[comp.windows.ms] How can I intercept keystrokes to a Win3 app?

dhf@marie.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) (06/20/91)

.  I recently acquired a Hebrew font in Adobe Type 1 format. With ATM
in Ami Pro, it looks great on screen and on paper. Of course, Ami
doesn't know enough to advance right-to-left, so I have to hit
left-arrow after each character to put the cursar on the left. Setting
up a style with right-justify is no problem; however, I will obviously
have to forget about proper word-wrap. (How about it, Lotus?)
   The font is actually mapped three times into the ASCII code
sequence: once as CAPS with approximate phonetic equivalence (A = alef,
B = bet, etc.), once into lower-case so the key positions match the
standard Israeli keyboard, and once into high ASCII (codes 128&up). So
I realized, if I set caps-lock for the first mapping, all I need is
something that, if caps-lock is set, will intercept keystrokes and
retransmit each one with a following left-arrow. This will at least
make it possible to "type" right-to-left.
   The question is, what can I use to intercept the keystrokes? Will
a TSR work with a Windows app (not in a DOS window)? Actually, it
seems like the same procedure as remapping the keys to a Dvorak
layout, which seems like something that's been done (but in Windows?).
   Anyway, I offer this as the Windows puzzle of the week.
Constructive suggestions will be appreciated and reposted with thanks.

P.S. If anyone is interested in where I found the Hebrew font, I
ordered it from Kabbalah Software, 8 Price Drive, Edison, NJ 08817
(908/572-0891). They have 6 fonts available in Type 1, of which 2 are
(to my eye) suitable for general text. Price was $90 (steep, I know).
This is not intended as a commercial plug, so don't bother me with flames.

dhf@linus.mitre.org

mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun19.220653.14646@linus.mitre.org> dhf@marie.mitre.org (David H. Friedman) writes:
>.  I recently acquired a Hebrew font in Adobe Type 1 format. With ATM
>in Ami Pro, it looks great on screen and on paper. Of course, Ami
>doesn't know enough to advance right-to-left, so I have to hit
>
>P.S. If anyone is interested in where I found the Hebrew font, I
>ordered it from Kabbalah Software, 8 Price Drive, Edison, NJ 08817
>(908/572-0891). They have 6 fonts available in Type 1, of which 2 are
>(to my eye) suitable for general text. Price was $90 (steep, I know).
>This is not intended as a commercial plug, so don't bother me with flames.

No solution for his problem but a related bit.

At the recent West Coast Computer Faire in San Francisco there was a
company showing their fonts.  They had Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, and
(I think) Japanese.  I expressed interest in the Hebrew fonts and
he showed me the catalog with all the styles (modern, ...) and said
that it would be avaiable in August for ATM.  He demoed it with
Word Perfect (NOT for Windows) to show that it could handle the
right-to-left problem.

The company is DATA-CAL Corporation from Chandler, AZ (1-800-223-0123).

I have no connection with them and, in fact, have told you everything I
know.

--
Mike Lipsie
dosbears!mikel@pyramid.com