Subject: Intermittent Ports Hanging
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 89 08:05:15 -0500
From: len@netsys.COM

Has anyone experienced ports problems,primarily with cu while
using either the eports or standard ports hardware? It seems that
this happens at least once a week on some machines I use.. Usually
using cu to access another machine at speeds of 9600 and up.. The
task never terminates,and a reboot is neccessary. I have tried using
a breakout box to drop cd,dtr,etc to cause the port to recycle,but
nothing avails.. I am running 3.1.1 with the latest eports drivers.
Enquiring minds would love to know.

len@ames.arc.nasa.gov  or len@netsys.com

------------------------------

From: rich@jolnet.orpk.il.us (Rich Andrews)
Subject: Re: Intermittent Ports Hanging
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 89 22:32:13 CST

I have seen the same problem on a vax 11/750 running sys5 3.1....it seems that
the tilde period sequence has to be entered SLOOOWWWLLLYYY and with some delay
between the characters so that the cu does not hang out there tying up the port.
Yes it does turn into a neo-zombie process from planet 3 when that happens.
Kill -9 is ignored.  I hate it when it does that!  Eports have a unique
set of problems all their own also.  I know one of the hardware designers
of that beastie and there are a set of circumstances that will leave the
eports card in an insane mode.  It seems that if a user is cating (catting?)
a file and then loses the connection (drops DCD) it leaves the board in an
insane mode.  On the same note, I recently tried kermit on my 3b2/400 and
after it tried to connect to a port, it left that port in an insane mode
and I had to power down the machine.  I did not try to pump the board but
it is a bit scarey to have that happen that I never bothered to see if I
could pump the board back to some sort of normalacy.  Gee I hope all of that
make some sort of sense.

rich andrews

To join this group or have your thoughts in the next issue, please
send electronic mail to Ken Davis at the following address;

	{pacbell,netsys,hoptoad,well}!lamc!info-3b2-request

The views expressed in Info-3b2 Digest are those of the
individual authors only.

End of Info-3b2 Digest