Subject: Re:  problem with EPORTS card
From: pacbell!sactoh0!pacengr!smp

Here is the info I collected when trying to get a HP LaserJetII to work with
an EPORTS:

	HP LaserJet to 3B2 EPORTS Serial I/O board connection

		Terminal/Printer 8-pin modular to DB25 adapter
			(normal for regular terms & printers)
		8 Pin Mod			25 pin RS232
		Jack on 3B2			Term/Printer

Ch. Gnd		1 -----------------------------	1	Chassis  Ground
Clear to Send	2 -----------------------------	4	Request To Send
Transmit Data	3 -------------->--------------	3	Receive Data
Data Term. Rdy	4 -------------->--------------	8	Data Carrier Detect
Receive Data	5 --------------<--------------	2	Transmit Data
Data Carr. Det.	6 --------------<--------------	20	Data Terminal Ready
Signal Gnd.	7 -----------------------------	7	Signal Ground
Request To Send	8 -----------------------------	5	Clear To Send

		Hardware Flow Control Connector (this is what you need for
						HP LaserJet's)

		8 Pin Mod			25 pin RS232
		Jack on 3B2			Term/Printer

Ch. Gnd		1 -----------------------------	1
Clear to Send	2 -----------------------------	20	Data Terminal Ready
Transmit Data	3 -------------->--------------	3	Receive Data
Data Term. Rdy	4 -->--|                 	8	Data Carrier Detect
Data Carr. Det.	6 --<--|			4	Request To Send
Receive Data	5 --------------<--------------	2	Transmit Data
Signal Gnd.	7 -----------------------------	7	Signal Ground
Request To Send	8 -----------------------------	5	Clear To Send

	To modify standard Terminal/Printer mod to DB25 adapter,
	remove wires from pins 8 & 20 on the DB25 side and strap together.
	Move the wire from pin 4 to pin 20 on the DB25 side.

	The next items refer to the printer driver script found in:
		/usr/spool/lp/interface

	Remove software flow control from printer port
		-ixon -ixany

	Set up for hardware flow control
		epstty hfc 0<&1

	Using menu on printer, set printer for hardware flow control.
	Refer to section in manual on "Interfaces"

Scott Parrish of Pacific Access     UUCP:ames!pacbell!sactoh0!pacengr!smp
916-635-9300

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jan 89 16:29:47 MET (Thu)
From: ucsfmis!ide!uunet!mcvax!ctisbv!pim (Pim Zandbergen)

>We recently moved a HP laserjet+ printer from a 3B2 PORTS card to an EPORTS
>card.  Running off the EPORTS card is generating a high number of
>error 22s from the laserjet.  We are using the standard black modular cable
>and the terminal/printer connector.  Do the EPORTS card require a different
>type of modular connector?
>
>Thanks
>Bob Sanderman
>att!mhuxu!rs

This problem is documented in the EPORTS manual. It has to do
with slow XON/XOFF processing on the EPORTS boards.
When the Laserjet's buffer fills up, it sends an XOFF to the
EPORTS board. The EPORTS board will not react immediately, but
will continue sending data for about 60 ms. This is too
long for some printers, ie for the Laserjet.

A solution would be to use a PORTS board or the contty port,
or to use hardware flow control (see the EPORTS manual).

---
--------------------+----------------------+-----------------------------------
Pim Zandbergen      | phone: +31 70 542302 | CTI Software BV
pim@ctisbv.UUCP     | fax  : +31 70 512837 | Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70
...!uunet!mcvax!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim           | 2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands

------------------------------

From: cogsci!ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU!decvax!sunybcs!sigmast!dgy
Subject: HDB Uucp on 3B2/500
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 89 16:06:25 EST

[ time to complain about uucp on the 3B2 again ... ]

We are running HoneyDanBer uucp under System V release 3.1.1 on an
AT&T 3B2/500, and have had chronic problems with receiving files from
remote systems.  Sending files is OK, but when we receive, it will
fail with "BAD READ" errors and "INPUT FAILURE IN SEND/SLAVE MODE"
errors.  In debug mode, the latter will show:

	ASSERT ERROR (uucico) pid: 28235 (1/24-11:41:42) PKXSTART ret
	(0) [file: pk1.c, LINE: 338]
	28235 EMT trap

I know that this is an unhealthy sign, but not having source it doesn't
mean much.  I also know that an EMT trap should not be occuring.
I have spoken to the tech people at the AT&T hotline several times
about this, and they are unaware of any problem such as the one I'm
describing, but agree with me that the EMT trap should not happen.
The only suggestion they had was to reload the software, which didn't
change a thing.

