[comp.windows.ms] Font Managers...

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (12/03/90)

 I am confused about which of the several font managers now coming on
the market to get. I am aware of the reviews in the two recent PC Magazine
issues but that hasnt helped with the decision despite the information.

 Our hardware is an AST 286 Premium with 2 meg of memory, mostly mapped
as expanded now but will be converting most to extended for windows soon.
HP Laserjet II printer, *no* LJ III upgrade and no Postscript cartridge
currently. We might get either a cartridge or a Laserjet III. (I know
there is a *big* price difference but there are other issues than print
quality/technology ... volume and convenience = number of machines.)

 We are using MS Windows 3.0, MS Excel for Windows, MS Word for Windows
and are getting new Formworx for Windows. (plus a few other minor but
rarely used and not print-critical programs). We still are an intensive
user of MS Word for DOS and will probably continue to do so because of
speed considerations with our hardware (both processor and printer).
Have ordered upgrade to 5.5 .

 Do not use cartridge fonts, have a somewhat extensive library of soft
fonts, including some from Softcraft and their Laserfonts program. We
also have their WYSIFONT program which made fonts for previous versions
of MS Windows (bitmapped) and have received an upgrade notice for the
MSW 3.0 compatible version - hence the decision point. Also have the
Bitstream package that was offered with MS Word (DOS) last upgrade: the
generator program plus Times and Helv outlines.

 Where do we go from here that will preserve our investment somewhat,
not *require* hardware investment now to be usable, provide the option
to upgrade the hardware later without losing font investment (not so
much the current as any new outline sets we get), provide the most
font selection for the buck (does the adobe cartridge plus ATM become
a factor here over multiple Bitstream Soft fonts later ?). Minor diffs
in font quality are not that important to us and we're really not into
extensive postscript graphics, or many graphics at all for that matter.

 I suppose one option is to temporize and get the WYSIFONT upgrade for
$35 and see which way we are going with hardware and what the world says
about Facelift, ATM, HP's offering (name?), etc. However, the initial
prices are not that different so that's not the criterion, it's the
long-term cost and effects of committing to a particular one that are
the main concern.

Please comment on all the above named (unnamed) packages. Thanks very much.

Jeff Sicherman
up the net without a .sig

fritsch@picasso.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec2.180307.24168@beach.csulb.edu>, sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:

>  I am confused about which of the several font managers now coming on
> the market to get. I am aware of the reviews in the two recent PC Magazine
> issues but that hasnt helped with the decision despite the information.

Zeonographics has just announced an upgrade to their Superprint Font Manager
that supports on-the-fly screen and printer scaling for HP printers (Laserjets
and Deskjets), IBM and Epson compatibles, and Canon LBJ printers. I have been
using a previous release that creates bitmapped fonts stored on disk and
can't wait for the new release.

Zenographics claims that their screen font rasterizer uses less memory than
either Facelift or ATM. I don't know how they will compare in terms of speed.

Superprint's biggest plus is that it uses almost anyones fonts! SP uses
licensed rasterizers from Adobe (ATM), Bitstream (SPEEDO and Fontware),
Agfa Compugraphic (Intellifont), The Company (Nimbus Q), and HP softfonts.
It won't, however, let you use cartridge-based fonts.

SP will be able to create screen and printer fonts from any of the outline
formats listed above. This covers just about every vendor's format. SP also
speeds up graphics output to supported printers and dramatically decreases
the time you must wait for printer output to be spooled by directly interpreting
GDI commands.

I have been extremely satisfied with SuperPrint thus far. I am now using
fonts from Bitstream, Adobe, Agfa Compugraphic and Nimbus Q all on the same
page! None of the other font engines can accomplish this feat. Thus, you're
not locked in to one specific vendor's font products.

  Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) (12/04/90)

I've got SuperPrint right now.  It's an older version, that doesn't
support on-the-fly font generation.  The bitmap font generation is less
than perfect, however.  It fares pretty badly with font sizes smaller than
18 point on my 72dpi screen - capital letters have different heights,
vertical strokes have inconsistant widths.  However, it's pretty good for
making the 180dpi fonts for my Epson LQ compatible.

Before buying any new font generation package (Bitstream, ATM, whatever),
I'd advise looking at its quality for the small font sizes.  That's where
hinting comes into play (and is why Times and Script and Modern look so
miserable at under 18 point).  I know ATM for the Mac (Oh, I said the M-word)
appears to have no problems in the 8-12 point range on the 72dpi Mac screen;
can anyone comment on ATM for Windows?

|   Randy Spangler                   |   Get your mind out of the gutter   |
|   rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu   |   you're blocking my periscope      |

a499@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (12/04/90)

ATM on my system makes small fonts just fine.  They look crisp, clean,
and very even...  I don't see any reason to buy anything but ATM...
But that's just my opinion! 8-)
Rob

s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Miramar [Eugene Mok]) (06/21/91)

What's a good font manager? I've heard of Adobe and Facelift but
I don't know which to get. Any opinions? I would like to see my fonts
nicer and smoother than they are right now. And does it slow the system
down much? I'm running Win3 on a 386-33c with 4 megs of RAM.

Also is there any way to change the fonts used when running a DOS app
in a window?

Thanks very much...

--
     | o o |    Eugene Mok  s907396@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au  (Melbourne OZ)