[comp.windows.ms] WfW cool but wicked buggy...

newbie@inmet.inmet.com (06/24/91)

Just to add my eight bits to the WfW noise, I have three annoying problems
with the program. Is anybody from Microsoft listening? Does anybody know
if these are bugs or if I'm doing something wrong?

1. Low on memory. My system has 4MB with a 4MB swapfile (nearly 5MB free
with nothing running). With only WfW and ATM running, there is about 4MB
free, around 62 percent of system resources available. Editing a small
(less than 20k) document with outlines, tables, index, etc. While editing a
table, I tried to define a style. WfW kept telling me I was low on memory.
The only way I could get it to stop was to quit and restart! Methinks WfW
doesn't know how to handle memory very well.

Amusing note: as part of my startup macro, I have WfW display free memory
and disk space in the status line. When my system only had 2MB, WfW would
report around 800k available. Now, with 4MB, the number is much lower, around
400k, though sometimes it does hit 800k. What gives? The only differnece
between the two setups is the amount of physical RAM. Both were with WfW
as the only task. Can we say *memory loss*?

2. Disappearing headers & vertical page shifting. Suddenly (well, I just
noticed it - I know it *used* to work) the text on all pages is shifted
upwards by about 3/4", so that the headers don't even print because they
are outside the margins. The headers are also not visible in the page
*preview* mode, though they are correct in page *view*. This is using the
Epson 24-pin driver (stock, not the modified one on cica). Funny, though,
if I switch to the PostScript driver everything is OK. I've check the
margins and header placement, etc. but nothings amiss. Strange that it
varies with printer drivers. And I know it used to work because I have
documents printed out with headers! I reloaded an old one and re-printed
it - it got messed-up as well. So, anyone know what's wrong?

3. Fortmat, Position positions stuff wrong. This one *really* bugs me. If
I format a paragraph (say a title) and position it (vertically) at the
center of the page (Format, Position, Vertical - "Center") all other para-
graphs I position on that page get placed relative to the first one. So
"Top" equates to "just below the centered one," "Center" comes out around
the "bottom of the page" and "Bottom" places the stuff off in never-never
land, about 10" below the paragraph in the center! I've tried all of the
"Relative to...." options, and they all behave the same way. Am I doing
something wrong, or is this a bug?

System: PS/2 55sx, 4MB RAM, 60MB drive, Epson LQ-510, Windows 3.0, ATM 1.0,
WfW 1.1.

-Chris

   Intermetrics, Inc	|  	      "Don't mess with Mrs. Murphy!"         |
           Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
newbie@inmet.inmet.com * inmet!newbie@uunet * ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

antonio@qualcom.qualcomm.com (Franklin Antonio) (06/26/91)

In article <37000002@inmet> newbie@inmet.inmet.com writes:
>Just to add my eight bits to the WfW noise, I have three annoying problems
>1. Low on memory. My system has 4MB with a 4MB swapfile (nearly 5MB free
>with nothing running). With only WfW and ATM running, there is about 4MB
>free, around 62 percent of system resources available. Editing a small
>(less than 20k) document with outlines, tables, index, etc. While editing a
>table, I tried to define a style. WfW kept telling me I was low on memory.

Yep!  I have 8MB ram, with default swap file.  I often run into the W4W
low on memory problem.  Usually when i try to print, or open another
file, or sometimes just bring a different document to the front!
This has happened at times when i've had as little as 2 documents of
one page each open, and no other apps running.  I don't know how to cause
this to happen on command, unfortunately.  W4W has memory management bugs.
No two ways about it.

>The only way I could get it to stop was to quit and restart!

Same here.