From: nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson)
Subject: add site grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 88 10:33:56 EST

NM grape.ecs.clarkson.edu
EN nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (Russell N. Nelson) Thu Dec  1 10:25:20 EST 1988
TM EST
TT CUHUG archive
AD nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (Russell N. Nelson)
MA Clarkson University ECS; Potsdam, NY 13676
CO ftp;ftp;grape.ecs.clarkson.edu;128.45.9.52;;
CO fido;modem;1:260/360
CO bbs;modem;315-268-6667;;8N1:1200,8N1:2400;;
IX *;/d/files/general/cuhug.lst;;12/1/88;;
KW comp.binaries.ibm.pc, IBM-PC, freemacs
DE Grape is the CUHUG BBS.  It is on the Internet by the graces of Phil
DE Karn's NET package, which has been modified to act like a TSR over
DE which we run an Opus BBS.  Lots of IBM-PC software.

	[I've posted this here instead of as a database update.  I
	posted it because there is an outstanding request for a
	comp.binaries.ibm.pc archive. However, there are several
	problems with the entry so I posted it here to get some
	discussion.

	Some questions:

	The ftp CO line doesn't have a directory to ftp from. How
	important is it to have this directory?

	This entry contains CO lines that I've not seen before.  I'm
	guessing the first is for fidonet; my question is this: is
	the "1:260/360" sufficient for one on that net to access
	whatever information he has archived, or is there something
	else needed or desirable?

	The other CO line is presumably for logging into a BBS. The
	fields I'm using are:

	    <protocols>;<comments>

	The <times available> field is blank, to indicate no time
	restriction. There are two modem settings, each having the
	format:

	Parity is one of the letters (N)o, (E)ven, (O)dd, (M)ark, (S)pace.

	The <protocols> field indicates which protocols are available
	for transmitting data: xmodem, kermit, etc.

	Any comments?

	tww]

--------

From: lwall@devvax.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Larry Wall)
Subject: Perl script to process DB: articles
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 88 19:14:01 PDT

	[Larry Wall sent me the following. Since I don't have perl, I
	can't say what it does. However, I thought I'd pass it along
	for your enjoyment and edification.  Just pick it out of the
	message and follow the instructions.

	tww]

#!/bin/sh
: make a subdirectory, cd to it, and run this through sh.
echo 'If this kit is complete, "End of kit" will echo at the end'
echo Extracting archart
sed >archart <<'!STUFFY!FUNK!' -e 's/X//'
X#!/usr/bin/perl
Xchdir '/usr/spool/archives' || die "Can't cd to /usr/spool/archives";
Xwhile (<>) {
X    last if /^Subject:/;
X}
Xdie "Invalid Subject:" unless /^Subject: DB:/;
Xwhile (<>) {
X    last if /^@/;
X}
Xwhile ($_) {
X    $line = $.;
X    if (/^@ADD SITE/) {
X       $NM = '';
X       $sitedata = '';
X       while (<>) {
X           last if /^@/;
X           $NM = $1 if /^NM ([-a-zA-Z._0-9!]+)/;
X           $sitedata .= $_;
X       }
X       if ($NM) {
X           open(NM,">site/$NM") || die "Can't add site $NM at line $line\n";
X           print NM $sitedata;
X           close NM;
X           print stderr "ADD SITE $NM\n";
X       }
X       else {
X           print stderr "Nameless site at line $line\n";
X       }
X    }
X    elsif (/^@DEL SITE ([-a-zA-Z._0-9!]+)/) {
X       $NM = $1;
X       print stderr "DEL SITE $NM\n";
X       if (-f "site/$NM") {
X           (unlink "site/$NM") || print stderr "Can't del $NM at line $line";
X       }
X       else {
X           print stderr "(No $NM to delete)\n";
X       }
X       $_ = <>;
X    }
X    elsif (/^@ADD INFO/) {
X       $NM = '';
X       $infodata = '';
X       while (<>) {
X           last if /^@/;
X           $NM = $1 if /^NM ([-a-zA-Z._0-9!]+)/;
X           $infodata .= $_;
X       }
X       if ($NM) {
X           open(NM,">info/$NM") || die "Can't add info $NM at line $line\n";
X           print NM $infodata;
X           close NM;
X           print stderr "ADD INFO $NM\n";
X       }
X       else {
X           print stderr "Nameless info at line $line\n";
X       }
X    }
X    elsif (/^@DEL INFO ([-a-zA-Z._0-9!]+)/) {
X       $NM = $1;
X       print stderr "DEL INFO $NM\n";
X       if (-f "info/$NM") {
X           (unlink "info/$NM") || print stderr "Can't del $NM at line $line";
X       }
X       else {
X           print stderr "(No $NM to delete)\n";
X       }
X       $_ = <>;
X    }
X    elsif (/^@DELALL INDEX ([-a-zA-Z._0-9!]+)/) {
X       $NM = $1;
X       print stderr "DELALL INDEX $NM\n";
X       if (-f "index/$NM") {
X           (unlink "index/$NM") || print stderr "Can't delall index $NM at line $line";
X       }
X       else {
X           print stderr "(No $NM to delall)\n";
X       }
X       $_ = <>;
X    }
X    elsif (/^@ADD INDEX/) {
X       $indexdata = '';
X       $oldsite = '';
X       while (<>) {
X           last if /^@/;
X           ($item,$version,$site,$method,$handle) = split(/;/);
X           $site =~ s|[^-a-zA-Z._0-9!].*||;    # no weird site names
X           if ($site ne $oldsite) {
X               do update_index($oldsite) if $oldsite;
X               $oldsite = $site;
X           }
X           $Xseen{"$method;$handle"} = 1;
X           $indexdata .= $_;
X       }
X       do update_index($oldsite) if $oldsite;
X    }
X    elsif (/^@DEL INDEX (\S+)/) {
X       $key = $1;
X       ($site,$method,$handle) = split(/;/,$key);
X       $indexdata = '';                # add nothing
X       $Xseen{"$method;$handle"} = 1;
X       do update_index($site);         # just an update with no additions
X    }
X    elsif (/^@END/) {
X       exit;
X    }
X    else {     # unimplemented
X       while (<>) {
X           last if /^@/;
X       }
X       print stderr "(Skipping unimplemented operation at line $line)\n";
X    }
X}
Xdie "Missing @END: Truncated article?\n";
Xsub update_index {
X    local($site) = @_;
X    local($olddata,$_) = ('');
X    if (open(IN,"index/$site")) {
X       unlink "index/$site";
X       open(NM,">index/$site") || die "Can't modify index/$site";
X       while (<IN>) {
X           ($item,$version,$site,$method,$handle) = split(/;/);
X           $olddata .= $_ unless $Xseen{"$method;$handle"};
X       }
X       print NM $olddata,$indexdata;
X    }
X    else {
X       open(NM,">index/$site") || die "Can't create index/$site";
X       print NM $indexdata;
X    }
X    reset 'X';
X    $indexdata = '';
X    close NM;
X    print stderr "ADD INDEX $site\n";
X}
!STUFFY!FUNK!
echo ""
echo "End of kit"
: I do not append .signature, but someone might mail this.
exit

