[comp.archives] SIMTEL20

bobg+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Steven Glickstein) (03/22/89)

Does anyone know why WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL has been unreachable for a couple of
days now?  This is a major archive site and they have tons of stuff I absolutely
cannot live without.

		[Have you tried sending e-mail to
		postmaster@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL?  If not, you
		should have done that before bothering the net.  In
		general, if you have problems with a site that has a
		domain name, you should *first* direct queries to
		postmaster@thatsite. If you don't get a response in a
		week or so and the problem hasn't cleared up by then,
		then is the appropriate time to send a message to the
		net. tww]

-Bob Glickstein
-Information Technology Center, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (03/24/89)

In <cY9lhky00VsnE21V4O@andrew.cmu.edu>, you write in comp.archives:
>Does anyone know why WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL has been unreachable for a couple of
>days now?  This is a major archive site and they have tons of stuff I absolutely
>cannot live without.

They recently changed their network address, and domain servers
have the old address.  Apparently many sites on MILNLET are getting
address changes, an action that's been called "gratuitous" by some
(c.f. comp.protocols.tcp-ip).  Ask your local nameserver guru to flush
the cache for everything in the MIL domain.
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

br0w+@andrew.cmu.edu ("Bruno W. Repetto") (03/25/89)

They recently changed their address from 26.0.0.74 to 26.2.0.74.

Keith Petersen announced the change only recently.

Bruno.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (03/31/89)

In article <cY9lhky00VsnE21V4O@andrew.cmu.edu> bobg+@andrew.cmu.edu (Robert Steven Glickstein) writes:
| Does anyone know why WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL has been unreachable for a couple of
| days now?  This is a major archive site and they have tons of stuff I absolutely
| cannot live without.
|
|               [Have you tried sending e-mail to
|               postmaster@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL?  If not, you
|               should have done that before bothering the net.  In

Excuse me? If the site is unreachable how would sending mail to it do
any good?

		[Presumably he meant that ftp didn't work. However,
		the mechanism for ftp and for mail is slightly
		different; it is possible for one to succeed when the
		other fails. For example, his problem might have been
		that the site was refusing ftp connections; in that
		case mail would have worked fine. Or, even in the
		event, he might have been using the internet address
		for ftp, which would have failed, but mail might have
		had its address resolved correctly. Anyway, I just
		want to encourage people to use private means for
		checking out problems before taking it to the net.
		tww]

--
	bill davidsen           (wedu@crd.GE.COM)

cas2070@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (Cary Alan Sandvig) (04/18/89)

I am very confused... it seems that everything on SIMTEL20 is compressed...
but I have been unable to find anything that will decompress it... can you
help...

					   -Cary (cas2070@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu)

		[You can get information about simtel20 by sending the
		following to twwells!comp-archives-server

			path cas2070@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
			send help
			send site wsmr-simtel20.army.mil

		If your site doesn't know about twwells, try
		uunet!twwells!comp-archives-server or possibly
		comp-archives-server@twwells.com.

		If that doesn't answer your question, please ask again, but
		it would be a good idea for you to then mention what systems
		you have access to as this sometimes makes a difference. tww]

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (04/23/89)

Complaints and questions about the Simtel20 archives should be sent to
action@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil which is a mailbox set up expressly for
that purpose.

FTP users should download file SIMTEL-ARCHIVES.INFO from the default
anonymous ftp directory for a complete overview.

		[Could you mail me that file? When people ask about simtel20,
		I send them the posting of a few months ago. That appears to
		be out of date. tww]

Please note our IP address was changed to 26.2.0.74 about three weeks
ago.  If you have trouble connecting to Simtel20 your host table may
be out of date.  Ask your system administrator for help.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of Simtel20's CP/M, MSDOS, and MISC archives
Internet: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz