[comp.windows.ms] 386 Enhanced mode + DOS5 SMARTDRV = problem

cm@jet.uk (colin manning) (06/17/91)

Installed DOS 5 the other day. Works OK, except that the new
smartdrv included with DOS 5 does not work on my system with
windows in 386 enhanced mode. As soon as you try to load an
application, the system dies. I am left with an hourglass cursor,
and no application. I can move the hourglass, so its not actually
crashed, just stuck somewhere.

Changing back to the smartdrv included with windows, and things
then work correctly under DOS 5.

Any ideas ?

BTW drive is a SCSI on 1542b controller, not a normal IDE/MFM
drive.

--
- Colin Manning, cm@jet.uk
- Disclaimer: Please note that the above is a personal view and should not

wwitt@adara.intel.com (Wolf Witt) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun17.115544.11351@jet.uk> cm@jet.uk (colin manning) writes:
>Installed DOS 5 the other day. Works OK, except that the new
>smartdrv included with DOS 5 does not work on my system with
>windows in 386 enhanced mode. As soon as you try to load an
>application, the system dies. I am left with an hourglass cursor,
>and no application. I can move the hourglass, so its not actually
>crashed, just stuck somewhere.
>
>Changing back to the smartdrv included with windows, and things
>then work correctly under DOS 5.
>
>Any ideas ?
>
>BTW drive is a SCSI on 1542b controller, not a normal IDE/MFM
>drive.

In my machine I have both, an MFM disk hanging off a WD-1006 and a SCSI
disk with an Adaptek 1542A (earlier version of the 1542B). After getting
DOS 5, I switched to the new SmartDrive that came with it and everything
still works fine. I also run Windows in 386 enhanced mode.

Are you loading SmartDrive high? I have played around a bit and discovered
that the SmartDrive that came with DOS 5 lets itself be loaded high, but
then Windows doesn't start. I would get the opening screen, but then find
myself back at the DOS prompt. If I load SmartDrive in conventional memory,
everything is fine. Note that I'm using QEMM 5.11 and not DOS 5's built in
features to load stuff into high RAM.

Other people have apparently been successful running SmartDrive in high RAM
with Windows. Perhaps there are some system dependent quirks of SmartDrive.
Incidentally, the original version of SmartDrive that came with Windows
would lock up my machine at boot time if I tried loading SmartDrive high.

Wolf

=> Wolf Witt, Design Engineer     <=> You say there is a bug in this chip?   <=
=> i860 Focus Group, Intel Corp.  <=> No, no, you don't understand...        <=
=> wwitt@smdvx1.intel.com         <=> This is a feature!                     <=
=> Intel knows nothing about what I say or do, but they pay me anyway.       <=

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/22/91)

In article <4772@inews.intel.com> wwitt@adara.UUCP (Wolf Witt) writes:
>In article <1991Jun17.115544.11351@jet.uk> cm@jet.uk (colin manning) writes:
>>Installed DOS 5 the other day. Works OK, except that the new
>>smartdrv included with DOS 5 does not work on my system with
>>windows in 386 enhanced mode. As soon as you try to load an
>>application, the system dies. I am left with an hourglass cursor,
>>and no application. I can move the hourglass, so its not actually
>>crashed, just stuck somewhere.
>>
>>Changing back to the smartdrv included with windows, and things
>>then work correctly under DOS 5.
>>
>>Any ideas ?
>>
>>BTW drive is a SCSI on 1542b controller, not a normal IDE/MFM
>>drive.
>
>In my machine I have both, an MFM disk hanging off a WD-1006 and a SCSI
>disk with an Adaptek 1542A (earlier version of the 1542B). After getting
>DOS 5, I switched to the new SmartDrive that came with it and everything
>still works fine. I also run Windows in 386 enhanced mode.
>
>Are you loading SmartDrive high? I have played around a bit and discovered
>that the SmartDrive that came with DOS 5 lets itself be loaded high, but
>then Windows doesn't start. I would get the opening screen, but then find
>myself back at the DOS prompt. If I load SmartDrive in conventional memory,
>everything is fine. Note that I'm using QEMM 5.11 and not DOS 5's built in
>features to load stuff into high RAM.
>
>Other people have apparently been successful running SmartDrive in high RAM
>with Windows. Perhaps there are some system dependent quirks of SmartDrive.
>Incidentally, the original version of SmartDrive that came with Windows
>would lock up my machine at boot time if I tried loading SmartDrive high.

In my experience with an AHA1542B, QEMM, disk cache loaded hi (qemm, hyperdisk)
DON'T DO IT. On my system, it completely trashes the FAT. I think you need
their (Adaptec) driver to do this. Loading the cache into low memory is OK. It
is also possible that large partitions are more seriously affected. I haven't
tried it with 32Mb ones (I have a 307Mb SCSI disk, partitioned as 287 and 20).

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254