[u3b.misc] 3b2 Battery

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (01/05/89)

Could someone please describe the battery used with the NVRAM in a
3b2/400?  I'm looking to get a non-AT&T replacement, assuming that it
will be many dollars less expensive.  Thanks.

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (01/07/89)

In article <547@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>Could someone please describe the battery used with the NVRAM in a
>3b2/400?  I'm looking to get a non-AT&T replacement, assuming that it

I have a 3B2/300 whose battery died last spring.

I didn't want to wait for a replacement so I found one locally.
The battery that came with the 3B2 was:

	Part No. 3B64
	ElectroChem Industries
	BCX72-AA 3.9 v Lithium

	17/32" dia. x 1 15/16" long.

I couldn't find an AA lithium that was 3.9 v or the same size.
I did find an Eveready 3.6v L31 that has been working for 6 months
in spite of the lower voltage. I can't remember the price but I think
it was about $3.00.

The L31 was shorter than the original so I used a metal spacer to
make the connection. Not too elegant but it works.

Your 3B2/400 may not have an easily replaceable battery.
I have a 3B2/310 that has a sealed battery labeled:

	TADIRAN
	TL-5242
	3.6 v.
	High Energy
	Lithium Battery

The battery container has two wires coming out one end that disappear
into the box so I don't know what it will take to replace that one.

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!dmt

denny@mcmi.UUCP (Dennis Page) (01/12/89)

In article <4641@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> dmt@ptsfa.PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) writes:
>The battery container has two wires coming out one end that disappear
>into the box so I don't know what it will take to replace that one.

The wires go around front and plug into the SBD right near the front
of the drive(s).  You have to release the card cage to disconnect it
without bending things.  AT&T charges < $20 for the battery if you
purchase it as a part from the repair people (how many hundreds of
millions if you bought it from a sales person :-).

Install it yourself.  It's not that big of a deal.
--
Good health is merely the slowest rate at which one can die.