[comp.windows.ms] Sharing violation

mikep@hydra.unm.edu (Mike Prine CIRT) (06/20/91)

--
Michael Lee Prine	 IRC (Information Resource Center) consultant
Internet: mikep@hydra.unm.edu, Bitnet: MIKEP@UNMB, Phone: 1-505-277-8148
--
Never use a hammer if a handgrenade is handy!

mikep@hydra.unm.edu (Mike Prine CIRT) (06/20/91)

Well let's try that again. The last try resulted in a null message.

	Just when you think your beginning to understand windows a new problems
crops up and kills things. The problem is we just got some new Zenith 386sx
machines with Zenith DOS 4.01 and 40Meg hard disks, 4 meg of Memory and Logitec
serial mice on com2: (I told windows they were MS mice). These machine share an
HP Laserjet printer on a LAN-Spool system that makes it look like a serial
printer so they use COM1 and redirect LPT1 to COM1 with the now famous lines

	MODE COM1:9600,n,8,1,p
	MODE LPT1:=COM1

This trick works just fine under DOS and for most things under windows but
we got bit when using TELNET form Clarkson and the Pass thru printing
options from or VMS host. It give a message "Sharing Violation ..."

Our short term fix was to just repartition all the harddisks to <32meg per
partition. I didn't see anything like this in the FAQ file so hopefully
someone knows a more elegant solution. If not I may have to spend some time
on the phone to Microsoft....
Thanks for any info in advance.

julien@wsc-sun.boeing.com (William Julien) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun20.134634.212@ariel.unm.edu>, mikep@hydra.unm.edu (Mike Prine CIRT) writes:
> Well let's try that again. The last try resulted in a null message.
>
> 	Just when you think your beginning to understand windows a new problems
> crops up and kills things. The problem is we just got some new Zenith 386sx
> machines with Zenith DOS 4.01 and 40Meg hard disks, 4 meg of Memory and Logitec
> serial mice on com2: (I told windows they were MS mice). These machine share an
> HP Laserjet printer on a LAN-Spool system that makes it look like a serial
> printer so they use COM1 and redirect LPT1 to COM1 with the now famous lines
>
> 	MODE COM1:9600,n,8,1,p
> 	MODE LPT1:=COM1
>
> This trick works just fine under DOS and for most things under windows but
> we got bit when using TELNET form Clarkson and the Pass thru printing
> options from or VMS host. It give a message "Sharing Violation ..."
>
> Our short term fix was to just repartition all the harddisks to <32meg per
> partition. I didn't see anything like this in the FAQ file so hopefully
> someone knows a more elegant solution. If not I may have to spend some time
> on the phone to Microsoft....
> Thanks for any info in advance.

have you tried using the SHARE command. This is required in dos 4.0 when
you have partitions larger than 32 meg.

--
Willaim Julien            | julien@wsc-sun.boeing.com        |    Grin and
Boeing Computer Services  | julien%wsc-sun@atc.boeing.com    |     ignore