[comp.windows.ms] Win 3.0 & MSDOS 5.0

herring@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (John B. Herring) (06/24/91)

To those who have win 3.0 & msdos 5.0:

	Do you recommend upgrading to DOS 5.0?  What advantages does it
	have over Dos 3.2?  I have a 386dx, VGA, 8MB RAM.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| John Herring   | herring@enuxha.eas.asu.edu | CS Grad at large         |
| "Death is not a lesson, Death is like a final exam" - george carlin -  |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (06/26/91)

In article <9106240409.AA04727@enuxha.eas.asu.edu> herring@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (John B. Herring) writes:
>To those who have win 3.0 & msdos 5.0:
>
>	Do you recommend upgrading to DOS 5.0?  What advantages does it
>	have over Dos 3.2?  I have a 386dx, VGA, 8MB RAM.

I definitely do recommend it.

I don't know WHAT they fixed, but a number of Windows type things
(refreshing the Program Manager, for instance) run noticeably faster
under DOS 5.0 than under 4.01.  This is with the same configuration of
everything else.

DOS 5 also lets you free up more conventional memory, unless you were
using a well tweaked QEMM already in which case you already have that.

You also get a better DOS editor.

I wouldn't pay $100 for DOS 5, but the $39 Egghead upgrade is well worth
it, in my opinion.