Subject: Re:  Preventing binaries using the MAU
From: pacbell!att!ocrjd!randy

|len@netsys.com writes:
| Whoa! The 310 and 400 are pretty likely to have mau's.. I don't see why
| it would be likely that one would have problems using hardware floating
| point software on a 400.

  Both the 3B2 model 310 and the model 400 are built with and without MAU's
(the MAU is an option).  In this case, it happens that the original person's
310 was not configured with a MAU and the model 400 was.  (At least that was
the way I read it).  The above is right as I recall a higher percentage of the
machines were built with MAUs.  Present production is almost all MAU-equipped.

   All of the model 500, 600, and 700s are built with MAUs and the 300
does not have one unless the customer added it (as in getting an upgrade
whose new system board did have a MAU).

Randy Davis					UUCP: ...(att!)ocrjd!randy
						      ...(att!)occrsh!rjd

------------------------------

Subject: C compilers and MAUs
Date: 22 Jan 89 16:12:03 EST (Sun)
From: grs@alobar.ATT.COM (Gregg Siegfried)

Len points out the error of my ways:

> Whoa! The 310 and 400 are pretty likely to have mau's.. I don't see why
> it would be likely that one would have problems using hardware floating
> point software on a 400.

Yes, looking over my product documentation, this has become apparent
to me.  None of the smaller 3B2s we have here are MAU equipped (and
of course the only reason the larger ones are is that they are standard..
Our organization is not famous for purchasing well equipped machines,
unless I'm writing the order..;-) and for some reason I projected this
affliction to everyone else that has 310s and 400s.  Certainly if one
has purchased the available MAU for a 310 or 400, they will not have
any trouble running binaries produced in the MAU fashion on a 500.
However, one can run into problems moving binaries to the 310s with
or without the MAU due to the MMU differences.  Undoubtedly there's
a compiler option to remedy this as well, but I don't have it handy.

Gregg Siegfried
grs@alobar.att.com

To join this group or have your thoughts in the next issue, please
send electronic mail to Ken Davis at the following address;

	{pacbell,netsys,hoptoad,well}!lamc!info-3b2-request

The views expressed in Info-3b2 Digest are those of the
individual authors only.

End of Info-3b2 Digest