[comp.windows.ms] Unix Windows under Win30?

rlk20269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Leon Kapusta) (06/21/91)

I was just wondering if anyone has written or is currently
writing or is planning to write a Windows 3.0 application
that allows you to have multiple 'unix' windows running at once.

What I mean is this:  there is a program available for Atari computers
that is called "Unixwindows".  I'm not sure who wrote it but what it
does is it allows you to open many login windows each independent
of one another when you are logged in to a unix machine.  It uses the
unix shell 'uw'.  I think that it is one of the most useful utilities
I've seen for remotely logging onto unix machines.  Now what I'd
like to have, is something like this that runs under Windows 3.0
that allows you to use any Comm software to make the connection,
and then takes over by creating multiple login windows.

I know someone was working on a program like this that runs under
DOS because I have an early copy of it.  It does actually work well,
but the interface is very crude.  Please let me know if you have any
comments/suggestions about this.  If there is a version in the works,
can I have a test copy to try?  If not I might write it myself, but
I'd need some suggestions from the users out there!

Thanks a lot!

Rich Kapusta
University of Illinois

nice1.ne.rpi.edu (Y. Danon) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.014453.20292@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rlk20269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Leon Kapusta) writes:
>I was just wondering if anyone has written or is currently
>writing or is planning to write a Windows 3.0 application
>that allows you to have multiple 'unix' windows running at once.
>
>What I mean is this:  there is a program available for Atari computers
>that is called "Unixwindows".  I'm not sure who wrote it but what it
>does is it allows you to open many login windows each independent
>of one another when you are logged in to a unix machine.  It uses the
>unix shell 'uw'.  I think that it is one of the most useful utilities
>I've seen for remotely logging onto unix machines.  Now what I'd
>like to have, is something like this that runs under Windows 3.0
>that allows you to use any Comm software to make the connection,
>and then takes over by creating multiple login windows.
>
>I know someone was working on a program like this that runs under
>DOS because I have an early copy of it.  It does actually work well,
>but the interface is very crude.  Please let me know if you have any
>comments/suggestions about this.  If there is a version in the works,
>can I have a test copy to try?  If not I might write it myself, but
>I'd need some suggestions from the users out there!
>
>Thanks a lot!
>
>Rich Kapusta
>University of Illinois

If you have an ethernet card you can log to the unix machine sevral times, one
shareware pakage under win 3.0 is winqvtnet.

jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (06/21/91)

In article rlk20269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Leon Kapusta) writes:
>that is called "Unixwindows".  I'm not sure who wrote it but what it
>does is it allows you to open many login windows each independent
>of one another when you are logged in to a unix machine.

Are you saying that there is software that allows you to have multiple
sessions to a unix system with only one comm port?

--
Joe Wasik, Pac*Bell, 2600 Camino Ramon, Rm 4E750V, San Ramon, CA (415)823-2422
email: jcwasik@clib.PacBell.COM or [...]!pacbell!clib!jcwasik

mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) (06/23/91)

In article <9065@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) writes:
>In article rlk20269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Leon Kapusta) writes:
>>that is called "Unixwindows".  I'm not sure who wrote it but what it
>>does is it allows you to open many login windows each independent
>>of one another when you are logged in to a unix machine.
>
>Are you saying that there is software that allows you to have multiple
>sessions to a unix system with only one comm port?

About a year ago I was helping someone beta test such a package.  I have
heard that it was released.  It was by a UK company named VisionWare(?)
and I have seen posts from people at that company here.

The package worked over ethernet, serial line, or <gasp> modem (although
the performace suffered with the slower methods).  It would allow you
to open up to seven windows on the Unix box.  It was pretty slick.

