[comp.windows.ms] Font Problems in standard and enhanced

parkerw@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Parker Waechter) (06/24/91)

I just installed dos 5 on my hard disk (I was running 3.3 before) and
in the process did some repartitioning and moving around of directories.

After doing this, and updating all apropriate .ini file lines I could find,
I tried running windows.  It came up without incident, however, there
seems to be a problem with fonts now.

The program manager and icons etc all use a font that appears to be too
large (larger than before).  I tried running word for windows, and though
it still reports all the fonts that should be there in the font list window,
it does not display them.  I tried installing a different resolution video
driver so it would recopy the fonts (which it did), and then back again, but
the problem still exists.

After further examination, it seems that it only occurs in standard and
enhanced mode.  Real mode has no problems.

Any clues as to what the problem might be?

Please echo responses via email.
				Parker
--
Parker B. Waechter					UCLA Biocybernetics Lab
parkerw@cs.ucla.edu					4731 Boelter Hall

oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (07/01/91)

In article <1991Jun24.042132.14114@cs.ucla.edu>, parkerw@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Parker Waechter) writes:
[Deleted: Parker writes that he just added 5.0 this weekend and repartitioned
his hard disk.  He then reports some problems with fonts.]

I too added Dos 5.0 this weekend I am having problems with the font handler
in the Control Panel.  Now that I don't have Windows confined in a tiny
little 8 meg partition, I decided to add some *.fon files from cica.cica
to my system file in Windows and I've had nothing but problems since.  I
certainly don't want all of them to be installed, since they're memory
hogs, but I thought I would just activate them as I wanted to use them.

> The program manager and icons etc all use a font that appears to be too
> large (larger than before).  I tried running word for windows, and though
> it still reports all the fonts that should be there in the font list window,
> it does not display them.  I tried installing a different resolution video
> driver so it would recopy the fonts (which it did), and then back again, but
> the problem still exists.

	My problem is that fonts I have deactived are still showing up
	in Write and fonts I have activated are not.  Is this strange?
	I know that for W4W's it is necessary to create a new winword.INI
	file.  Is there somethign similar I must do here?

	By the way, so what's the deal with the font option in control
	panel?  For a while it would say that fonts were active, but the
	examples of the fonts weren't showing up under that option and
	it would not let me delete them.  I had to go and change the
	win.INI file under fonts and then it would work again.  Why is
	the font option in the Control Panel being so fussy?  Does it not
	like the fact I have Dos 5.0 and stacker?  Is there a bug of
	some sort in the font thing?  Should I just go out and buy Adobe
	Type Manager?  Would that make things easier?  (I plan on it
	anyway, since there's about a /billion/ ATM fonts floating around
	out there.

[Parker asks for responses via e-mail, I'd really just love to know if
folks are having weird problems with fonts like this too.]

  Sharon Lindsey O'Neil  	  "I could be happy/I could be quite naive/
  Bitnet: oneil@unomai1		   It's only me and my shadow/Happy in our
  Internet: oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu 	make believe/Soon." -- Tears for Fears