--------

From: sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon)
Subject: Mail based servers
Date: 2 Dec 88 10:57:35 CST (Fri)

There are two mail-based archive servers of which I am aware.  Netlib
(from att!research) and archive-server (from decwrl).  Netlib runs fine on
SysV, while archive-server is BSD/ULTRIX oriented.

To get access instructions from netlib:
	mail netlib@research.att.com
	send index

To get instructions from archive-server:
	mail archive-server@decwrl.dec.com
	help

	[Let me see if I have this straight: you are saying that
	there are two mail-based server programs, which one accesses
	as in the two examples given above? Or are you just saying
	that these are two archives that you are aware of?

	tww]

---
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress    UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco
	I'm just reversing entropy while waiting for the Big Crunch.

--------

From: lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin)
Subject: A question about non-American archives
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 88 21:55:52 GMT

Your setup seems to be ok for American arpa-ftp/uucp based systems but
what about other countries.  In the uk the equivalent is niftp/uucp
based systems.  I'm sure other countries are the same.

Given I run such an archive how do I register it?

	[I gave examples for those since those are the ones that are
	most commonly mentioned over here.  However, I'm certainly
	not limiting myself to these types.

	If you have an archive which doesn't fit into one of the
	patterns I mention, you need to tell me what information is
	needed to access your type of archive. I'll then set up a new
	CO line format for it.

	tww]

--
Lee McLoughlin                  01 589 5111 X 5028
Department of Computing,Imperial College,180 Queens Gate,London SW7 2BZ

--------

From: libove@libove.UUCP (Jay M. Libove)
Subject: Archive utilities?
Date: 3 Dec 88 11:37:09 EST (Sat)

I'd like to keep comp.archives here on libove.UUCP, but I don't have
time to edit files myself. Do you have scripts or whatnot that will
swallow the postings to the group and maintain the archive more
easily?

	[Well, there's Larry Wall's perl program, above.  If you use
	it, let me know how it goes.

	tww]

Thanks!
Jay Libove              ARPA:   jl42@andrew.cmu.edu or libove@cs.cmu.edu
5731 Centre Ave, Apt 3  BITnet: jl42@andrew or jl42@drycas
Pittsburgh, PA 15206    UUCP:   uunet!nfsun!libove!libove or
(412) 362-8983          UUCP:   psuvax1!pitt!darth!libove!libove

--------

From: vera@Portia.Stanford.EDU (James Vera)
Subject: Apple ][ archive
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 88 18:09:42 PST

Anyone know where an anonymous-ftpable Apple ][ archive site is?

--
James S. Vera      |      Internet           |Standard Disclaimers
Stanford University|vera@portia.stanford.edu |Blah Blah Blah Blah

--------

From: jtbartle@uokmax.UUCP (Yo Dude!!!! What's Up????)
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 88 20:44:20 CST
Subject:  Help

	I've been unable to connect to any ftp site other than uunet.uu.net
and ucbarpa.berkley.edu. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tried to
connect to :

		gatekeeper.dec.com
		panarea.usc.edu
		jetroff
		rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
		aeras.UUCP
		cis.ohio-state.edu
		saab

	I'd like to be able to get Nethack 2.3 from saab but I can't get to it.
If you can help me in any way I'd really appreciate it (even if its that I can't connect). Thanx...

	[Well, I don't know why you can't get to gatekeeper.dec.com
	and panarea.usc.edu, but the others you mentioned are not
	ftpable archives.  If you have uucp, you can, system
	administrator willing, get to those other sites using uucp.

	I think that, in order to get help in ftping from the two
	sites which are ftp sites, you'll have to give us some more
	information. A good piece of information to give us is where
	in the ftp transfer you notice something going wrong.

	Would anyone out there like to write a short essay on how to
	do an ftp transfer?

	tww]

					Jay
	jtbartle@uokmax.UUCP
	Jay T. Bartley
	University of Oklahoma

--------

End of comp.archives digest

---
Bill
{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill

send comp.archives postings to twwells!comp-archives
send comp.archives related mail to twwells!comp-archives-request