[net.auto] Car Recalls

ksg@houxl.UUCP (K.GRANT) (03/01/85)

Recently, the net has been talking alot about recalls of American cars.  I
had always been under the impression that only American cars get recalled.
However, in a Chrysler add I read a while back (good ole') Lee Iacocca
stated that in 1984, more imports were recalled than American cars.  This
was footnoted to be from some reputable source (I don't remember what source
though).  I rarely hear any of the media mention imported car recalls but
American cars always get "good" coverage.  I know Saab has recalled some
cars in the past and I thought Toyota did also.   Would anyone care to
comment?

I'm not trying to defend domestic autos, just learn the facts!

							Kevin S. Grant

preston@fortune.UUCP (Carol Preston) (03/04/85)

In article <654@houxl.UUCP> ksg@houxl.UUCP (K.GRANT) writes:

>Recently, the net has been talking alot about recalls of American cars.  I
>had always been under the impression that only American cars get recalled.
>...Would anyone care to comment?

I own a '82 Mazda 626 which was recently recalled for problems with the
catalytic converter. (I also posted to the net about this to inform other
Mazda owners.)  It was really rusted out, but other than that I haven't had
any problems (knock on wood.)  I just love my car.  I did have problems
getting it fixed. Mazda didn't inform dealers in California about the problem,
since it was due to an accelerated reaction between road salt and the metal
used in the catalytic converter.  I received the notice after it was forwarded
from my old address in Michigan.  I even had to call the EPA about it, but
at least the recall notice from Mazda contained the number.

--
Carol Preston
{hpda, ihnp4, allegra, ucbvax!dual}!fortune!preston