--
Mike Lipsie     1-415-648-5922       584 Castro #614, San Francisco, CA 94114
dosbears!mikel@pyramid.com

rlk20269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Leon Kapusta) (06/23/91)

In article <518@dosbears> dosbears!mikel@pyramid.com (Mike Lipsie) writes:
>In article <9065@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) writes:
>>In article rlk20269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Leon Kapusta) writes:
>>>that is called "Unixwindows".  I'm not sure who wrote it but what it
>>>does is it allows you to open many login windows each independent
>>>of one another when you are logged in to a unix machine.
>>
>>Are you saying that there is software that allows you to have multiple
>>sessions to a unix system with only one comm port?
>
>The package worked over ethernet, serial line, or <gasp> modem (although
>the performace suffered with the slower methods).  It would allow you
>to open up to seven windows on the Unix box.  It was pretty slick.

Well, the program I have was written by someone (I'm not sure who it
was, but I might be able to dig it up) and what it did was this:

You can login to any unix machine using any modem (running this program).
Then when you get a unix prompt, you type "uw" which starts some
type of shell.  Then you can open up to 9 different windows each
with its own unix prompt.  Then by pressing a key you can switch to
any one of the windows.  The problem with this program was that the
interface was very crude.  I would love to have something like this
that ran under Windows 3.0, but even under DOS would be fine.

BTW I have all of this person's source code if anyone is interested
how he did it.

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (06/25/91)

>>that is called "Unixwindows".  I'm not sure who wrote it but what it
>>does is it allows you to open many login windows each independent
>>of one another when you are logged in to a unix machine.

>Are you saying that there is software that allows you to have multiple
>sessions to a unix system with only one comm port?

No need for fancy software. Procomm can do it. The
magic is on the other end. Our setup at IU allows
three separate sessions on up to 3 separate machines
(not just Unix either, VMS and VM machines are on
the same network), switching between sessions is
handled by hitting the break key, which brings up
a session menu.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

tjdst7@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Todd J Derr) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.162420.16127@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>>that is called "Unixwindows".  I'm not sure who wrote it but what it
>>>does is it allows you to open many login windows each independent
>>>of one another when you are logged in to a unix machine.
>
>>Are you saying that there is software that allows you to have multiple
>>sessions to a unix system with only one comm port?
>

>No need for fancy software. Procomm can do it. The
>magic is on the other end. Our setup at IU allows
>three separate sessions on up to 3 separate machines
>(not just Unix either, VMS and VM machines are on
>the same network), switching between sessions is
>handled by hitting the break key, which brings up
>a session menu.

Yeah, but that's kind of tedious.... I think the idea is to spawn
seperate shells and have each shell output to its own window.... THAT
would be useful!
I might want to give this one a shot... but I've never taken a crack at
a windows app and I don't have the SDK or Borland C++2.0....  I DO have
C++ 1.0... does borland offer an upgrade to 2.0? (although I know,
that's off the point).... $350 is a bit steep for me right now...

Also, anyone else who has tried to develop a multiple-windows interface
for unix, drop me a line... I'd be interested in hearing ideas...

Todd J. Derr
tjdst7@unix.cis.pitt.EDU
I speak for everyone BUT myself...

jonb@specialix.co.uk (Jon Brawn) (06/26/91)

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:

>>>that is called "Unixwindows".  I'm not sure who wrote it but what it
>>>does is it allows you to open many login windows each independent
>>>of one another when you are logged in to a unix machine.

VisionWare, based in Leeds, UK have the product that performs this task.

PC-Connect (when I last knew it) had multiple connections over RS232, modems,
ethernet (many different vendors), etc. and came with many wizzy and exciting
*graphical* unix applications, such as a graphical ``who'', and the usual
rubish (clocks, maze drawing, etc.)

I believe that there is some kind of extension that allows you to combined
excel with SQL queries to a Unix based database system?

E-Mail to simon@vision.co.uk will get through to one of their excellent support
managers. He will be able to pass you on to someone who can threaten you with
stunning sales literature. He may even be able to tell you where to buy it.