I know other people out there are having similar problems.  Has anyone
found an answer?  We've tried different modems on different ports on
both EPORTS and PORTS boards, as well as direct connections.
My only theory is that it seems to happen most often when the system
is bogged down.  Could the timing between uucico and the port in use
be so tight that any slowdown will cause uucico to fail?

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		   5813 Main St, Williamsville, NY 14221

------------------------------

Subject:  problem with EPORTS card
Date: 26 Jan 89 09:50:08 CST (Thu)
From: ucsfmis!ide!uunet!btni!mcmi!denny (Dennis Page)

>Welcome to the insane world of HP LaserJet's.  Yes, the LaserJet DOES require a
>special cable to work with an EPORTS.  The cable is known in the 3B2 world as
>a "Hardware Flow Control" cable.  Also you will have to modify the spooler
>script to turn on hardware flow control on the EPORTS.

I Beg to differ.  I run a LJII on our 3B2/600 using xon/xoff.  Same
cable I use for terminals.  We are running EPORTS 1.2 on series 3
cards.  My interface file is included below.

Btw: the second stty is required for buffer flushing.

Denny

-----
# HP Laserjet series II (local)
#
# Options recognized:
#	-c | c		Compress
#	-l | l		Landscape
#	-t | t		TeX printing (no ixon/onlcr)
#

copies=$4
for opt in $5
do
	case "$opt" in
	-t | t) # TeX mode
		tex=yes
		;;
	-c | c) # compressed mode
		compress=yes
		;;
	-l | l) # landscape mode
		landscape=yes
		;;
	esac
done

if [ "${tex}" = "yes" ]
then
	stty 9600 clocal ixon 0<&1
else
	stty 9600 clocal ixon opost onlcr 0<&1
fi

# Reset command
echo "E\c"

if [ "${tex}" != "yes" ]
then
	echo "&s0C\c"
fi

if [ "${compress}" = "yes" ]
then
	echo "&k2S\c"
fi

if [ "${landscape}" = "yes" ]
then
	echo "&l1O\c"
fi

copies=$4
shift; shift; shift; shift; shift
files="$*"

i=1
while [ $i -le $copies ]
do
	for file in $files
	do
        	cat "$file" 2>&1
		if [ "${tex}" = "yes" ]
		then
			stty 9600 clocal ixon 0<&1
		else
			stty 9600 clocal ixon opost onlcr 0<&1
  			echo "\014\c"
		fi
	done
	i=`expr $i + 1`
done

exit 0
-----

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jan 89 09:48:50 CST (Thu)
From: ucsfmis!ide!uunet!btni!mcmi!denny (Dennis Page)

>Ch. Gnd	1 -----------------------------	1	Chassis  Ground

NO, NO, NO.  Chassis ground (shield) should never be connected on both
ends.  A current carrier (which this becomes due to differences in
ground potential) is not a shield.  If you think I'm kidding, try
running a 500' RS-232 (way over the limit) line in the vicinity of
fluorescent lights between a computer and terminal (or printer) that
are on different feeders.

Denny

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jan 89 07:54:14 EST (Sat)
From: root@oid.UUCP (Admin-P.L. Aeten)

Hi,

Having limited knowledge about the HP and of the general machine
[3B2] setup makes it difficult to analyze the problem. But let me
place some ideas forward.

	>We recently moved a HP laserjet+ printer from a 3B2 PORTS card to an EPORTS
	>card.  Running off the EPORTS card is generating a high number of
	>error 22s from the laserjet.  We are using the standard black modular cable
	>and the terminal/printer connector.  Do the EPORTS card require a different
	>type of modular connector?

