[comp.windows.ms] WfW to ... 'ROFF!!!?

newbie@inmet.inmet.com (06/24/91)

This may seem like a very strang request, but I'm looking for a program to
convert Microsoft Word for Windows documents to Unix 'roff format. I'm
working on an internal manual, and have been told that the final product
has to be in some format that "anyone" can update as needed. Around here,
that boils down to using vi on a Sun workstation.

Anyway, any info on just about anything that will convert some sort of
wordprocessor document into something approximating 'roff would be appriciated.
Oh, and it's gotta be free...

Thanx

-Chris

   Intermetrics, Inc	|  	      "Don't mess with Mrs. Murphy!"         |
           Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
newbie@inmet.inmet.com * inmet!newbie@uunet * ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (06/26/91)

In article <37000003@inmet> newbie@inmet.inmet.com writes:
>This may seem like a very strang request, but I'm looking for a program to
>convert Microsoft Word for Windows documents to Unix 'roff format.

Some poor (in that he had to do this) soul, thankfully (for us that also are
in the same predicament) wrote a rtf2roff.  I have never used it so I can not
vouch for its effectiveness, but at least the premise is great for (attempting)
the integration of modern ways (wysiwyg) with the prehistoric (typesetting).

Now what I REALLY need is something that will go the other way so that I
can bring in prehestoric documents & update them.

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

briang@deadzone.uucp (Brian Greenberg) (06/26/91)

In article <37000003@inmet> newbie@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>I'm
>working on an internal manual, and have been told that the final product
>has to be in some format that "anyone" can update as needed. Around here,
>that boils down to using vi on a Sun workstation.
>
>Anyway, any info on just about anything that will convert some sort of
>wordprocessor document into something approximating 'roff would be appriciated.
>Oh, and it's gotta be free...
>
>Thanx
>
>-Chris

Whatever happened to good ol' ASCII????  Surely any system will be able to read
that!  And it's free!

Later,
]_)    .         ]         briang%deadzone@Princeton.EDU      <\___...____
]_) ]~ ] C\ ]\)  ]__].   "It's either sadness or euphoria"    </ (_III_) ~
                                                   - B. Joel