[comp.windows.ms] Dual monitors in windows

bushey@uvm.edu (Gary Bushey) (06/19/91)

All,

I am  trying to get dual monitors to work for windows (or at least some of
the programs) and I am having no luck.

For those of you who have managed to do this, how did you do it?

Gary Bushey               |
StarLAN Administrator     |   Your message here!
bushey@uvm.edu            |

bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Barry King) (06/23/91)

bushey@uvm.edu (Gary Bushey) writes:

> All,
>
> I am  trying to get dual monitors to work for windows (or at least some of
> the programs) and I am having no luck.
>
> For those of you who have managed to do this, how did you do it?
>

> Gary Bushey               |
> StarLAN Administrator     |   Your message here!
> bushey@uvm.edu            |

Assuming you already know the majority of the technical stuff to hook up
the monitor correctly etc etc, you may have to fiddle with a sys.ini
setting (system.ini - sorry) which maps out the B000-B400 RAM region so
the second display doesn't get trashed by Windows (lack of) memory
management.  Try setting DualDisplay=1 in the [386Enh] section of
system.ini, if you're using a 386 of course.

I didn't have any troubles with Turbo Debugger and a second mono monitor.

Barry King              bking@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

hermit@cats.ucsc.edu (William R. Ward) (06/28/91)

I have an OAK VGA card, the exact model I'm not sure, except that it can
do 800x600x256 (but I don't have a monitor with that kind of
resolution).

It has both EGA and VGA style outputs, and a DIP setting for one, the
other, or both.

Now here's the hard part.  Does anyone know if I can use both monitors
for Windows (I have a Commodore 1084 monitor, which *should* be able to
take the EGA output, but maybe not more than 640x200 resolution)?  I'd
like to do something like the Macintosh, where two monitors together
comprise a virtual desktop, and the mouse moves from one to the other.
Does Windows support this, does my VGA card support this, and how would
I do it?

--
William R Ward						<hermit@cats.ucsc.edu>
	I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.