[comp.windows.ms] HotKeys don't work in DOS windows!

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (06/18/91)

How come  hotkeys defined for Recorder don't workj when a DOS window
is active?  Is there any way to get them to work?  It's a bit of a
bum-biter to not be able to use a system-wide macro whenever a DOS
window is active...

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

ih@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Ian Heath) (06/19/91)

In <18274@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>How come  hotkeys defined for Recorder don't workj when a DOS window
>is active?  Is there any way to get them to work?  It's a bit of a
>bum-biter to not be able to use a system-wide macro whenever a DOS
>window is active...

	Blame Microsoft! When a DOS window is active ALL keys are sent
to it with the noteable exception of ALT+ESC, ALT+TAB & ALT+ENTER. I
suppose you'd get annoyed if you were using you're favourite
word-processor in a dos window and pressed ALT+SHIFT+Q to reformat
your text and another window popped up instead!

Another annoying feature is that if you activate a DOS window, you
lose the mouse UNTIL you left-click on something else (this is in
386Enh mode). Its a real bummer if you've got applications that use
the right mouse button (like I have).

Ian
--
Ian Heath,
email: ih@ecs.soton.ac.uk (BITNET) or ih@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)

billf@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bill Flynn) (06/20/91)

/ hpfcso:comp.windows.ms / ih@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Ian Heath) /  4:59 am  Jun 19, 1991 /
In <18274@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

>>How come  hotkeys defined for Recorder don't workj when a DOS window
>>is active?  Is there any way to get them to work?  It's a bit of a
>>bum-biter to not be able to use a system-wide macro whenever a DOS
>>window is active...
>
>	Blame Microsoft! When a DOS window is active ALL keys are sent
>to it with the noteable exception of ALT+ESC, ALT+TAB & ALT+ENTER.

Well, not quite.  By default Alt+Tab, Alt+Esc, Ctrl+Esc, PrtSc, Alt+PrtSc,
Alt+Enter, and Alt+Space are not sent to the DOS window, but this is easily
overridden in the Advanced screen of the PIF for DOS Prompt.

But on Jeff's original question I unfortunately have no answer.  But I
suppose a couple of things to check would be make sure you don't already
have the shortcut keys reserved in the DOS Prompt PIF or that you don't
have shortcut key checking turned off under Options in the Recorder.  The
latter isn't too likely since Recorder enables this whenever it starts up.
The former could be the problem.  This would prevent Recorder from sensing
the shortcut keys.

Bill...