[comp.windows.ms] <None>

acook@athena.mit.edu (Andrew R Cook) (09/01/90)

Subject:File indirection
Sender: daemon@athena.mit.edu (Mr Background)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 90 18:49:44 GMT

Has anyone tried to run a dos program under windows and supply any input for
it by using indirection ?  Ie:
	progm < cmds
where cmds is a file that contains the resonses to inputs asked for by progm ?
I have tried doing it by using the run command, and by putting stuff in a PIF
file, but neither technique seems to work.  Any Windows hackers know a way to
do this?  Is it even possible ?

Thanks -   Andy Cook

butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) (10/11/90)

	I have just uploaded a new version of Wincomm to cica.cica.indiana.edu.
It has bug fixes to many of the bugs that have been reported.  If any of you
who reported bugs to me still see them, please email and let me know.  The new
file was uploaded on the 11th and is 503848 bytes long.  For those of you who
haven't done it before, get the wincomm.txt file also and read it before
unzipping your file.  It will give instructions on how to unzip it in such a
way as to create an installation disk.  This will help get things organized
for you.

	Let me know,
	(Nicely, please)

	Butch

mtidgewell@eagle.wesleyan.edu (11/02/90)

I'm having trouble running winqvt.  I can't link up to a host.  I think my
trouble is that I have to go through a bridge.  I was able to ftp to it from
another node that was on the same side of the bridge.  I'm able to use telnet
to talk through the bridge.  I think my promblem is in the setup file.

This is what is in my config.tel

name = bridge hostip=129.133.18.1 gateway=1
name = vax hostip=129.133.11.10 nameserver=1
name = prophet hostip=129.133.20.13 nameserver=2

Does anyone know how this should look in winqvt?
name = session
host = ?
host_ip = ?
gateway = ?
nameserver = ?

Thanks ahead of time.
			Matt
			MTIDGEWELL@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

ineichen@sc2a.unige.ch (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov2.053716.17719@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, fong@ksuvax1 (Eric Fong) writes:
> Hi,
> 	This problem happen to me recently, maybe someone can help me
> out.  When I use WinQVT or use Procomm (running as non-Window application)
> or even Terminal, any communication program inside Windows, the machine
> will sooner or later reboot itself.  It didn't happen to me before, now
> it happened.  I heard someone mention about a virus which reboots the
> PC at arbitrary time before. I wonder if this has happened to anyone
> in the netland,  if so, what is the reason behind this problem.  Thanks
> in advance.

I had the same problem with a Olivetti M28. The reboot happens one or twice
a day in windows 3.0, Quick pascal etc... I scanned the disk with virscan
but apparently, there is no viruses. I have the machine since 4 years,
and the reboot problem appeared two or three weeks ago.

Thanks for help !

pierre

INEICHEN@UGSC2A.UNIGE.CH

gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) (11/08/90)

 GMT
Subject: Re: Changing colors in MS WfW, Windows 3.0
The wretched color is probably a light blue, right?
Well, aside from the fact that I like the color, if you would
read, um, winini2.txt, you'd find a section on colors.  It would
describe a few ini color options that you can't change from the
control panel.  One is the highlight color, which exists only to
make the video7 driver look different :^). The others are the button
colors, which exist only to make EGA screens look non-3D and boring looking.
So change your highlight color to something you like better.
------
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

jmerrill@fenris.claremont.edu (jmerrill) (11/09/90)

>There have been several postings reporting problems with SCSI drives.
>I just want to point out that I use the Seagate SCSI controller ($59 from JDR)
>that works fine with windows (only tested in Std. Mode).  It has many
>limitations, i.e. you can only have one other MFM drive in the system, etc.
>Apparently it makes the SCSI interface mimic an MFM controller.  But
>it does work fine on my DOS formatted 48 meg seagate drive, and
>doesn't need any drivers.  Buying a slow disk controller (it's only 8
>bits) is not a very useful solution to solving hard disk problems, but
>I thought I should mention it.

When I first started using Windows 3, I had my SCSI drive running off
a Seagate ST02 adapter, and it crashed my system every 5-10 minutes.
This got to be very annoying, so I upgraded to an Adaptec 1542A.  That
fixed my problem, but now I can't run QEMM with Win3 enhanced mode.
Perhaps someone at Quarterdeck or Adaptec will fix this soon...

