[comp.archives] looking for ...

comparc@twwells.uucp (comp.archives) (11/10/88)

In order to prevent comp.archives from becoming a clone of
comp.sources.wanted, I am going to have to limit the kinds of
looking-for requests that get posted here.  As far as I am concerned,
the only looking-for messages that I am willing to accept are of the
form:

	I am looking for X. Would someone please post an archive site
	where they can be found?

If I receive any other kind of looking-for message, I will summarize
it and post it myself.

Also, I will not post cross-posted messages (though I will summarize
them and post).  There are too many pitfalls involved with this and I
don't want the hassle.  Not to mention my response time: you might
well wait two weeks for any posting at all if I were to post
cross-posted messages: when you cross-post to a moderated group, it
gets mailed to the moderator and he would be the one to post it to the
other groups.

Anyway, ccc1@cseg.uucp (Chris C. Corke) posted a couple of requests;
is anyone willing to post some information on which archives might
have what he (she?) is looking for?

: Subject: looking for Names Server
: Subject: looking for UUCP over TCP-IP
:
: I am looking for  a program that will support UUCP over Ethernet.  I am running
: an HP 9000 835 (system V) machine.
:
: Thanks

---
Bill
{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill

send comp.archives postings to twwells!comp-archives
send comp.archives related mail to twwells!comp-archives-request

luis@titan.rice.edu (Luis Soltero) (11/11/88)

>the only looking-for messages that I am willing to accept are of the
>form:
>       I am looking for X. Would someone please post an archive site
>       where they can be found?

I am looking for an ftp'able X.v10.r4 archive site.  please reply via
e-mail.  thanks in advance.

--luis@titan.rice.edu

comparc@twwells.uucp (comp.archives) (11/12/88)

In article <8811110835.AA27068@titan.rice.edu> luis@titan.rice.edu (Luis Soltero) writes:
: >the only looking-for messages that I am willing to accept are of the
: >form:
: >       I am looking for X. Would someone please post an archive site
: >       where they can be found?
:
: I am looking for an ftp'able X.v10.r4 archive site.  please reply via
: e-mail.  thanks in advance.

Please don't reply only via e-mail. I am accepting these postings so
that everyone can find out where to find things.  So, if you want
people to reply via e-mail only, make it clear that you will
summarize the responses you get.

Thanks.

---

I knew it was going to happen. I have been editing the From: lines so
that they contain domain names, but I knew that sooner or later, the
From: line would be wrong. Well, in this case, it was originally:

	From: Luis Soltero <proxftl!uunet!rice.edu!luis>

I was going to change it into:

	From: luis@rice.edu (Luis Soltero)

till I noticed his real address was luis@titan.rice.edu.

Isn't there a better way?  (Is there a proper newsgroup for this kind
of problem? Or a mailing list?)

---