[comp.windows.ms] Keyboard problem?

perf@efd.lth.se (Per Foreby) (06/24/91)

Facts: 286, 1Mb, Dos 5.0, Win 3.0, himem, smartdrv.

Problem: I can run windows for about one minute - then the following
happens. The bell starts beeping just as if the keyboard buffer should
be full and the keyboard doesn't work. The computer is still running,
but very very slow (as if it had to take care of lots of keyboard
interrupts). Ctrl+alt+del does of course not work, and hitting the
reset button reboots the machine, but the keyboard keeps beeping.
Power off is the only thing that helps.

It looks like a hardware problem, but I don't have any keyboard
problems when I'm outside windows. I'm confused...

--
Per Foreby (perf@efd.lth.se) Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden

donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) (06/25/91)

In article <PERF.91Jun24150844@osiris.efd.lth.se> perf@efd.lth.se (Per Foreby) writes:
->Facts: 286, 1Mb, Dos 5.0, Win 3.0, himem, smartdrv.
->
->Problem: I can run windows for about one minute - then the following
->happens. The bell starts beeping just as if the keyboard buffer should
->be full and the keyboard doesn't work. The computer is still running,
->but very very slow (as if it had to take care of lots of keyboard
->interrupts). Ctrl+alt+del does of course not work, and hitting the
->reset button reboots the machine, but the keyboard keeps beeping.
->Power off is the only thing that helps.
->
->It looks like a hardware problem, but I don't have any keyboard
->problems when I'm outside windows. I'm confused...
->
->
->
->--
->Per Foreby (perf@efd.lth.se) Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden

I had this same problem when I upgraded my mother from a True-Blue IBM
AT motherboard to a new 12 Mhz with AMI bios.  It turned out that the new
AMI bios would not work with the IBM AT keyboard (with the function keys on
the right.)  It would also not work with a generic AT keyboard.  The only
way that I got the system to work was to buy a new enhanced keyboard.
(Of coarse I changed the keyboard setting in the windows setup.)  It appears
that the AMI keyboard bios is not 100% IBM compatible.

Best regards,
Don Lehn

jan@nasobem.stgt.sub.org (Jan Schiefer) (06/26/91)

perf@efd.lth.se (Per Foreby) wrote:
> Problem: I can run windows for about one minute - then the following
> happens. The bell starts beeping just as if the keyboard buffer should
> be full and the keyboard doesn't work. The computer is still running,
> but very very slow (as if it had to take care of lots of keyboard
> interrupts). Ctrl+alt+del does of course not work, and hitting the
> reset button reboots the machine, but the keyboard keeps beeping.
> Power off is the only thing that helps.
>
> It looks like a hardware problem, but I don't have any keyboard
> problems when I'm outside windows. I'm confused...

Try this: when this keyboard crash happens, pull the keyboard plug out
of the pc and put it back in. If this "keyboard cold boot" solves the
problem, you've got two options:

(a) Solder a switch to the reset pin of the 8049/8749 microcontroller
    inside the keyboard
(b) Replace the keyboard.

For me option (b) worked, my old keyboard crashed sometimes when I used
VDISK.SYS in expensive, er, extended memory.
Some people told me the problem would be caused by the pc's interrupts
being disabled too long, others said the data clock of the keyboard would
be wrong. (Of course, nothing of this is true - it's voodoo!)

Good luck,

        Jan

--
Jan Schiefer, Degerlocherstr. 5, D-7000 Stuttgart 70, jan@nasobem.stgt.sub.org
   "The bus transceiver controls, DALI and DALO, are used to control the