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

kslee@athena.mit.edu (Kenneth S. Lee) (11/10/90)

Hi, there.  I just installed a bunch of .fon files from cica, but
I can't seem to access them through WFW 1.0.  Even when I type
the name of the fonts into the font name area, I don't get the
correct font.

Any ideas?

Please e-mail to kslee@athena.mit.edu

Thanks.

gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) (11/22/90)

 GMT
Subject: Re: SCSI drives with WIN3
I have a computer with an 8 bit bus, and I i've used both the
segate SCSI controller and the future domain controller, and I
can't say I'd recommend either.  The segate SCSI works fine if
you only have one other MFM/RLL hard disk.  Since I had two MFM
disks, I had to get the future domain controller (the only other
8 bit controller I know) which has a driver that lets the SCSI
disks run as drive e:.  The problem is that the driver installs
the SCSI disks as block devices, rather than installing the disks
on the int13 chain.  Since smartdrv and hyperdsk only cache int13
devices, my SCSI disk just doesn't get cached, which is really bad
if you've got an 8 bit bus (I've got an Intel Inboard386/PC card).
Overall, it looks like the Adaptec controller is going to be a standard.
--
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) (11/27/90)

 GMT
Subject: Re: fish3 eats memory (Does it?)
In article <1990Nov25.170043.4312@athena.mit.edu>, shang@athena.mit.edu
(T. Shang) writes:
|> I recently found that the window3 version of FISH eats memory. Here
is what
|> happened.
|> "Open and close" FISH icon will reduce the amount of memory reported
by
|> program manager considerably. In fact if I do enough (5) open and
close
|> operations, the system hangs up.
|> I got this program from cica and I am running windows on 80286
processor with
|> 2 MB of memory.
|> Am I wrong?

Actually, I don't think FISH releases any of the things it allocates.
I have 3meg of memory, so I didn't notice the memory being eaten from
running FISH, but I'm quite sure that FISH didn't release a display
context when exiting, causing dialog boxes to only partially appear.
I wrote a DDE control window that let you move the DDE submarine around
and fire at the fish using a video game direction button interface,
but never disributed it because of the stupid problems that FISH had.
I wish someone would either post the code or fix it to free up
resources
on exit.
--
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

a_omari@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (11/30/90)

I am running windows in extended moe with an EIZO MDB07 vga board.  My question
is how do I run windows in 256 color mode with the 256 colors available
on the board being displayed on the screen ?

arshad

cadp38@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (12/04/90)

I recently installed Windows 3 on a 386-SX, with a Morse colour monitor,
and (S)VGA card.

Since I installed it, strangethings have happened, and I wondered if they are
as a direct result of installing windows, and if anyone else has suffered
from them.

Some programs (mostly games I confess, but not all) seem to have some problems
with their displays, ie title screens etc are all screwed up (flashing colours,
only in 4 colours etc) Some progs dont work at all anymore (eg Accolade Grand
Prix).

I tried re-installing windows (very carefully!) but to no avail. I also tried
installing the Windows driver that comes with the graphics card, but Windows
wont accept it.

Any Suggestions?

Alan Arthur

aarthur@uk.ac.strath.cs
cadp38@uk.ac.strath.vaxe

gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) (12/11/90)

 GMT
Subject: Re: Advent Calendar posted to cica
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) writes:
|> > I've posted an Advent calendar for Win3.0 to cica for your
|> Has anyone tried running Advent?  I've been trying to run it, but I
get the
|> error: <NilObject> undefined (or something like that.)  The problem
doesn't
|> allow me to get out of Windows other than re-booting the system.
|> --
Please e-mail all bug reports to me at gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu.
The <NilObjct> error probably means the program couldn't load a bitmap,
either because there wasn't enough ram (It works fine for me with 1 meg
of free ram), or because it couldn't fine one of the files (try running
the program from the same directory as the files).  Sorry for the
gracelessness of the error, it was a quick project and I didn't have
time
to write all the error handlers.
Were you running in Standard mode?
I guess we should continue this by e-mail.
--
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

dwagner@sdd.hp.com (Dave Wagner) (01/15/91)

Subject:win.ini
Keywords:hpib
Date: Tue Jan 15 05:18:14 1991 GMT

	Has anyone been able to redefine win.ini printer
	area correctly so that win3 "sees" hpib mode on
	lpt2.

lupper@informatik.uni-ulm.de (Alfred Lupper) (02/06/91)

Subject:News reader for MS Windows 3.0 wanted!!!

Who knows about news readers for MS Windows 3.0.
Answers should include experiences with the news reader
and where I can get it.

