[comp.windows.ms] Windows On a Network...

einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) (06/22/91)

My company is very interested in installing one copy of windows
on a Novell network.  I thought I remebered readin something
in here about the regular windows package doubling as a network
license.  Do I have this straight?

Even if I don't, we have bought enough copies of windows 3.0
such that we could make it available on the net to only the
number of people actually have the licenses.

Here's my real question:

Is there a way of installing windows such that each person could
have their own particular setup (.ini files, device drivers,etc)
in their own personl directory space and then have the three different
versions (or maybe just standard mode and 386enh mode) avaiable in
two different directories being shared by all?  Don't worry about
whether we have 386's or 486's-- that's all we have.

So, can this be done?  Has anyone done it?

Emc2

Joe Sample - University of Merryland, College Park
jsample@wam.umd.edu (This is a sample signature file)

briang@deadzone.uucp (Brian Greenberg) (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun22.154533.9461@wam.umd.edu> einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) writes:

>Is there a way of installing windows such that each person could
>have their own particular setup (.ini files, device drivers,etc)
>in their own personl directory space and then have the three different
>versions (or maybe just standard mode and 386enh mode) avaiable in
>two different directories being shared by all?  Don't worry about
>whether we have 386's or 486's-- that's all we have.
>
>So, can this be done?  Has anyone done it?
>
>Emc2

Yes, it can be done.  Check the manual for installing Windows on the network.
It's all in there.  If I remember correctly (it was a year ago since I did it),
you copy every file from every disk onto your Novell server, and then you have
to install a small portion of Windows on each user's machine.  I believe when
you begin, it asks you what kind of network you're using (at the same time it
asks for screen type, mouse type, etc.).  If you specify a Novell network, it
will only install the .ini files and whatever else is specific to that user.
The rest of windows runs off of the server.

SIDE POINT:  I also seem to remember hitting an error when running off of the
server.  I forget what it said, but I think it only allowed Windows to run in
standard mode.  We called Micosoft, who told us to call Novell, who told us to
donwload a patch for the bug from Compuserve.  As I said, this was a year ago
now, so they may have solved the problem by now (let's hope!).  Otherwise,
call Novell and I'm sure they can help you.

Hope I helped,
 _                __
]_)    .         ]         briang%deadzone@Princeton.EDU      <\___...____
]_) ]~ ] C\ ]\)  ]__].  "I don't know why I go to extremes"   </ (_III_) ~
                                                   - B. Joel

WKWINKEL@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de (O. Winkelhake) (06/24/91)

Hi,
the people that run our novell net at my site told me, you'd have to
buy as many licences as there are PC's in your network it you want
to install it (legally) on a LAN. (strange licence agreement)
To count the current number of accesses to the program and limit it to
the number of licences would not be legal.

If I am (better: our netware managers) are talking nonsense, please let
me know.

Olaf Winkelhake

-------------------
Olaf Winkelhake
Dept. of  Economics
University of Passau, Germany
wkwinkel@ibm.rz.uni-passau

mce3p@virginia.edu (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun22.154533.9461@wam.umd.edu> einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) writes:
>My company is very interested in installing one copy of windows
>on a Novell network.  I thought I remebered readin something
>in here about the regular windows package doubling as a network
>license.  Do I have this straight?
>
>Even if I don't, we have bought enough copies of windows 3.0
>such that we could make it available on the net to only the
>number of people actually have the licenses.
>
>Here's my real question:
>
>Is there a way of installing windows such that each person could
>have their own particular setup (.ini files, device drivers,etc)
>in their own personl directory space and then have the three different
>versions (or maybe just standard mode and 386enh mode) avaiable in
>two different directories being shared by all?  Don't worry about
>whether we have 386's or 486's-- that's all we have.
>
>So, can this be done?  Has anyone done it?
>
>Emc2
>

>--
>Joe Sample - University of Merryland, College Park
>jsample@wam.umd.edu (This is a sample signature file)

We have Win3 installed on an IBM LAN Server Version 1.3 LAN.  Read the
section in the manual (Chapter 14) concerning network installation.  Each
user can install windows to any directory on the network, and start
windows from there for each different configuration.  To install from
a network, you type "setup /n," which copies only the bare minimum to the
current network drive.  You can then edit the .INI files to achieve the
configuration you need.  Hope this helps!

Chris Exley
Department of Human Resources
University of Virginia

chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary W. Chapman,WWH 318,212-998-3045,718-499-7815) (06/25/91)

Re: windows on a network...

Since Microsoft seems to have recently moved to a "concurrent user"
model of software licensing, one should own as many copies of windows
as there can be simultaneous users.  I am assuming that their new
policy applies not just to their applications, but also to Windows,
which should be confirmed...

- Gary Chapman, NYU