[comp.archives] Sources from Hall's 'Illumination and Color in Computer Generated Imagery comp.graphics

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (01/05/90)

Archive-name: hall-illumination/how-to-get
Archive-site: freedom.graphics.cornell.edu [128.84.247.85]
Archive-directory: pub/Hall
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In article <2284@isaak.isa.de> schwarze@isaak.uucp (Jochen Schwarze) writes:

>I want to display the color spectrum of a rainbow. The wavelengths
>of visible light approximately run from 400 nm to 800 nm. So I'm
>looking for a function that maps a wavelength to the appropriate RGB
>triple. Has anybody done this? Any pointers appreciated.

	Nope.  Nobody has done this. :-)

Okay, okay.  If I wasn't going to help, I wouldn't post.  Dusting off
some of my books on the shelf, I see the traditional (if a text that
was only published last year can be traditional) solution for me.

Roy Hall, "Illumination and Color in Computer Generated Imagery"
1989 Springer-Verlag, ISBN 0-387-96774-5

Hall presents source code to precisely what you wish.  I believe that
you can even ftp the source from freedom.graphics.cornell.edu. (Yup,
I just checked, in pub/Hall)

Mark VandeWettering