[net.auto] Learning to drive...well

boris@mit-athena.UUCP (Boris N Goldowsky) (02/24/85)

I learned how to drive in a driver's ed course at school which was very bad.
I did not feel comfortable driving until about 6 months after I took the
test and I had some experience.

I still would like to learn how to be a really good driver -- ie, know what
to do in an emergency situation and be able to do it.  But I don't know where
I could get such training.

Suggestions?

I think that the driving test is much too easy and requires much too little
knowledge and skill.  Why have a test at all if it doesn't weed out really
bad drivers (like I was?).

Comments?

--
Boris Goldowsky
	decvax!mit-athena!boris

pace@othervax.UUCP (02/26/85)

If you want to learn to drive well then go to Great Britain.
In my opinion they have a very demanding (and so it should be)
driving test. They put the emphasis on how you perform on the
road more than on how many signs and rules you can memorise.
When I took my test over there (about 5 years ago) I had spent
about 3 months taking lessons at least once a week and then twice
a week nearer the test date.
During the actual test I was on the road with the examiner for
about 35 minutes during which time we did a three point turn,
reversing around a corner, emergency braking (without skidding
or losing control), uphill starts (manual trans.).
After we got back to the test centre he then asked me a few
questions on the highway code (ie. signs, do's & don't's etc.).
After all that he then told me that I'd passed the test!!!

To give you an example of how stringent the test is, I nearly
failed it because I almost forgot to make sure that the car
was in neutral before starting the engine (they don't care if
you disengage the clutch, the car should not be in gear when
you start it).
Another item which they will fail you on is not covering the
brake pedal and looking carefully when you go through a cross
roads, even though you have the right of way.

When I moved to Montreal about a year ago and took their test,
I was no longer amazed at how bad the drivers are here. I spent
more time answering questions about driving than I actually
spent on the road (about 5 minutes on the road).
Now I don't know what driving tests are like in the States but
I suspect that they are not much more demanding if at all (please
correct me if I'm wrong).

In conclusion, if you want to be a GOOD driver then go to the U.K.
and learn there. Once you've done that you can always stay another
few months and take the advanced drivers course and test. The
insurance rates drop significantly if you manage to pass that one!

Scott Pace, Philips Information Systems, Montreal, Canada

philabs!micomvax!othervax!pace

chris@scgvaxd.UUCP (Chris Yoder) (03/06/85)

In article <76@mit-athena.UUCP> boris@mit-athena.UUCP (Boris N Goldowsky) writes:
>I think that the driving test is much too easy and requires much too little
>knowledge and skill.  Why have a test at all if it doesn't weed out really
>bad drivers (like I was?).
>
>Comments?
>
>--
>Boris Goldowsky
>	decvax!mit-athena!boris
>	boris@mit-athena.arpa

     I've always been of the opinion that everybody who is applying for a
licence (renewal or new) should have to take a driven test.  I believe that
some sort of emergency handling test should also be included, perhaps this
could be done on a simulator so that real cars weren't torn up by the test.
I am continually surprised by the basic lack of good driving sence that I
see on the roads, but then one considers that you can miss up to 20% of the
questions and STILL get a drivers license (and miss a few points on the
driving test to boot...) then it becomes painfully obvious that there are a
lot of people out there who don't know what to do in all driving situations.
Why people are allowed to miss more than 1 question is beyond me (I'll give
them one because there are bound to be some "tricky" questions).

     Actually my main pet peve is against people who insist upon driving
when they aren't in full control of thier facilities...  I wish that people
would *think* when they drive instead of zoning out in the fast lane.

				-- Chris Yoder

UUCP --- scgvaxd!engvax!chris

<Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get
you...>

lee@unmvax.UUCP (03/07/85)

> see on the roads, but then one considers that you can miss up to 20% of the
> questions and STILL get a drivers license (and miss a few points on the
> driving test to boot...) then it becomes painfully obvious that there are a
> lot of people out there who don't know what to do in all driving situations.
> Why people are allowed to miss more than 1 question is beyond me (I'll give
> them one because there are bound to be some "tricky" questions).

 Interesting... I recently let my license expire and went down to take
the tests again. For the automobile, I missed that "1" question. It was
a real beaut. "What is the maximum allowable height for a vehicle
in the state of New Mexico?" Lower than the lowest bridge? :-)

 Then came the interesting test. The motorcycle test. I have been
riding mine for 8 years pretty straight now. Only one accident
involving another vehicle. This was when a truck pulled out in
front of me from a blind alley. It was raining. Sliiiiiide... CRUNCH!
Anyway, I ended up missing a BUNCH of questions on that test. If
I had missed even one more I wouldn't have a cycle license now.
Every one of the questions involved some form of "in this situation
would you ride in the center of the lane, the left part of the lane or the
right?". It only took me a couple of misses to decide that to pass
the test you merely answered "center" every time. The rationale
(as explained by the machine) was that this gives one more options.
Just to be ornery I decided to answer those particular questions
in the same manner I ride. The answers were easy then, "where is
the farthest away from the potential hazard?" I can, honestly, think
of three times that if I had been following their rationale I would
be mangled, if not dead! I think, too, that a driving test (I didn't
have to take one) tells a bit more than these questions. Oh yeah,
I was planning to flunk that test. I really tried, believe me. I wanted
to take the state to court.

 To disagree with you on one thing; NOBODY knows what to do in ALL
driving situations. They may "know" what to do but remembering is
pretty hard when your staring down a BIG truck, apparently, intent
on removing you from the earth.

			--Lee (Ward)
		{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!lee