Thanks in advance

A. Lupper
University of Ulm, Germany

--
A. Lupper

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb6.093718.326@informatik.uni-ulm.de> lupper@informatik.uni-ulm.de (Alfred Lupper) writes:
>Subject:News reader for MS Windows 3.0 wanted!!!
>
>Who knows about news readers for MS Windows 3.0.
>Answers should include experiences with the news reader
>and where I can get it.

If you have an accessible NNTP server, I have a reader/poster that
will work in Windows. It is not however a Windows program, so it will
run in a window only in 386 enhanced mode. It will be ready for
the world to see Real Soon Now.

Doug McDonald (mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)

gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) (02/08/91)

 GMT
Subject: Re: Windows installation disk compression?
In article <1991Feb7.192957.7986@sunee.waterloo.edu>,
gpsteffl@sunee.waterloo.edu (Glenn Patrick Steffler) writes:

|> Well, I suppose it might look cheap, but let he who hast not picked
|> quarter from the street cast the first flame. :-)

I never pick up coins from the street.  I thought of the
idea of spreading contact poison (or at least something nastly
like poison ivy juice) on quarters and dropping them all around.
If I can think of it, someone else who's warped enough to do
it can also.  By the way, always wipe off the top of you
soda cans as well. really.

Anyways, seeing as there is a DLL for the expand program
(what a name -- sure have creative people at Msoft, eh?)
someone should write a windows utility to call it.

I've zipped the windows files when backing stuff up to
tape, and there wasn't hardly any additional compression
at all. (it just kept all the files together in a checksumed
file).

--
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) (02/13/91)

 GMT
Subject: Re: Windows and COM3

In article <1991Feb12.190322.22184@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>,
barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) writes:
|> I have been following the discussion on the use of COM3 and COM4
with
|> applications in Windows.  Now, can the mouse be placed on COM3 so
that a
|> modem can go on COM1?  I have set up my PC with a modem on COM1, the
mouse
|> (Microsoft) on COM3, and COM2 missing (it is a bizarre serial card).
Some
|> applications work fine (Shanghai, for instance) with the mouse, and
the modem
|> appears fine on COM1 now, but Windows will not recognise the mouse.
Neither
|> will my own programs which use the mouse (under DOS, not Windows).  I
would
|> have thought that MOUSE.COM goes looking for the mouse on all of the
COMx
|> ports, then installs itself as INT 33 so that Windows doesn't have to
worry
|> about where the mouse really is.  Is it perhaps running into trouble
with
|> the missing COM2?  If so, how do I fix this?
|>
|> Barry

Two problems:
1) The missing COM2 port.  Check the FAQ sheet.  I remember hearing
that missing com ports might prevent higher ports from showing up.
If it is actually a problem, I've seen way to fix it.

2) Get a better bus.  COM1 and COM3 share the same interrupt
level.  This doesn't work very well on the normal AT ISA bus.
The big adavantage of EISA and microchannel are , IMHO, the hardware
support to let you share interrupt levels.

--
Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu

noyce@incstar.uucp (02/22/91)

Just a general question - It appears that if you work in Win 3.0 for
a long time, doing multiple document open/close, either in Excel 2.1d
or Word 4 Windows, that eventually, memory gets so fragmented, that
Win 3.0 appears to 'run out' of memory.  At this point,  I have found
that the only way to re-coupe this memory, is to exit Win 3.0 to the
C:> prompt, then re-enter Windows.  While this isn't a major problem,
it is annoying, since I really don't think I should have to monitor
memory useage myself.  After All, Win 3.0 should manage this, and
should allow for the re-allocation of memory, maybe even do periodic
memory re-calibration..

Anyone else experience this problem?

It happens accross PCs, regardless of memory/hardware configuration

Ideas and suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanx in advance.

-Tim Noyce

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) (02/23/91)

In article <2606.27c462bf@incstar.uucp> noyce@incstar.uucp writes:
>Just a general question - It appears that if you work in Win 3.0 for
>a long time, doing multiple document open/close, either in Excel 2.1d
>or Word 4 Windows, that eventually, memory gets so fragmented, that
>Win 3.0 appears to 'run out' of memory.  At this point,  I have found
>that the only way to re-coupe this memory, is to exit Win 3.0 to the
>C:> prompt, then re-enter Windows.  While this isn't a major problem,
>it is annoying, since I really don't think I should have to monitor
>memory useage myself.  After All, Win 3.0 should manage this, and
>should allow for the re-allocation of memory, maybe even do periodic
>memory re-calibration..

