[comp.windows.ms] Help! Word 4 Windows problem!

ssl@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM (SSL Guest User) (06/04/91)

Hello there.

I'm having just a god-awful time trying to get certain graphics
to look right in a document.

Specifically, i do a Alt+Print to copy a Window to the Clipboard.
I paste the image into Paintbrush.  I save the darned thing as a
.PCX file (WfW complains bitterly about inserting a .BMP file).
I insert the picture into my doc and it looks like hell.

The gray parts of the window (pushbuttons) are black.  You can barely
read anything.  Arghh.

I've got an HP laserjet II configured as my active printer.

System is 386 clone, VGA.

Please help if you can.  I'm starting to lose my self-confidence.

Love,
Thomas
email:thomas@hpssl40.mayfield.hp.com

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (06/07/91)

In article <6860002@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM> ssl@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM (SSL Guest User) writes:
>Hello there.
>
>I'm having just a god-awful time trying to get certain graphics
>to look right in a document.
>
>Specifically, i do a Alt+Print to copy a Window to the Clipboard.
>I paste the image into Paintbrush.  I save the darned thing as a
>.PCX file (WfW complains bitterly about inserting a .BMP file).
>I insert the picture into my doc and it looks like hell.
>
>The gray parts of the window (pushbuttons) are black.  You can barely
>read anything.  Arghh.

The solution is to toggle your video setup to VGAMono while copying the
bitmaps.  Run Setup.exe, select mono, do all your screen captures (if
you are using just clipboard, then save the clipboards to a file or
insert them in WfW;  if you are using ScrapBook+ just save them all).

Don't be concerned if they don't look just right when you paste them into
WfW when you're still in VGAMono.

Then reset to normal color VGA and load WinWord.  Paste what you haven't.

Note:  WfW 1.0 and 1.1 had some trouble with sizing (pictures pasted needed
some tweaking).

Version 1.1a seems to have improved on this, but as I said they may not look
right when first pasted in VGAMono...

larry@palan.uucp (Larry Strickland) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.050032.7665@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) writes:
>In article <6860002@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM> ssl@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM (SSL Guest User) writes:
>>Hello there.
>>
>>I'm having just a god-awful time trying to get certain graphics
>>to look right in a document.

>The solution is to toggle your video setup to VGAMono while copying the
>bitmaps...

Another possibility which has worked well for me is to use the Shareware
program cap (available through many BBS's and, I think, in the Simtel archives)
This loads as a regular Windows program and takes over the keys Alt-F7, Alt-F8,
Alt-F9 and Alt-F10 (or something very similar).

Depending upon which key you hit, you copy either the current window or the
entire screen to the clipboard in your choice of glorious B&W or Color.  I've
used this technique, then went to Paintbrush and saved as a PCX file while in
color mode and the results looked _good_, I won't say great, when pasted back
into WfW.

Because of the project I was working on, we converted the dumps to MacPaint
format, copied them to a Mac and then pasted into Mac Word.  They also looked
_good_, again not great, this way.  Noone has complained, but frankly I'd
prefer to be able to get EPS rendering.

-l

(I can post/(maybe)mail cap if needed)

kpleas@milton.u.washington.edu (Keith Pleas) (06/09/91)

Re: Using B&W images in WFW

I've had pretty good success using Logitech's ANSEL program to convert
color to B&W images under Windows.  In particular, I've captured the
screen using various tools like SNAP and SNAG and then importing the
.BMP into ANSEL where they can be manipulated in a variety of ways.
For instance, you can save each image with a configurable border and,
if you're doing screen captures of DOS screens in '386 Enhanced mode
(where the B&W version would be white text on a black background),
you can get a NEGATIVE image.  You can also lighten / darken the overall
values, et cetera.

