[comp.windows.ms] How to send modem init string when loading Windows ?

chrisg@olivej.ATC.Olivetti.Com (Christopher Granitz) (06/19/91)

     Greetings,

     When I run Windows Terminal on my 12 mhz 286, I always have to dial the
phone number twice if nothing else (like Prodigy) has used the modem first.
In other words, I boot up, load Windows, run Terminal, dial the phone number
and nothing happens. Then I cancel and dial again and it works just fine. The
first time that I dial I see the modem init string appear across the top of the
screen. Of course if I use something else that involves the modem before using
Terminal, everthing is fine since the other program sends an init string to
the modem.

     My question is, how can I send the init string to the modem when I load
Windows instead of having Terminal do it for me ? Is there someplace in the
.INI file that I can use to send the init string to the modem before using
Terminal ? Any advice welcomed.

     chrisg@olivej

billf@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bill Flynn) (06/20/91)

Chris,

There's a couple of ways you could do this.  You could do it at boot time using
MODE to set up the COM port and COPY to send the init string from a file to
the COM port.

The other way is to put the MODE and COPY into a file called WINSTART.BAT in
your windows directory.  Whenever you start Windows it looks for and executes
WINSTART.BAT.

Bill...

rani@barsoom.nhh.no (Ragnar Nielsen) (06/21/91)

billf@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Bill Flynn) writes:

>Chris,

>There's a couple of ways you could do this.  You could do it at boot time using
>MODE to set up the COM port and COPY to send the init string from a file to
>the COM port.

>The other way is to put the MODE and COPY into a file called WINSTART.BAT in
>your windows directory.  Whenever you start Windows it looks for and executes
>WINSTART.BAT.

>Bill...

- Or you could use one of the public domain programs floating around that
takes input from stdin, sends it to the modem port and echoes the result
codes back to stdout. This way you don't have to mess with the MODE
command.
Drop a note if you want a uuencoded version sent by mail.

ragnar nielsen
rani@barsoom.nhh.no
XBBB_RN@debet.nhh.no
rani@amanda.bbb.no		all of which should work.