[comp.archives] JT Fax 9600 programmer's toolkit alt.fax

bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula) (12/19/89)

Archive-name: jt-fax-9600/toolkit
Archive-site: nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu [128.146.1.7]
Archive-directory: pub/faxtools
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <6875@shlump.nac.dec.com> barrett@meridn.enet.dec.com (Keith Barrett) writes:
>In article <89331.160432F44169@BARILVM.BITNET>, F44169@BARILVM.BITNET (Gerald Steinberg) writes...
>>
>>I would like to convert my XT into a possible FAX transmitter
>>and receiver.  Can anyone out there tell me what type of FAX/Modem
>>I need, as well as other equipment (software),and cost. I am not
>>much of professional in this area,so please make replies simple.
>>Thanks
>
>I'm in the same situation and wanted to add my voice (text?) to the request.

A ggod place to start would be by digging up the issue of PC magazine where
they reviewed several FAX boards & their features (if anyone wants the
particular issue date & volume number email me & I'll look it up; Right now
I'm not at work & don't have access to my magazine shelf).  Most decent FAX
boards come with software which supports:

Sending FAX to a Group 3 FAX machine
Receiving FAX from any Group 3 machine (most also support G.2 compatibility
          				I think)
Printing Received FAX on a PC printer
The ability to send an ASCII file out as FAX
Two modular phone jacks (one for the wall & another for a phone)
The ability to specify the number of rings the FAX board should wait
before answering (this allows you to grab the phone for a voice call you
are expecting if you want)
At least 4800 baud support for FAX communications

Additional desirable features which may be found on some FAX boards:

An onboard processor (80188s seem to be popular for this)
Onboard memory (64K & 256K seem to be the popular choices)
Background operation (usually hooked in via a TSR)
Volume controls (I think most support a speaker)
The ability to take a print stream from an application & reroute it to FAX
Scanner support for input of source documents to be FAXed
Compatibility with one of the common PC Paint formats
9600 baud support for FAX communications
An add on board for normal telecommunications (non FAX; These are usually
at least 1200 baud & more commonly becoming available are 2400 baud; I won't
go into why the FAX board can't be used as a normal 4800 or 9600 baud modem
here; Note that a lot of FAX boards don't have the option to be used as normal
modems or even have the capability added via a piggyback board).
The ability to display FAX on your PCs monitor
The ability to build a directory of FAX phone numbers which can be
selected via a menu.
Stand alone commands which don't require the TSR to be loaded for use in things
like batch files (these generally concern transmission aspects of FAX)

I have gleaned the above by reading all the FAX articles I or anyone at our
center could lay their hands on.  For our purposes, I got it down to two
boards (our purpose is to develop some custom software to "gateway" FAX to
the Internet via TCP/IP;  If you want more info on this let me know --
I posted a summary up here a few months back).  The two boards were the
Quadram JT FAX 9600 and the Intel Connection Coprocessor (both have onboard
processors & memory & support true background operation).

We decided to go with the Quadram JT FAX for the following reasons:

1.) The availability of a "Programmer's Toolkit".
2.) The lower price ($557 educational price from Quadram for Educational
		      instituations direct; Mailorder prices around $500
		     via "Computer Shopper")
3.) The ability to intercept Epson print streams and send as FAX (I haven't
    used this for anything yet, but it's got lots of potential)
4.) A lot of folks developing FAX email gateways and such have already
    successfully used the Quadram as their base)

There are probably more reasons that I just don't recall right now.  The
upshot of it is that we have had two Quadram JT FAX 9600 boards since this
spring & have been very happy with them thus far (Quadram seems to give some
pretty good documentation on this board from the programmer's standpoint as
well as posting software utility updates on a bboard).

It should be noted that Quadram sells a *much* less expensive ($200-250)
FAX board which only supports 4800 baud maximum.  I don't think all the featuresof the JT FAX 9600 board apply to the Quadram FAX 4800 board ( I have no
experience with it, but if cost is critical, I would certainly read the reviews again and compare it on the basis of features other than the obvious speed
difference).  My memory of it is that the reviews were fairly favorable.

Incidently, QUadram sold their FAX line to Hayes.  Hayes has a toll free
support line (and a toll free BBS if I remember right).  I had
ocasion to call them & ask about scanner drivers lately (the HP Scanjet is
supported, but the Scanjet plus isn't yet).  I downloaded the JT FAX 9600
Programmer's Toolkit and a new utility called FAXC which was instrumental
in the successful demoing of the feasibility of our FAX gateway at a CICNET
Librarians meeting in Chicago. I asked the SYSOP on the Bboard & received
permission to make the Toolkit available via Anonymous FTP on
nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu    userid:  anonymous
			     password:  your email address
					or just "guest" if you're lazy.

the directory is pub/faxtools

Certainly don't take what I say as the final word on selecting a FAX board;
Read the reviews, talk to the vendors, find the board which meets your needs
(think about a year down the road when you do though if you don't want
to outgrow it too soon).

Hope this helps.

-=-
Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's
Davros sez:   When my Daleks compute they use X-TER-MI-NALS!