[comp.windows.ms] Abort, Retry, Cancel under windows

darrenp@dibbler.cs.monash.edu.au (Darren Platt) (06/28/91)

I haven't been reading this group for long so I'm not sure if this is in the
FAQ list, but I've noticed for a while that anything that would normall
provoke an abort, retry, fail from DOS (pops up a cancel/retry window under
windows) has this uncanny ability to either hang my session or drop me out
to DOS immediately (and dos don't like it) losing whatever I was doing at the
time.

The simplest way to provoke this response is to bring up a file requestor and
click on [a:] with no disk in the a drive.

Is this phenomenon perculiar to my system (a 386 - usually run in enhanced
mode) ?

Yours sincerely,

Darren Platt.

darrenp@dibbler.cs.monash.edu
Monash, Clayton, Melbourne, Australia. (core dumped)

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Industrial Poet) (06/29/91)

darrenp@dibbler.cs.monash.edu.au (Darren Platt) writes:
> I haven't been reading this group for long so I'm not sure if this is in the
> FAQ list, but I've noticed for a while that anything that would normall
> provoke an abort, retry, fail from DOS (pops up a cancel/retry window under
> windows) has this uncanny ability to either hang my session or drop me out
> to DOS immediately (and dos don't like it) losing whatever I was doing at the
> time.

You're probably running the debug version of Windows without having
redirected AUX: to somewhere sensible.

mathew