Subject: problem with EPORTS card
From: pacbell!att!mhuxu!rs

We recently moved a HP laserjet+ printer from a 3B2 PORTS card to an EPORTS
card.  Running off the EPORTS card is generating a high number of
error 22s from the laserjet.  We are using the standard black modular cable
and the terminal/printer connector.  Do the EPORTS card require a different
type of modular connector?

Thanks
Bob Sanderman
att!mhuxu!rs

------------------------------

Subject: Re:  problem with EPORTS card
Date: 25 Jan 89 01:42:11 EST (Wed)
From: grs@alobar.ATT.COM (Gregg Siegfried)

Bob,

That sounds like an interesting problem.

I have a laserjet plugged into an EPORTS card, but I have about
250 feet of RS232 cable between the RJ-45 cable/adapter and the printer.

I run it at 9600 and have not had a glitch in the 6 mos or so it has
been in place.  What sort of behavior do you get if you plug a terminal
into the line in place of the printer?  What kind of load is on the
other 7 ports on the card?

You can email me directly or to the list if you think it's of general
interest.

Gregg Siegfried
grs@alobar.att.com

------------------------------

From: pacbell!sactoh0!pacengr!smp

Welcome to the insane world of HP LaserJet's.  Yes, the LaserJet DOES require a
special cable to work with an EPORTS.  The cable is known in the 3B2 world as
a "Hardware Flow Control" cable.  Also you will have to modify the spooler
script to turn on hardware flow control on the EPORTS.  Check in your 3B2
owner/operator manual for further info.
Scott Parrish of Pacific Access     UUCP:ames!pacbell!sactoh0!pacengr!smp
916-635-9300

------------------------------

From: ucsfmis!ide!uunet!hcx1!novavax!bigbroth!rk
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 17:43:07 -0500

Please let me have a copy of any email replys.  We are contemplating the
same action.

thanx
Rohan Kelley -- UNIleX Systems, Inc. (Systems and software for lawyers)
UUCP:  ...{gatech!uflorida,ucf-cs}!novavax!bigbroth!rk (office)
                     "            !novavax!lbrotr!rk  (home)
ATTmail:  attmail!bigbroth!rk
3365 Galt Ocean Drive, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33308 Phone: (305) 563-1504

"Go first class or your heirs will" -somebodyelse

To join this group or have your thoughts in the next issue, please
send electronic mail to Ken Davis at the following address;

	{pacbell,netsys,hoptoad,well}!lamc!info-3b2-request

The views expressed in Info-3b2 Digest are those of the
individual authors only.

End of Info-3b2 Digest