To: ietf@venera.isi.edu
Subject: Internet Resource Guide
From: Karen Roubicek <NNSC@NNSC.NSF.NET>
Date: Fri, 26 May 89 17:30:50 -0400
Sender: roubicek@NNSC.NSF.NET

The NNSC is in the process of publishing a guide to resources on the Internet.
These resources include facilities such as supercomputers, databases,
libraries, or specialized programs on the Internet which are available to large
numbers of users.  Each entry in the guide will contain a description of the
resource, a description of who may use the resource, the type of access
supported (email, ftp, telnet), and contact points for further information such
as a phone number, email address, and name of a contact person where
appropriate.  We expect each listing to be approximately one page of text.

Our initial concept was that the guide would be published in hardcopy form to
provide readers with the ability to flip manually through the pages.  However,
we also realized that a major difficulty in printing hardcopy materials is
keeping the information accurate and up-to-date.  We've therefore decided to
use an electronic submission and distribution system.  We're creating a mailing
list of people who wish to receive the guide and we will distribute pages of
the guide in postscript form.  Recipients can print the pages locally and
insert them into a looseleaf binder, which they can update when they receive
new material.  An initial set of entries will be mailed to the list in
June, and we will periodically send new and updated entries. If you want to
join the list to receive the guide, please send a message to
resource-guide-request@nnsc.nsf.net. Hardcopy versions will be sent by U.S.
mail to people who can't be reached by email.

Submissions describing resources should be sent to the NNSC and will be edited
here prior to distribution.  If you're part of an organization that maintains a
facility that should be included in the guide, please fill out the template
appended to this message and send it to:  resource-guide@nnsc.nsf.net.  A
sample entry can be obtain via anonymous ftp from nnsc.nsf.net.  In the
directory resource-guide, get the file sample.ps.  If you know anyone who might
want to make a contribution, please pass on this message or send us a note
giving us the name of a contact person.

We need your help to make the guide a valuable tool for Internet users -- its
effectiveness will depend on the active participation of the community of
resource providers.  Thanks.

NNSC Staff
		INTERNET RESOURCE GUIDE TEMPLATE

(1)  Name of Resource

(2)  USPS Address

(3)  Email Address

     please use a general or central address

(4)  Phone Number

     please use a central phone number

     (additional phone numbers may be listed at end)

(5)  Description of Resource

(6)  Network Access

(7)  Who Can Use the Resource/Restrictions

     please give some general guidelines

(8)  Miscellaneous Information

     additional phone numbers

     names of individuals if appropriate