[net.auto] Yugo $4k car and other fairy tales.

gts@dmcnh.UUCP (Guy The Schafer) (03/01/85)

.
Sure, a $3995 import car.  Yeah just like those base sticker
prices on a $6400 4x4 Subaru and a $6100 Honda Civic.
No one in this hemisphere ever paid base sticker price for
an import in the last 3 years unless he was the editor of
Road&Track magazine.  Otherwise they unload them at the dock,
slap on $1000-$4000 worth of pinstriping and Deluxe sport mirrors,
then ship them to the dealers.
Yeah, yeah, you scream, I bought my Audi at base sticker price
and my Volvo too.  You forget, though, that these cars are
already marked up 100% and so overpriced, that the dealers
make a profit anyway.
When someone shells out $4000 and gets a new car and change then
I'll eat my Ford.
+-------------------------------------+ +------------------------------------+
| USENET: decvax!ittvax!sii!dmcnh!gts | | DISCLAIMER:    The content of this |
| USMail: 14-F Hampshire Drive        | | message is the sole responsibility |
|         Nashua, NH  03063           | | of Schafer and doesn't necessarily |
| NEBell: (603) 880-2069              | | reflect the policies of Datamedia. |
+-------------------------------------+ +------------------------------------+
"If I had been a Bokonist then, that statement would have made me howl." -KVJr

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (03/08/85)

In article <194@dmcnh.UUCP> gts@dmcnh.UUCP (Guy The Schafer) writes:

>No one in this hemisphere ever paid base sticker price for
>an import in the last 3 years unless he was the editor of
>Road&Track magazine.  Otherwise they unload them at the dock,
>slap on $1000-$4000 worth of pinstriping and Deluxe sport mirrors,
>then ship them to the dealers.

Not true.  See following.

>Yeah, yeah, you scream, I bought my Audi at base sticker price
>and my Volvo too.  You forget, though, that these cars are
>already marked up 100% and so overpriced, that the dealers
>make a profit anyway.

A friend of mine bought a 1985 VW Jetta (made in Germany, hence an
import) in December (hence in the last three years) for about $200
below list price (I believe this is even better than sticker price).
The car had no options save mudguards and floormats (not exactly
high-buck options).  As to overpricing, it lists at $9500 CDN (or
about $6800 US (don't remember the US price)).  It's rated by EPA as a
compact (not subcompact) and comes complete with goodies like a tape
deck, interval wipers, two outside mirrors, good 175/70HR13 radials
(SR's in the US), a 1.8 litre, 90-hp (85 hp in the US) engine and
very nice tweed seats.  At $9500, not exactly overpriced.

>When someone shells out $4000 and gets a new car and change then
>I'll eat my Ford.

The $4000 US works out to about $5600 CDN.  This is about the price
range of the bottom-of-the-line Huyndai Ponys, Skodas, Yugos, Dacias
and Ladas here in Canada.  With the overly strong US dollar, I would
not be surprised to see a $4000 car south of the border Real Soon Now.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982