[comp.windows.ms] DOS 5.0 and Windows in Real or Standard Mode.

axa12@po.CWRU.Edu (Ashok Aiyar) (07/01/91)

Hello:

I am running Windows on a 386sx with 4 megs of (extended) RAM.
I find that I can run Windows just fine in 386 Enhanced mode, but
that it doesn't run in standard mode or real mode.
I have reproduced the contents of my autoexec.bat and config.sys
files below.  Any comments on them would be welcome.
I am using DOS 5.0.  After loading DOS, I get about 615K of
conventional memory free, and about 57K of upper memory free.
CONFIG.SYS
BREAK=ON
BUFFERS=10
FILES=30
LASTDRIVE=E
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS\ /E:256 /p
STACKS=0,0
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.exe noems
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\ansi.sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\smartdrv.sys 2048 512
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\MOUSE.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB

and

AUTOEXEC.BAT
@ECHO OFF
VERIFY OFF
PATH C:\EXCEL;C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\;C:\MOUSE;C:\WORD5;C:\DNASIS;C:\OLIGO;C:\BATCH;C:\EDITOR;C:\VIRUS;C:\WINWORD
prompt $e[32m$p$e[31m$g$e[36m
loadhigh c:\dos\fastopen.exe c:=50
VER
set TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
del c:\windows\temp\*.tmp
win

The following programs and drivers are loaded in conventional
memory:-

msdos.sys
himem.sys
emm386.exe
command.com

and the following are in upper memory:-

System
Ansi.sys
Smartdrv.sys
Mouse.sys
Fastopen.exe
Setver.exe

As I mentioned earlier, I have about 615 kb of conventional memory
free, and about 57.5 kb of upper memory free.  I have no problems
when I run windows in 386 enhanced mode, and I don't really need to
run in Real or Standard mode.  However I would still be interested
in knowing why I cannot run windows in either of those modes.

Thank you,

Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar
axa12@po.cwru.edu

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (07/01/91)

axa12@po.CWRU.Edu (Ashok Aiyar) writes:

>I find that I can run Windows just fine in 386 Enhanced mode, but
>that it doesn't run in standard mode or real mode.

>CONFIG.SYS
 [...]
>DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.exe noems

There's an obscurely documented restriction that if you're running EMM386.EXE
you can't run Windows in standard mode.

I don't know why you can't run in standard mode; what are the symptoms?

Joe Morris