FWIW, ANSEL cost me $29 for my (old) ScanMan scanner, and it's bundled
with their ScanMan256; I don't know the retail cost.

carl@p4tustin.UUCP (Carl W. Bergerson) (06/18/91)

ssl@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM (SSL Guest User) writes:
> Hello there.
>
> I'm having just a god-awful time trying to get certain graphics
> to look right in a document.
>
> Specifically, i do a Alt+Print to copy a Window to the Clipboard.
> I paste the image into Paintbrush.  I save the darned thing as a
> .PCX file (WfW complains bitterly about inserting a .BMP file).
> I insert the picture into my doc and it looks like hell.
>
> The gray parts of the window (pushbuttons) are black.  You can barely
> read anything.  Arghh.
> . . .

First the apology, this message was posted 3 June but didn't arrive at our
site until today (18 June). So at the risk of being the nth reply:

1. Configure your windows display device to VGA Monochrome.
   (You are using VGA, aren't you?)

2. Restart Windows for the change to be effective.

3. tartStart your graphics application.

4. Use Print Screen to transfer your graphics to the Clipboard or
   Alt + Print Screen (? manuals are at home) to transfer the active
   window to the Clipboard.

5. Start w4w and position the insert point where you want the graphics.

6. Paste the graphics from the Clipboard into your document.

7. Crop/Scale as necessary.

8. Print away.

I think you'll be pleased with the result.

	Carl

BTW - you really do need VGA for the best results.

BTW 2 - you can reconfigure to VGA (color) after you paste the images
		into the w4w document and save it without loosing any of the
		detail.
--
Carl Bergerson                                           uunet!p4tustin!carl
Point 4 Data Corporation                                     carl@point4.com

bjornr@edb.tih.no (Bjoern Henry Rosvoll) (06/20/91)

ssl@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM (SSL Guest User) writes:
> Hello there.
>
> I'm having just a god-awful time trying to get certain graphics
> to look right in a document.
>
> Specifically, i do a Alt+Print to copy a Window to the Clipboard.
> I paste the image into Paintbrush.  I save the darned thing as a
> .PCX file (WfW complains bitterly about inserting a .BMP file).
> I insert the picture into my doc and it looks like hell.
>
> The gray parts of the window (pushbuttons) are black.  You can barely
> read anything.  Arghh.
> . . .
I had the same problem using the clipboard for windows. To maintain
graycolors in these windows you can:

1. Use TIFFANY, a graphic grabber. 2.x version works fine
2. Upgrade your Word. I tried version 1.1a and in this version
   pcx-pictures in 256 colors appears as they should.

Bjorn, from cold Norway
	| Bjorn Rosvoll 	Internet: bjornr@edb.tih.no |
	| TISIP - Trondheim - Norway 			    |

djnelso@PacBell.COM (David J. Nelson) (06/21/91)

In article <u16qija1dC@humpty.edb.tih.no> bjornr@edb.tih.no (Bjoern Henry Rosvoll) writes:
>ssl@hpkslx.mayfield.HP.COM (SSL Guest User) writes:
>> Hello there.
>>
>> I'm having just a god-awful time trying to get certain graphics
>> to look right in a document.
>>
>> Specifically, i do a Alt+Print to copy a Window to the Clipboard.
>> I paste the image into Paintbrush.  I save the darned thing as a
>> .PCX file (WfW complains bitterly about inserting a .BMP file).
>> I insert the picture into my doc and it looks like hell.
>>
>> The gray parts of the window (pushbuttons) are black.  You can barely
>> read anything.  Arghh.

I assume that you are trying to print this document in W4W. I have been
preparing some Lesson Material on Windows using W4W. If I need the whole
screen, use print-screen, If you only need the active window, use
alt-print-screen. I can then put these straight into the W4W document with
no problem. On the creen they are still in color.

When I initially printed it to a LJIII, the buttons came out white with
black text. I also went into the palette and changed a few of the colors
for the menu bar and pull down menu to get better seperation. I have just
recently upgraded to a new LJIII driver for Windows and the grey now prints
as grey.

I have also put these clipping into paintbrush with no problem either. What
you may have to do sometimes is to adjust the palete to get better
seperation between colors that may be the same brightness, but different
colors. Example, red and green are different in color but can be the same
brightness and merge together when converted to B&W. Also you might try
setting the palette to monochrome if you will need to print.

Dave Nelson