Come on VW! Wave yer flag!
--
Dont believe a word of this.

rhys@cs.uq.oz.au (Rhys Weatherley) (06/26/91)

In <9065@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) writes:

>In article rlk20269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Leon Kapusta) writes:
>>that is called "Unixwindows".  I'm not sure who wrote it but what it
>>does is it allows you to open many login windows each independent
>>of one another when you are logged in to a unix machine.

>Are you saying that there is software that allows you to have multiple
>sessions to a unix system with only one comm port?

Yes there is - I wrote it!!  Well ... what I did was write a DOS version of
the Unix Windows program.  It's available on SIMTEL20 as the following file:

		PD1:<MSDOS.MODEM>UWPC105.ZIP

It's just for DOS, and the new version (2.01) will be out any minute now
(you just watch me :-) .  Once that is out, I'll be starting in earnest on
a port to Windows 3.0.  The DOS version uses full-screen windows with keys
to change the currently displayed window.  It works well for DOS, though
sooner or later I'll have to do some overlapped thingy.  The Windows 3.0
version is going to be all-singing, all-dancing.

Unix Windows allows you to have up to seven shells running at once.  The
protocol requires you to have a server running on the remote Unix machine
to manage the switching between windows, etc, but it works well and much
faster than other multi-windows thingys for Unix like "screen".  The server
source code is included in my UW/PC distribution.

UW/PC is not as full a communications program as Procomm, Telix, etc - it
doesn't have all the features (version 1.05 doesn't have X/Zmodem but 2.01
does) of the conventional programs, but for connecting to Unix systems,
nothing beats it (yes I know, I'm advertisiting!! Shock Horror!! :-) .

Cheers,

Rhys.

+=====================+==================================+
||  Rhys Weatherley   |  The University of Queensland,  ||
||  rhys@cs.uq.oz.au  |  Australia.  G'day!!            ||
||       "I'm a FAQ nut - what's your problem?"         ||
+=====================+==================================+

In <1991Jun23.044908.1505@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> rlk20269@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Richard Leon Kapusta) writes:

>You can login to any unix machine using any modem (running this program).
>Then when you get a unix prompt, you type "uw" which starts some
>type of shell.  Then you can open up to 9 different windows each
				        ^^^
I'll think you'll find it's 7.  The window number is encoded as 3 bits and
window number 0 is not used because nulls on serial lines can cause problems.

If anyone is thinking of writing such a beast, I can tell you where to find
the full server source, or alternatively I can send you troff source for
the documentation of the Unix Windows protocol.

Cheers,

Rhys.

+=====================+==================================+

rdm2@chaucer.uucp (25362-roe mcburnett(H053)m000) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.194914.24226@specialix.co.uk> jonb@specialix.co.uk (Jon Brawn) writes:

>VisionWare, based in Leeds, UK have the product that performs this task.
>
>PC-Connect (when I last knew it) had multiple connections over RS232, modems,
>ethernet (many different vendors), etc. and came with many wizzy and exciting
>*graphical* unix applications, such as a graphical ``who'', and the usual
>rubish (clocks, maze drawing, etc.)
[...]
>E-Mail to simon@vision.co.uk will get through to one of their excellent support
>managers. He will be able to pass you on to someone who can threaten you with
>stunning sales literature. He may even be able to tell you where to buy it.

One U.S. distributor is Unipress Software (800)222-0550 or
(201)985-8000.  They are handling my customer support and updates
locally for VisionWare.

I am currently writing this on a IBM PS/2 running windows 3.0 and
xvision  (VisionWare's X windows server)  I have 4 logical connections
to my host computer (via ethernet but VisionWare supports multiple
connections on serial ports as well...I just have not tried them).

It's wonderful.

-Roe

Disclaimer:  I have no official connection with Unipress Software or
Visionware except that I am a satisfied customer.

Roe D McBurnett III Bellcore (908)699-2273 rdm2@chaucer.cc.bellcore.com
#insert <std.disclamer>