[comp.windows.ms] Dos 5.0 and Windows 3.0

DON.RIVARD@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Don Rivard) (06/21/91)

The problem with windows finding DOS APPS after loading DOS 5.0 is that
DOS 5.0 changes the config.sys to files=10. Try putting files=20 and your
problem should go away. This is what I found on my PC.

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (06/22/91)

DON.RIVARD@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Don Rivard) writes:

>The problem with windows finding DOS APPS after loading DOS 5.0 is that
>DOS 5.0 changes the config.sys to files=10. Try putting files=20 and your
>problem should go away. This is what I found on my PC.

On my system I was running with files=40 with Windows 3 when I installed
MS-DOS 5; the installation procedure did not change the value.  You say
that the DOS installation program "...changes the config.sys to files=10".
What was it before you did the install?

In any case, the Windows manual recommends files=30 as the minimum for
running Windows.  The number should be increased to reflect any handles
used by TSRs or applications.

Joe Morris

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/22/91)

In my case, I installed dos to floppy and the boot config.sys was not
available to the install program  (which was being executed from the
boot drive).
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

I voted for Bush once.  As it's turning out, once was once too often.