[comp.windows.ms] PhotoShop for WIndows

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (06/22/91)

Can anyone shed any light on a rumour I heard about a WIndows
version of Adobe Photoshop? This would be great.

tj

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun21.212534.6319@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>Can anyone shed any light on a rumour I heard about a WIndows
>version of Adobe Photoshop? This would be great.
>
>tj

I would tend to doubt it due to the poor video support in the IBM world
now.  Photoshop is most valuable with a 24 Bit adapter and I don't see many
of these with windows drivers that WORK in the IBM world yet.  They
probably will be quite a few soon.

Chris

--
Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (06/25/91)

>I would tend to doubt it due to the poor video support in the IBM world
>now.  Photoshop is most valuable with a 24 Bit adapter and I don't see many
>of these with windows drivers that WORK in the IBM world yet.  They
>probably will be quite a few soon.

WHile 24 bit sure makes it nice, 256 works well and I bet there are a lot
more PC's with 256 colour drivers for their cheap PC's than there are
Mac II class machines with colour monitors around. Windows 3.0 has
opened the door for products like PhotoShop. I just want to know
when Adobe is going to discover that the door is not locked!

tj

dre@sequoia.cray.com (Dennis Ellis) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.162051.6860@serval.net.wsu.edu> ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) writes:
>In article <1991Jun21.212534.6319@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>>Can anyone shed any light on a rumour I heard about a WIndows
>>version of Adobe Photoshop? This would be great.

  It's not Adobe PhotoShop per se. It's a clone by a company called U-something
and is called PhotoStyler. It runs under windows and is supposed to provide
many (all??) the features of PhotoShop. I THINK I read somewhere that Aldus (?)
had acquired marketing rights.

  I'm not so sure what 24-bit has to do with it. PhotoShop runs (and looks)
great on a Mac with an 8-bit card.
 IMHO (of course).

* Dennis Ellis (dre@sequoia.cray.com) *                                       *
* Cray Research, Inc.                 *                                       *
* Eagan, MN 55121                     * All the normal stuff about opinions.. *

thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (06/25/91)

In article <160255.24418@timbuk.cray.com> dre@sequoia.cray.com (Dennis Ellis) writes:
>In article <1991Jun24.162051.6860@serval.net.wsu.edu> ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun21.212534.6319@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>>>Can anyone shed any light on a rumour I heard about a WIndows
>>>version of Adobe Photoshop? This would be great.
>>>
>  It's not Adobe PhotoShop per se. It's a clone by a company called U-something
>and is called PhotoStyler. It runs under windows and is supposed to provide
>many (all??) the features of PhotoShop. I THINK I read somewhere that Aldus (?)
>had acquired marketing rights.
>
>  I'm not so sure what 24-bit has to do with it. PhotoShop runs (and looks)
>great on a Mac with an 8-bit card.
> IMHO (of course).
>

>--
>* Dennis Ellis (dre@sequoia.cray.com) *                                       *
>* Cray Research, Inc.                 *                                       *
>* Eagan, MN 55121                     * All the normal stuff about opinions.. *

I recently received a copy of PhotoStyler with my Microtec 300Z scanner.
The software works very nicely AS FAR AS I CAN TELL WITHOUT A MANUAL.
Yes, they shipped it without the manual. When you register the software,
they say they will send you the manual, but I have had the scanner for a
while and still have no manual so...

At any rate, reviews in Publish magazine and other places compare it
favorably to Photoshop. I don't have access to Photoshop to compare, but
Photostyler runs very nice on my 486/33 (8 meg ram, 330meg ESDI) and the
color editing is very nice. I am using a Tseng 4000 (STB ERGO) card and
have read that if I install the Sierra DAC, I can get 16bit color which
goes a long way towards the 24bit color "required" by photoshop. I have
been informed that CorelDraw and Photostyler both support 24bit color.

I will make efforts this week to get the new DAC and will report back in
a couple weeks if I have succeeded in 16bit color editing...

--
Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842