[comp.windows.ms] TOC problem in W4W

bjornr@edb.tih.no (Bjoern Henry Rosvoll) (06/20/91)

Hello

I have a problem using Word 4 Windows. When I'm inserting a
Table of Contents, and I've used Auto No. on my headings
I don't get the chapter numbers in the table of contents.
It appears only with the chapter heading text.

I've read all documentation without luck, and I can't be
the first one having these problem!?!?!

Bjorn from Trondheim Norway
	| Bjorn Rosvoll 	Internet: bjornr@edb.tih.no |
	| TISIP - Trondheim - Norway 			    |

armil@pdn.paradyne.com (Steve Armil) (06/21/91)

In article <3gfjg5284C@humpty.edb.tih.no> bjornr@edb.tih.no writes:
>I have a problem using Word 4 Windows. When I'm inserting a
>Table of Contents, and I've used Auto No. on my headings
>I don't get the chapter numbers in the table of contents.
>It appears only with the chapter heading text.

This is an admitted bug.

The recommended workaround is:
	- go to Outline View
	- highlight the TOC
	- Util Renumber Manual (Legal)

The key here is the manual renumbering of the TOC field.
This procedure works, but is quirky, ie, I can't get it to work right
all the time.