Unfortunately, Windows 3.0 inherited several things from Windows 2.X, and
this is the bug that is biting you (and everybody else).

There is a 64K segment in low ( < 640K) memory that is the fixed reference
to all the movable stuff that Windows manages.  Because this segment, like
all 16-bit 80x86 segments, can *only* be 64K, you're stuck.

After using Windows for a while, all of this segment is filled with all
sorts of housekeeping things. (Window classes, instance thunks, reload thunks,
pens, brushes, global memory pointers, etc.)  In addition, some (bad)
Windows programs do not free up all the resources that they allocate when
they finish.  This can cause problems.

The last problem is a bug in 80386 Windows.  In Win 2.X, you could mark some
memory as fixed, so Windows couldn't move it and you could use it more easily.
Supposedly, marking a segment as fixed in 80286/80386 Win 3.0 would merely
mark the *pointer* to it as unchangeable. (For a discussion of why this can
work, get a book on 80x86 protected mode programming)  Unfortunately, marking
a segment as fixed on an 80386 marks it as REALLY FIXED in the 80386 address
space, and NOT SWAPPABLE TO DISK.  Completely and totaly locked in place.

One or two of *those* popping up can really kill Windows performance, as
you have seen.

--
Jeff Rife   P.O. Box 3836   |   "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
College Station, TX 77844   |    because he was moral they called him insane.

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (02/26/91)

In article <2606.27c462bf@incstar.uucp> noyce@incstar.uucp writes:
>Just a general question - It appears that if you work in Win 3.0 for
>a long time, doing multiple document open/close, either in Excel 2.1d
>or Word 4 Windows, that eventually, memory gets so fragmented, that
>Win 3.0 appears to 'run out' of memory.  At this point,  I have found
>that the only way to re-coupe this memory, is to exit Win 3.0 to the
>C:> prompt, then re-enter Windows.  While this isn't a major problem,

Iv'e seen this happen, but there seem to be two mechanisms at work, only one
of which I can clearly point a finger at:

1.	Some applications fail to properly release memory and/or other
resources they use.  Windows can't necessarily solve this problem, and as
more and more of that garbage shows up, it may eventually run out.  This
doesn't have to be global memory -- it can just as easily (or more so) be
memory in the heap for the USER DLL, which holds many graphics-related
items and is limited to 64K in Win3.0.  Not much for this, except to restart
windows as you note.

2.	I've also seen situations where I received the "not enough memory"
message, immediately tried the same launch, and succeeded.  No clue as to
what happened in these cases.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

cave@randvax.UUCP (Jonathan Cave) (03/01/91)

In article <2606.27c462bf@incstar.uucp> noyce@incstar.uucp writes:
>Just a general question - It appears that if you work in Win 3.0 for
>a long time, doing multiple document open/close, either in Excel 2.1d
>or Word 4 Windows, that eventually, memory gets so fragmented, that
>Win 3.0 appears to 'run out' of memory.  At this point,  I have found
>that the only way to re-coupe this memory, is to exit Win 3.0 to the
>C:> prompt, then re-enter Windows.

I have a large Excel model that runs SAS jobs on ethernetted Unix boxes.
When the rcp's and rsh's required to upload the scripts to the Unix box
and run the SAS job are executed after a long session, I sometimes get
bounced with an "Insufficient Memory to start application" error.
However, if I simply rerun that macro, it works just fine. Given the
sophistication (low) of some of the ultimate users, this is more than
a minor annoyance.  Esay fixes, like running a memory compacter, create
more problems than they solve (e.g. UAEs).  For now, I have an on.error
workaround, but I still wish I could have my memory back when I need it.
Of course, the memory checkers always show plenty available:-)

grate@flash.bellcore.com (Gerry Grate) (03/05/91)

Subject:Actor 3.0 for $99.00
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 17:02:46 GMT

Subject says it all!
Received a letter in the mail
from Whitewaters Group about a limited time offer (April 1)
for Actor 3.0. (complete set) for $99.00.
Note: Actor 3.0 retails for more than $700.00.

For that price, I won't delay :-)

Borland C++ for $150.00 upgrade (presently have TC++), hmmmmmmm...

--Gerry

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.170246.15085@bellcore.bellcore.com> grate@flash.UUCP (Gerry Grate) writes:
>Subject:Actor 3.0 for $99.00
>Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 17:02:46 GMT

    If you are a hapless college student, WhiteWater will sell you
a copy of actor with 'no for professional use' stamped on it for
$99. They will not, however, sell any of the goodies that go with
it for that kind of discount.