First, unless the HP needs to indicate "potential overrun" by dropping
an interface tag (DTR) and re-activate this line when the condition
has passed I'd say the standard "black cable" and Terminal/printer
adapter will suffice. But if XON/XOFF is employed, no.....So yes and
no depending on requirements/options used in the Laser printer.
[Was this the case presented recently? If it is I noted that the HP
was set-up for "half dux" operation, if so change it to "full"]

The EPORTS is given its nature is quite a decent "piece" of hardware.
Because of this it is important to give some thought to how it inter-
acts with the 3B (Software wise). Some things to consider:

	Check to see that you are useing EPORTS Driver Rel 1.2

	NCLIST=			/* found in /etc/master.d/kernel */

	Check your model in lp and make sure your 'stty' options
	are correct for your arrangement.

Check Kernel parameters.  Especially now since you state this cond-
ition is more frequently manifested on a boggy (read BUSY) machine.

RE: NCLIST
If too low then characters (data) can be lost without the users know-
ledge.

Other system tuneables can affect the overall performance of the
system which might show as a boggy performance to a user but affects
attached hardware exhibiting then inconsistent operation.
(BTW what is an error 22?: Sounds as if you were receiving these but
to a lesser degree pre EPORTS????)

	>Thanks
	>Bob Sanderman
	>att!mhuxu!rs

	This problem is documented in the EPORTS manual. It has to do
	with slow XON/XOFF processing on the EPORTS boards.
	When the Laserjet's buffer fills up, it sends an XOFF to the
	EPORTS board. The EPORTS board will not react immediately, but
	will continue sending data for about 60 ms. This is too
	long for some printers, ie for the Laserjet.

This skid is well known and is exacerbated if your baud rate is high.
I am unawre of how to fix this but have heard it has been. Others?

	A solution would be to use a PORTS board or the contty port,
							^^^^^^^^^^^
Not a reasonable solution given that both the console and contty
port should not be used for "production" at high speeds.
Character processing results in high interrupt levels and therefore
software intervention, can result in even poorer performance. In this
case hi-BPS/HP (control and data) streams can be viewed as sustained
(versus bursty) and therefore a problem.

	or to use hardware flow control (see the EPORTS manual).

	---
	Pim Zandbergen      | phone: +31 70 542302 | CTI Software BV
	--

Not a bad suggestion.

I'd be willing to expand on these issues if you like and provide
some help if needed.

Good Luck!

Peter
P. L. Aeten
{attmail!}bacyn!paeten -o {att,dsinc,netsys,}!aeten@oid
[215-581-4444]

------------------------------

From: netsys!vsi!friedl

Denny Page writes:
> NO, NO, NO.  Chassis ground (shield) should never be connected on both
> ends.  A current carrier (which this becomes due to differences in
> ground potential) is not a shield.

Denny is in good company here: I believe the National Electrical
Code agrees with him for a host of reasons.

     Steve

---
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.       I speak for you only      attmail!vsi!friedl
Santa Ana, CA  USA       +1 714 545 6442    {backbones}!vsi!friedl
Nancy Reagan on these *stupid* .signatures: "Enough already, OK?"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Jan 89 23:58:50 PST
Subject: 3B2 and Modems question
From: rich@bergy.UUCP (Bergstedt)

If any of you on this list could help my coworker, please give him a call
or try responding to him at - uunet!attmail!mlunn.

Thanks!

From: Michael  Lunn <!mlunn>
Phone: 716/987-6529
Subject: Microcom AX/2400
To: Richard A Bergstedt <!rbergstedt>

We are trying to get a Microcom AX/2400 modem (that's Microcom, not Micom)
and CODEX 2223 modem (separate applications) both working with a 3B2 in a
bi-directional mode. If anyone has successfully interfaced these two modems,
what is the procedure?

Please respond to !mlunn (or call, 716-987-6529) if you can help.

Thanks!

--
Rich Bergstedt		AT&T Data Systems Group  uucp: uunet!spsd!bergy!rich
voice: 714-855-5570	23421 S. Pointe Dr. #100        -or-

To join this group or have your thoughts in the next issue, please
send electronic mail to Ken Davis at the following address;

	{pacbell,netsys,hoptoad,well}!lamc!info-3b2-request

The views expressed in Info-3b2 Digest are those of the
individual authors only.

End of Info-3b2 Digest