[comp.windows.ms] Mac Word -> Word for Win

jka@tesla.ece.cmu.edu (Jay Keith Adams) (06/19/91)

Does anyone have any experience with editing Mac Word documents in
WFW?  If so, how well does it work?  Do you loose lots of formatting
info when transferring documents between Win Word and Mac Word.  I ask
because I'm thinking of buying WFW, and editing Mac Word documents is a
must.  I went to the campus computer store and tried to read a Mac
Word document into WFW.  WFW complained that it ran out of memory
while it was doing the conversion (is this going to be a problem).
Anyways, any tips would be appreciated.

BTW, if this is a FAQ, please excuse the bandwidth and point me to the
FAQ file.

- Jay

WKWINKEL@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de (O. Winkelhake) (06/19/91)

Hi,
I just asked an apple dealer about this problem. He admitted that the
conversion would ignore a lot of formatting features. His advice was,
only to switch between mac and win if the text is in an early stage and
not yet finally formatted.

Olaf

Olaf Winkelhake
Dept. of Economics
Chair of Political Economics
University of Passau, Germany
wkwinkel@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de

tchamberw@cc.curtin.edu.au (William Chamberlain) (06/20/91)

In article <JKA.91Jun18160352@tesla.ece.cmu.edu>, jka@tesla.ece.cmu.edu (Jay Keith Adams) writes:

> Does anyone have any experience with editing Mac Word documents in
> WFW?  If so, how well does it work?  Do you loose lots of formatting

I've only tried it a few times but the following problems seem to occur
every time;
1) Font information in the Mac version gets lost even if those fonts are
available in Windows (only exception I've found to this is when you use Times).
2) Graphics don't get converted.  Either WFW UAEs or runs into memory problems.
3) I have also had problems with a document which has lots of tables in it
(i.e. WFW UAEs).

Otherwise all the formatting like bolding etc, table of contents marks and
general section information seem to be retained.

William

||                ||  William Chamberlain, Masters student                 ||
||       _--_|\   ||   School of Electrical and Computer Engineering       ||
||      /      \  ||    Curtin University of Technology                    ||
||   -->\_.--._/  ||    Net: Chamberlain_WT@cc.curtin.edu.au               ||
|| Perth      v   ||   Fone: +61 9 351 7960  Fax: +61 9 351 2584           ||
||                ||  Snail: G.P.O. Box U 1987, Perth WA 6001, Australia   ||

armil@pdn.paradyne.com (Steve Armil) (06/20/91)

In article <JKA.91Jun18160352@tesla.ece.cmu.edu> jka@tesla.ece.cmu.edu (Jay Keith Adams) writes:

>Does anyone have any experience with editing Mac Word documents in
>WFW?  If so, how well does it work?  Do you loose lots of formatting
>info when transferring documents between Win Word and Mac Word.

I've been most successful using RTF format for the exchange.
Some of the formatting that _does_ port is:
	Outlines
	Tables
	Fonts (watch the names/mapping, ie, times maps to TmnRmn)
	Footers

>I went to the campus computer store and tried to read a Mac
>Word document into WFW.  WFW complained that it ran out of memory
>while it was doing the conversion (is this going to be a problem).

Files that import nicely in RTF format will lock my machine at about 30%
conversion if I use Mac format.  Maybe this is the same problem.

BTW, I'm the W4W user, the other guy is the Mac user.