--
   Neal   i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu
 "A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking (meant) for others!"

marwk@levels.sait.edu.au (03/20/91)

A member of staff here would like a paint-like program for WORD for WINDOWS
which allows scaling of simple circuit diagrams.

Is there a package available which does this?

Thank you.
Ray
--
University of South Australia   | Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
P.O. Box 1                      | Ghing thien me how, ming thien gung me how.

crcc7@menudo.uh.edu (Insik Kim) (03/21/91)

Hi, you all.

I have a few very simple question.

I am thinking about installing MS Windows 3.0 on Novell ELS II with following   configuration.

	Sever : 386/33 with 8M nondedicated
	Workstns : 286 with 1M

Questions are :

	1. What running mode is available for server and work stations ?
	2. How does the server memory is shared between netware and window?
	3. What is the advantage of installing window on the server?
	      (other than saving disk space)

Thanks, in advance.
--

kwkyan01@uctvax.uct.ac.za (03/25/91)

  --
A company called 'Monolithic' has released a VGA compatible card, using the
Edsun CEG chip. (it can display > 750,000 simultaneously) The card comes with

  --
 	   Yann KWOK             |
    University of Cape Town	 | "kwkyan01@uctvax.uct.ac.za"

gundrum@svc.portal.com (04/24/91)

Subject: Technical Support Position Available

Technical Support, Macintosh, Windows & NeXT - Software Ventures Corporation,
creators of MicroPhone telecommunications applications, seeks a highly
qualified, bright, self-motivated computer literate person for the Technical
Services team. Team members support customers and in-house staff on software
and equipment, as well as test, document and design new products.

Knowledge of MicroPhone, or other telecommunications software, and graphical
user interfaces a must. Experience with database, network, word processing
and development software are potential plusses. Skills not directly related
to computer use are also considered.

Please send cover letter and resume to:
Technical Services,
Software Ventures Corporation,
2907 Claremont Avenue,
Berkeley, CA 94705.

Any statements made by this account are strictly based on heresay and
should be assumed to have no intelligence behind them. (No, that does
not mean they have the approval of management.) gundrum@svc.portal.com

oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Truth or Dare?) (05/29/91)

	Any opinions on Toolbook and other similar programs?  I've read about
them in various computer magazines, but then I realize that most of what these
magazines print consists of advertisement.  I'm considering looking into them,
but I don't want to get anything that's going to run too slowly on my 386sx
2 megs 16mhz.  I'm will be going to 4 megs soon, however.  (Fingers crossed.)

  Sharon Lindsey O'Neil  	  "I could be happy/I could be quite naive/
  Bitnet: oneil@unomai1		   It's only me and my shadow/Happy in our
  Internet: oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu 	make believe/Soon." -- Tears for Fears

mce3p@virginia.edu (06/26/91)

Subject:re: Windows On a Network...
Sender: mce3p@virginia.edu
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 91 14:40:40 GMT

In article <1991Jun22.154533.9461@wam.umd.edu> einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) writes:
>My company is very interested in installing one copy of windows
>on a Novell network.  I thought I remebered readin something
>in here about the regular windows package doubling as a network
>license.  Do I have this straight?
>
>Even if I don't, we have bought enough copies of windows 3.0
>such that we could make it available on the net to only the
>number of people actually have the licenses.
>
>Here's my real question:
>
>Is there a way of installing windows such that each person could
>have their own particular setup (.ini files, device drivers,etc)
>in their own personl directory space and then have the three different
>versions (or maybe just standard mode and 386enh mode) avaiable in
>two different directories being shared by all?  Don't worry about
>whether we have 386's or 486's-- that's all we have.
>
>So, can this be done?  Has anyone done it?
>
>Emc2
>

>--
>Joe Sample - University of Merryland, College Park
>jsample@wam.umd.edu (This is a sample signature file)

We have Win3 installed on an IBM LAN Server Version 1.3 LAN.  Read the
section in the manual (Chapter 14) concerning network installation.  Each
user can install windows to any directory on the network, and start
windows from there for each different configuration.  To install from
a network, you type "setup /n," which copies only the bare minimum to the
current network drive.  You can then edit the .INI files to achieve the
configuration you need.  Hope this helps!

Chris Exley
Department of Human Resources
University of Virginia