing win.ini.  I never was able to convince
him that this would be a good feature.

I chose colors for my windows environment that are much easier on the eye
than any of the canned setups that come with Windows.  The only problem
was that the green help text was almost invisible.  This is a small
price to pay considering how infrequently I use help.  However, I still
think it would be nice (and more consistent) to allow the help
highlight color to be selectable by the user.  If anyone from Microsoft
is listening...  Hint, hint!

Regards

Tim
--
tim.lowery@SanDiego.NCR.COM

billw@halcyon.ogi.edu (06/19/91)

tim@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Tim Lowery) writes:

> >When I use my windows help program, the keywords are displayed in gre
> >I can not read them.  Does anyone know how to change them.  I went in
>
> that that color is currently hard-coded.  It is not changeable via
> the control panel or by editing win.ini.  I never was able to convince
> him that this would be a good feature.

But it IS possible to change the help colors.  Here are two lines from
my win.ini file:

    [Windows Help]
    Jumpcolor=0,0,255
    Popupcolor=0,0,255

These change the highlight color to the dark blue color that is very
easy to see against almost any text background color.  I believe this
is even documented in the Windows User Manual.

Enjoy.  ==Billw==

--
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA
                           PEP, V.32, V.42